Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda ignoring pattern of complaints

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Default Mazda ignoring pattern of complaints

Seems like a lot of premature engine failures on the 3.0L. Mine went at 81 k, have seen many posts with blown engines in the 40k range. Mazda knows about this, yet fails to acknowledge, going so far as to deny warranty claims.
I wrote to the president of Mazda, requesting assistance, and got a flat no. They even stated, in writing, that they would not have covered the repair even if under warranty.
As much as I have enjoyed driving my Mazda6, I DO NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING A VEHICLE FORM THIS MANUFACTURER. They do not stand behind their product.
If you have had a similar problem with your 6, please contact me:
ahandel@comcast.net

Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AHan
I wrote to the president of Mazda, requesting assistance, and got a flat no. They even stated, in writing, that they would not have covered the repair even if under warranty.

AHan, as far as the "flat no" is concerned the car is out of warranty so Mazdas legal obligation is over. If you bought the car new, you know that. Its what you agreed to when you bought it.
I'll grant you that Mazda does not seem to be the most forgiving company when it comes to claims, but keep in mind that they are a relatively small company too. That if they honored every minor complaint or every out-of-warranty complaint that customers had, they would certainly be out of business altogether.
W/81k on the clock, your car is +/-45k past the warranty for defects (assuming the 36/36k warranty.) How far would you expect any company offering any product to go under those circumstances?

As far as them stating "they would not have covered the repair even if under warranty," I would have to guess that there are mitigating circumstances. e.g. That the car was purchased used w/o a transferable warranty. Or perhaps it was modded or raced and that has been documented. Perhaps the car was in an accident and has a rebuilt title? Also, if you could not produce records that the car was maintained, that too would be a reason to disallow even a valid warranty claim.
I don't know for sure. I'm just throwing out guesses. I do know that car companies don't just deny rightful claims for no reason.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 AM

Actually no, the car was never raced, never modified, never red-lined. Despite the claim that they would send an inspector the District office never looked at the car. The dealer's service manager told me the initial response was they wouldn't even contribute part of the cost since I didn't have "ALL" of the service done at the dealer. This, despite service records detailing maintenance beyond Mazda recommendations, and that I was service writer at an independent shop. There were NO mitigating circumstances. The reality is it was just another smokescreen and is Mazda's standard operating procedure.
Mazda had a 50k warranty, not 36k, and yes, I realize they have no legal obligation, but well-cared for engines should not need replacing at 81k. I referred to other complaints people had when losing their engines at 40k or less (within warranty) and Mazda flatly denying responsibility. I have the letter froom Mazda which very clearly states they would not have fixed this even if still under warranty. Why they would admit that is beyond me, but I'm sure my lawyer will be glad it's in there.
This IS a pattern, and their treatment is insulting. I choose not to do business with a company that has so little respect for its customers.

Last edited by AHan; 01-20-2010 at 07:18 AM.