Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

need help with aftermarket tail lights....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Default need help with aftermarket tail lights....

I just installed some aftermarket tail lights and i have a few questions. one of which is, the lights fit snug in their places and powered up nicely, but do i need to secure them with any glue to ensure they stay? will they leak water if i dont? also, the bolts that hold the interior matting to the vehicle broke. those are the plastic little ****s that didnt want to stay together when i pulled them out with my tool. would i be able to buy those at the dealership? thanks!

Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Default RE: need help with aftermarket tail lights....

Did the aftermarket lights not come with the same little studs for securing to body with 2 10mm nuts from inside trunk?
The little plastic clips are available also. What color are they?

Old 11-17-2005, 01:48 AM

everything came with the tail lights..... but the plastic clips that came with the vehicle itself are the ones i need to replace. they are dark gray colored. if i had a picture of them, i would show you.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 AM

I already know what they look like so no need for a picture. Will get you a part # for the clips you need so you will not have to deal with that when you go to get new ones. Parts dept is sometimes not with the program if you know what I mean.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 PM

thanks alot, yeah i dont wanna be waiting around just for them to determine the parts number. that happens so much nowadays and i dont exactly know why it is so difficult haha. but oh well, **** happens.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:14 PM

Sending pic just to double check that we are thinking of the same little clips. The center piece should pull out about a 1/4 inch and then pull right out. Sometimes they do not always cooperate though as you found out. Part # GJ21-68-885B-02. Retail for a dollar each. Don't see any local dealers that stock so may have to order ahead. Color choices were black or beige so I gave you number for black.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/A6AE07BF32DF40F69501D4ABA9DD2D2B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 AM

alright, thank you very much. I'll drop by the dealer and hopefully they will have a few stocked. if not, its no big deal to wait until i get them ordered in.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:16 PM

is there a special tool that is needed to take out those pins, i just couldnt grasp it by hand or by fingernail and it is rather difficult to just pry out the little bitches with ease. maybe its just because i havent done it before haha.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:38 PM

No real special tool. If am unable to pry the little center button up with a fingernail then use a small flat head screwdriver to help. Then entire clip should pull out of the panel. Look at the new ones when you get them and you will see how the center button expands the outer portion of the clip kind of like a drywall anchor.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:54 AM

thank you very much, i got my clips now and they are all able to be prieyed out with a fingernail. i've always worked with bolts that you needed to just yank em out with a door panel tool. now i've come in contact with a new area of bolts heh heh.

Quick Reply: need help with aftermarket tail lights....