Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

help with my 18" rims please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Default help with my 18" rims please!!!

i have a 06 mazda 6s v6 5 speed with about 15000 miles. the car came with 17" stock rims. i recently put on 18s but they rub in the back whenever i have 2 or more people in the car while making a sharp turn or hitting a bump. i do have 2 12" subs weighing no more than 50 pounds in the trunk. i dont know why it would rub. i dont wanna spend much more on doing the suspension or just spending more money in that case. the rims are 18" with 225 40 18 tires.can anyone please help!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Default RE: help with my 18" rims please!!!

OK, don't panic, chances are this is fixable without major surgery. First off, what is the offset of the wheels and what size tires are you running? Second is it rubbing alot, or just a bit? Answers to these questions will help us solve your problem faster, cause as it is now the solution could be anything from buy smaller aspect ratio tires, or rolling the fender, all the way to the most extreme solution of buying new wheels.

-Cameron Keffer

Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 AM

i dont know what the offset is but the tires are 225 40 18. i dont want run 35s on it cause that way too thin and especially with the roads here i dont wanna crack my rims. i tried the fenders, it rolled in a little bit. but it only rubs once in a while when im driving by myself or with 1 passenger while making a sharp turn or going over certain bumps. i havent drove with people in the back yet cause i had my friends sit in the back and theres probably like a quarter inch clearance. i dont wanna get new rims or tires cause id rather do the springs or shocks if i have to. im trying to figure out which one (shocks or springs) will actully help. some one told me to get some wheel spacers saying that will help. the spacers are the cheapest option so far but i dont know if it will help and i dont know what size to get. and i dont know if i rolled the fenders correctly. i used a 4x4 and pushed it back a little but it wont go anymore, i tried using a bat but it didnt work. thanks for your reply.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Offset is critical when replacing wheels, asis the width. You don't state either.
These cars have a very deep offset of +60mm. It's hard to get AM wheels thatwill fitand not rub, and you've bumped up the diameter 1" also.
If the wheel you got are an inch wider (8") and a (i.e.) +42mm offset, you are pushing the wheel out toward the fender lipover an inch... .7" with the different offset alone, and adding more stress to wheels bearing and axles!Plus, the front end geometry has been messed with and youroverallsuspension performance would suck.
Of course that's only an example.
Find out more about the wheels you've installed and perhaps we can help you out of this situation a bit better.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 AM

the rims are DBL-G 105 18x8, the offset is 40mm and the bolt patternis 5x114.3

Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

There's your problem right there!! You're -20mm away from the intended OE offset, plus you're adding 1" (25.4mm) to the overall width of the wheel itself.
A spacer will only make the problem worse. You'd be going in the wrong direction. You need to get the wheel back under the wheel well more.

Also, as I indicated before, pushing the wheel off its natural center (as designed by the Mazda engineers) that much really screws up the geometry of the suspension.The car is designed for +60mm offsets. Youare nearlyan inch (0.7874") out of spec per side.You're handling is liable to suffer. Steering? Almost certainly. Tire wear will be greater in the front. And, your causing the car to "hang itself," adding to the lever as it were, putting greater stress on the wheel bearings, springs, shocks and the other suspension components. In short, everything will wear out faster.

Now, said that, because of this phenomenon, you are not splitting up the extra inch between the inside and outside as it should be. If you were the problem would be muchbetter as the wheel would not sit as far out toward the fender edge.
Here's how I got there. Keep in mind that these measurements are relative to the mounting surface:
Rear Front
OE wheel, 17x7" et+60mm =148.9mm (5.86") 28.9mm (1.14") = 7"
AM wheel, 18x8" et+40mm = 141.6mm (5.575") 61.6mm (2.425")= 8"

Goal w/an 8" AM wheel, no matter what the diameterwould be (et+60mm):
161.6mm(6.37") & 41.6mm (1.63")= 8"

You can see just how far off the wheels you have are from ideal, and why you are experiencing the problems that you are with them. Offsets are the constant in any vehicle. Can you see that? A +50mm wheel would be far superior to the +40's you have now.I wouldn't run them on my 3 and it's factory offset is less @+52.5mm.Even a +48mm would be amarked improvement.

If I wuz U, I'd get rid of those things, take them back from whence they came if you can,and buy some that are more closely matched, geometrically speaking, to the OE's. IMO, you're only asking for trouble with these, as they are wrong for your vehicle.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

These are what you're talking about? These are what you bought?
They are primarily for trucks,SUVs and riced out late model Chevy Impalas? You're not driving an Impala, are you?
You could get a +42mm offset, but then you'd have to change over to a 4 lug bolt pattern.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

These are what you're talking about? These are what you bought?
They are primarily for trucks,SUVs and riced out late model Chevy Impalas? You're not driving an Impala, are you?
You could get a +42mm offset, but then you'd have to change over to a 4 lug bolt pattern.

[align=center][/align]
You mean the late 90s Impalas driven by pimps, drug dealers, and NBA players? [8D]

Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Ech-eh-eh. Ummmmmm... YEAH! Those are the ones!! 22-28" wheels/tires? Jacked up all-around just so they fit?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM

[:'(]on the rims
sorry about the problem lol.
like stated above, watch out for the offset when your lookin for new wheels.
i often see alota people that only worry about size and profile and width, and are rubbing and dont know why.
me personally, would advise u get different rims:P but hey...if u like them its your car and thats wat matter
gl

Quick Reply: help with my 18" rims please!!!