Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

grinding / buzzing / mechanical noise from fuel tank area after car switch off

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 12:35 AM
Default grinding / buzzing / mechanical noise from fuel tank area after car switch off

I drive a 2021 Mazda 6 GT auto with petrol turbo engine with 100K on the clock. When temperature is > 40 degrees Celsius and after long use on that type of day, usually with 3/4 full tank, when switching car off, a grinding / buzzing / mechanical noise comes from the rear of the car with an accompanying smell of fuel vapour. The vapour smell also finds its way into the cabin to the dismay of my wife. It lasts (the noise) for up to 5 minutes and stops when the car cools down. Otherwise the car runs normally when the weather is not that hot.

It's now happened twice, always when over 40 degrees, on the second occasion when the noise came back I decided to open the fuel cap when stopped / turned off and the fumes gushed out with pressure release (expected). But I noticed that as soon as I released the cap / fumes, the mechanical noise stopped instantly at the same time, which is another clue?

The car runs fine at that temperature otherwise.

I'm thinking the fuel pump is on the way out but would appreciate your educated opinions / guidance.

I've mentioned this to the service / dealer also with a video, and they say they checked everything and can't find anything (wow what a surprise ), even after dropping the tank which concerns me as I take the car on regional trips as part of my work, and I would hate to get stranded at Bourke with this problem.
Any feedback is appreciated.