Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Default Intake?

Was wondering what kind of intake i could go with for an 05 mazda6. Any reconmendations? Any opinions would be sweet.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by MakeShiftMazda
Was wondering what kind of intake i could go with for an 05 mazda6. Any reconmendations? Any opinions would be sweet.
What are you trying to accomplish with the intake?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM

One thing i can tell you is that unless they fixed the version from Injen for a 2003 for the 2005, i would not buy it. They will cause your check engine light to stay on all the time unless you buy a chip from CPE to override it.

And i can assume he is trying to accomplish the same thing with an intake that anyone else would, ramming more, cooler, air into the car. Yes i know it is only about a 3-5HP gain but it is still worth getting especially if you plan to later get a good CAT back exhaust to go with it. The sound the engine bay makes alone with the intake will put a grin on your face.

Last edited by steimy; 02-17-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM

So you would have to chip it to get rid or the check engine light? Damn that sucks cause with an intake it would sound mint. It already soundss good but with that extra pep it would be awesome. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Not sure about the injen model for the 2005. But back in 2004 when i bought mine for my 2003 6S i found out after i bought it that i needed to chip it to keep the CEL from staying on.

They may have fixed that problem by now. But i would hope someone here would be able to answer you as to a model that doesn't cause a CEL. Surely someone must have one installed. It is just that these forums seem very slow with the answers.

You may want to try doing a search of these forums for intakes because i once asked this question, and i think someone listed a version that will not have any CEL issues. But for me it was after the fact and i was not about to put out another $200+ for a new one.

***EDIT***
I found the post, they say the Mazdaspeed AEM intake will not give you a CEL
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/sho...ghlight=intake

Last edited by steimy; 02-18-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Thats sweet thank you. Now whats the difference between cai and a short ram? Is there any difference? And if there is a difference then which would be ideal?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM

The ram intake is a shorter tube and would usually sit somewhere just under the hood in the engine bay. The CAI (cold air intake) goes all the way down into the drivers side wheel well where it would pick up cooler air than that found in the engine bay.

Cooler air is more condensed and therefore would produce slightly more HP. That is why some people notice that their car seems to have a little more pep in the step during the winter months than it does in summer. Cooler more condensed air is better for combustion.

I will say that the CAI tends to be a bit more work when cleaning the filter because you have to access it from under the car. Taking off the plastic lining on the drivers side wheel well is the only way i personally know that you are able to get at the filter for cleaning and re-installing.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by steimy
Cooler more condensed air is better for combustion.
Actually it's the other way around; the warmer the air the more efficient the combustion via-à-via any given amount of fuel (which is a big reason why cars get better fuel economy in the summer). What cooler air provides is a heavier intake charge for any given volume of air, and this in turn causes your engine to inject more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio in balance (hence the slight bump in power at WOT with a CAI, and/or in the cold winter months).

Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM

If you are worried about CEL's go with AEM. They are the same size as the stock intake so no CEL, have the dryflow filter so no oiling, and the mazdaspeed intake is simply a re-branded AEM intake anyways, also they come in both CAI and SRI configurations. Also, if you have the v6 the CPE intake with it's mafci wil give the biggest boost in power, but for the 4 cyl, they all make about the same gains.

If all you are looking for is the sound, you can also mod the air box by basically gutting it. It'll give you a growl when you get on the gas and doesn't cost a dime, however you will not see any gains from this.

Last edited by CKeffer; 02-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Actually it's the other way around; the warmer the air the more efficient the combustion via-à-via any given amount of fuel (which is a big reason why cars get better fuel economy in the summer). What cooler air provides is a heavier intake charge for any given volume of air, and this in turn causes your engine to inject more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio in balance (hence the slight bump in power at WOT with a CAI, and/or in the cold winter months).
Interesting, i guess i have just always heard the opposite. It was explained to me that colder air was not only more dense, but therefor contained more O2. And that because you would have more 02 during the combustion you would produce more power. Although it would cause the engine to inject more fuel as well to accomplish this. And that this was the reason that cars were getting better fuel economy in the summer. Also that the colder more dense and 02 rish air produces a much more efficient combustion. Which is why it increases HP and torque.

But this is just how it was explained to me, i am by no means an expert on the subject. Thank you for the information, i guess some more research is in order.

Last edited by steimy; 02-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake?