Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Losing power in mazda 6 diesel sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Default Losing power in mazda 6 diesel sport

Hello, im new to this forum and hope im posting this in the correct place.

I have a Mazda 6 Sport Diesel 2 litre 2004 model, the problem i'm having is that the car begins to lose power after about half an hours driving and it basically will stall going up hill, no matter how hard i press on the accelerator.

I have found that the fuel filter prime button is always soft and once i reprime this and leave the car for about 30 mins it works fine again and drives normally.

I have changed the fuel filter and this has not helped.

can anyone help.

thanks in advance

Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Sounds like it's not getting the proper amount of diesel to the engine,(especially if you have to keep priming it) have you checked your injection pump. A friend of mine has a 6.5 litre turbo diesel GMC truck and had the same problem your having, granted they are different engines but his injection pump wasn't getting enough diesel from the inline secondary pump, which caused loss of power and spuddering at high RPMs to the point of stalling.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 AM

Hi,

I have not experienced this with my Mazda, but in my Saab I had a similar issue which was down to the EGR valve getting blocked up and not opening properly. Saab changed the EGR and it was fine afterwards, but it did throw a Check Engine Light.

Also, not wishing to be a doom monger, but if you google "mazda diesel turbo" you should get a link to the www.honestjohn.co.uk forums which have 3 pages of faults relating to the Mazda 2.0D engine losing power because the common rail fuel pump starts to fail resulting in major engine failures. It might be worth investigating before anything big goes wrong.

Good luck

Garry