Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazdaspeed 6 - Replacing OEM Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Default Mazdaspeed 6 - Replacing OEM Body Kit

All,

I am seriously considering purchasing a 06’ Mazdaspeed 6 very soon. The only thing holding me back is that I cannot stand the looks of the OEM body kit. As well, I do not care for the rear taillights or lip spoiler. I do however really like the OEM kit on the 03’-05’ 6s, as well as the tails and spoiler. Any chance these could be swapped easily? I could live with the front bumper and maybe the side skirts, but then a swap of the rear bumper may not match up well.

Fyi... I currently drive a 05’ Type-S and absolutely love it but it is time for it to go as my daughter will be stepping up to a bigger car seat soon and 4-doors will make our lives so much easier. We drove a TSX, EVO, and LGT first. The wife hated the EVO. The TSX was my choice for awhile since I am partial to Honda’s, then it was the LGT when I found out what torque was… and now I drove a Speed 6 yesterday and was very impressed. It was the cheapest car too. My wife will be so proud! Though, I refuse to drive it with the full body kit it has. I’m sure some of you like the way the Speed 6 looks as is… and I’m sure others will agree with me. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Default RE: Mazdaspeed 6 - Replacing OEM Body Kit

One more thing... I do not like the rims. That is an easy fix though. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:34 AM

front/rear fascias are unique to the Mazdaspeed6. The taillights will swap right in. Not sure how the lip spoiler attaches (if you remove the liner on the inside of the trunk lid you should be able to tell if it will leave holes or not.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:07 AM

Any update guys? I found the car I want but really need to know if a sport bumper will fit on the rear? That is my biggest concern. Exhaust is an easy fix for me; I just need to know if it will bolt up and match the rear fenders.

sstlaure,

I read on another forum that it may actually fit. How do you know it is unique?

Mike

Old 10-29-2006, 01:22 PM

I know that the Mazdaspeed6 has unique hood & grille (power bulge) the headlights are the same. Not sure if the fenders got any flare for the MS6 or not.

All of the interfacing surfaces would need to be the same for the base 6 body to work on your Speed (The rear bumper probably would be able to go on either model.)

I was an engineer on the Mazda6 from 2001-2006, so I'm very familiar with many of the various changes over the years.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:20 PM

sstlaure,

thanks for the info. The rear bumper is my only big concern anymore so this is good news. What choices do I have for availble rear bumpers? Where all the 03-06' sport bumpers the same? Whats out there that is OEM?

Old 10-30-2006, 04:21 PM

Reflector position/size changed from 03/04 to the 05/06 model....pick the one you like The body didn't change, and neither did the trunk, so any of those years should be interchangable.

There are i model or s model rear bumpers, and then there are aftermarket bumpers out there (both standalone and add on top of the stock bumper types.)