Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

How do you drive your TripTronic shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Default How do you drive your TripTronic shifter?

I was told that you should let off the gas when shifting the car manually using the TripTronic transmission. Is this true? It seems to do fine without letting off the gas. The reason I asked was because first gear seemed like it had some "slip" in it, and someone said I should let off the gas to prevent that.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Default RE: How do you drive your TripTronic shifter?

you are allowed to keep gassing your vehicle as you use your triptronic shifter. you dont have to slam on the gas to get your car going, simply accelerating at your own timely pace and then pressing the shifter to the (+) will nicely put you into 2nd gear. You want to hit the shifter around 1200 rpm (estimate from my experience) when you are in first gear to get you into 2nd gear before over-revving your car.

As for shifting without pressing your accelerator to your car, you can do so while cruising down a hill and the car can shift without having any gassing applied.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:49 PM

many people have found it "feels" that the shift is a bit quicker if you let off the gas for a sec. some people do this as relegion, some do it sometimes, some never. i say try it out and see what you like better, you won't have any ill effects either way.

also, if you want quicker shifts you can always get valvebodies to do the job. i swear by mine on my 6i and my roommate just ordered his for his V6. it's an amazing difference. depending on load it shift much faster than i can shift in my girlfriends mini. Lentech sells em for the 6i (4 speed version) and CP-E sells em for the Jatco (03-05 model V6). if you don't have those models, you can hit up levelten and they can do just about anything.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: the_gray_mazda6

you are allowed to keep gassing your vehicle as you use your triptronic shifter. you dont have to slam on the gas to get your car going, simply accelerating at your own timely pace and then pressing the shifter to the (+) will nicely put you into 2nd gear. You want to hit the shifter around 1200 rpm (estimate from my experience) when you are in first gear to get you into 2nd gear before over-revving your car.

As for shifting without pressing your accelerator to your car, you can do so while cruising down a hill and the car can shift without having any gassing applied.
1200 RPM? That's very low isn't it? The car idles at 750! I guess you mean for normal everyday driving.

If you'r flooring it, what's the optimal shift point for 1st-2nd? Or do you guys usually leave it in auto mode for that? It makes sense for straight line acceleration to leave it in auto and use the manual shift for curvy, uphill/downhill roads.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:46 PM

I use the triptronic shifter for normal driving... if i want to romp on my car a bit, i use auto mode.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:51 PM

I guess for AutoX or track someone would use the manual shift. I wonder how performance oriented the sport shift is in the Mazda6? Or if it's more of a "fun" factor because it's a sedan?

Either way, I like it. [sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 PM

The tiptronic is pretty much a fun factor in the car, it doesnt really provide any enhacements, except for more control over your car, especially if you are used to driving a stick shift. i drive mine in manual mode almost all the time, especially on the freeway, in open traffic. i will usually shift from 1st-2nd at about 3500-4000rpm, since redline is 6500 and the rev-limiter kicks in at 7000rpm, in all gears. I have the 3i w/2.0L and you can really rev this engine with no problem, cruising on the freeway, when i hit 5000rpm, going about 85mph, i can feel it want to go more,

Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 PM

ok i got some beef with my auot tranny

i have an 03 6i
when i am driving it wont let me shift out of first gear until i have gonme over 2k rpms
and even though its in autostick mode it still downshifts when i floor it.
also when i come to a stop it downshifts for me too, what gives? if i wanted it to shift on its own or when it wanted to i would leave it in D

is there a way to fix it or am i stuck with a car thaty shifts on its own

Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 PM

My car acutally does the same thing, it is not a tru tiptronic transmission in the way that the BMW is set up. i have not checked on it with the dealer, but from other people on the forum, it is set up to do that, you just have to catch it before is downshifts when slowing, and shift yourself. i can shift out of first, sitting at a stop light, they actually recommend shifting to 2nd when starting up an incline, just to have the torque pulling you. Mine will actually on shift from 4th to 3rd when i step on the gas, but it depends on your rpm. The BMW is set up like a true mtx, with full control of the shifting, i wish we had that setup.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:18 PM

at the end of the day though, your tiptronic is just an automatic tranny...you do not need to remove your foot from the accelerator when using the "maunual" shift mode because its an auto trans.

Quick Reply: How do you drive your TripTronic shifter?