Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Jerky trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Default Jerky trans

Hi all im new to this forum and i was reading about others having a jerkey feeling on their automatic trans while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I have an 05 6s manual. When I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd i get a really hard jerkey vibration from under the hood. I typically dont drive the car hard. I have tried to bring it to the dealer but after the car has run for a while its hard to duplicate the problem. So, of course when the dealer is in the car it never happens because the car has been running. Any suggestions on this problem???

Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Default RE: Jerky trans

check on 6tech. there was an TSB with "clutch chatter" on the manauls, but not sure the year and whatnot of the recall. and i don't know if that would even apply to your issue, but hey, it's a reason for them to look at the tranny under warranty?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:42 AM

leave it a t the dealer so he could experience the vibe when it's cold at start-up , be sure to be there before they check it , so you don't get the run-around b.s. and go test drive it with him ... let us know

oh ya make sure it's a certified mechanic for the test drive , 'cause if it's the service clerk trying to explain it to the mech. then you'll have to come another day again when it's cold [:@]

Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 AM

My recall for the jerky trans was for the TCM and PCM. Could be the same for you. PM babyhuey and ask him. He's a Mazda Tech.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:38 PM

had the same problem on my 2005 mazda6s... it was an auto, but it had the PCM and TCM reflashed and the problem has since then corrected itself. sometimes, those items just get out-of-whack for whatever reason. To even further correct the problem, I put in a cold air intake and the ride is verrrry smooth now! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-14-2006, 03:06 PM

I've had my Mazda6 a few days now (brand new '06! ) and the TripTronic transmission acts like it's "slipping" on the 1st-2nd shift. All the other seem ok. After experimenting a little, it seems more prone to do it when the car is around 4000RPM. Before that is less likely to, and after that is less likely.

What it does, and I'll do my best to explain here, is not shift right when I bump the shift lever. It waits about 1000-2500 RPM more after that, sometimes sounding like it's between gears and kind of in a neutral rev, then it finally latches onto 2nd. It latches on smoothly for the most part, but it is definitely not a performance shift.

Does this sound related to the problem that needs the PCM & TCM reflashed, or something else anyone has heard of? Plus, I'm not sure if it's part of the break-in or not. I highly doubt it - transmission sync should be there from mile one I would think.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2006, 12:12 PM

I let the car get to the 600 mile break in point, then finally let it loose to see what it would do. I think that may have helped it sort out something going on with the shifts, because the sport shift seems to be working better now. I'm going to play with it some more and make sure.

Maybe the computer was still adjusting? Beats me.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:13 PM

okay, I use the triponic transmission on a daily basis.... what you are experiencing is pretty common. When shifting from first to second gear, the gear shift will take place from around 1800 rpm to 2000 rpm if you do it at the right time. (typicall when you hit around 1200 rpm you click the triponic trigger so that it will shift into 2nd gear at that time). Now remember, 1st gear is your torque gear and that is verrry important. You need to get all of the power you can out of 1st gear to get your car going (that would explain why it shifts at 2000 rpm). After you hit 2nd gear, you do have to hit higher rpms in order to get to the next higher gear.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:56 PM

i think people are missing that he has a manual. a computer update won't effect the feel of the stick/clutch. i think 6pack had it right in leaving there overnight and coming back first thing in the morning (if you are sure it's repeatable).

Old 03-17-2006, 01:23 AM

dealer said it was just cold trans fluid... eh i think they are trying to get out of work if u ask me

Quick Reply: Jerky trans