Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Default lights

i have two twelve audiobahns in my trunk and my headlights are recently started flickering and then went out ive had the subs for almost a year and ive never had a problem so i was wonder do you think its the battery or just the lights any suggestions. if i get never lights liek HID's or soemthing do you think ill have the same problem?

Old 06-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Default RE: lights

you said the lights went out. burned out? if so did you replace them and with what result?

Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 PM

do you have a capacitor installed on your stereo system? A capacitor is installed between the amplifier and the battery on the power wire. A capacitor holds voltage so when your subwoofers hits most of the power is taken from the capactor and not the battery, which would stop your lights from flashing. If you are running of 500 watts you will need a 2 farad capacitor.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:45 PM

Maybe I should get a capacitor. I am just too lazy and don't feel like spending the money but I am running almost 1000 watts. Hmm this was a great question to ask 666mazda.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: 04maz6

do you have a capacitor installed on your stereo system? A capacitor is installed between the amplifier and the battery on the power wire. A capacitor holds voltage so when your subwoofers hits most of the power is taken from the capactor and not the battery, which would stop your lights from flashing. If you are running of 500 watts you will need a 2 farad capacitor.
i disagree! the alternator makes power for the vehicles electrical system including the stereo system. the battery serves to start the engine and filter ripple voltage from the alternator. if your lights are flickering from your audio system your likely drawing too much power and will need to upgrade your alternator to a high-output alternator. I say likely because lights can flicker from bad grounds, bad wiring, etc. for additonal explanation of why caps are not the solution go to http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...D=70900&KW=cap also do a search about caps

Old 06-09-2006, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: yeahthatsme

ORIGINAL: 04maz6

i disagree! the alternator makes power for the vehicles electrical system including the stereo system. the battery serves to start the engine and filter ripple voltage from the alternator. if your lights are flickering from your audio system your likely drawing too much power and will need to upgrade your alternator to a high-output alternator. I say likely because lights can flicker from bad grounds, bad wiring, etc. for additonal explanation of why caps are not the solution go to www.the12volt.com and do a search about caps
yeah the alternator is the problem here, but yes the capacitor will solve it too. you're both right I just don't think you realize how the capacitor works and could help this situation out. The capacitor draws energy slowly to not effect the engine, lights, windows, power steering, and anything electrically operated. But when your woofers want to sap a huge ammount of power it doesn't take it from the current supplied by the laternator, but rather uses the stored energy that the capacitor was slowly obtaining.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:57 AM

definitely agree that both beefing up the alternator is a great solution as well as using capacitors is another great solution. if i were to do this, i would beef up the alternator as it can carry so much power that you will never have to worry about not giving your vehicle enough power while running your subs. well, that is unless you are running 4000watts worth of subs and cranking it. in that case, you can also use some capacitors to eliminate light flickering and such. i would also go with an alternator first because i would like my trunk area to look clean and nother bombarded with capacitors. ya know

Old 06-15-2006, 12:56 PM

do the lights work when the stereo is off? If so then a capacitor is probably the answer. If not then the problem is somewhere else. Did you replace the bulbs? They may have just burnt out. Are you having any other electrical problems? The 110amp alternator the mazda 6 uses is more than enough for your stereo. How many amps is the fuse/circuit breaker you are using in the engine bay?

My best guess. You have stressed your electrical system over the past year and your headlights got uneven amount of current and the bulbs blew out..or something in the wiring chain to the lights. Replace the bulbs...get a capacitor. 1 farad will be more than enough, unless you are in SPL competitions. I ran 2000 watts RMS to 1 12" eclipse with a 130 amp alternator in a mustang with a 1 farad capacitor and had ZERO voltage problems. The beauty of having a voltage gauge on the dash.

I think the problem may be unrelated to your stereo though. Please list all problems you have had with your electrical system. What you have replaced/checked in terms of bulbs fuses relays ect. that will help us help you