Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Electrical issues, DSC and courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 10:26 PM
Default Electrical issues, DSC and courtesy lights

So I changed the front CV axles last weekend (easier than I expected, glad I didnt pay shop $1200 they quoted me). Got the same new axles the shop reccomended (FEQ) for $200 online and installed new Monroe quick struts and some new end links while I had it all apart. (Also did matching rear shocks and four wheel brake fluid flush).

On the test drive I found the DSC will not engage. I need to troubleshoot it this weekend. I was careful to hang the calipers and unmounted the sensor wires so it did not get pulled while I had it apart. Is this likely to be a wheel sensor issue? Did I misassemble something on the hub or CV axle? I would appreciate any suggestions for things to check to help determine the root cause and correct this issue. The dash light is annoying and I would like the DSC/TCS to work when my son is driving it.

I also noticed the dome lights flicker on/off when doing extreme cornering/donuts in a parking lot (not the first time). I suspect the body twist is causing the door closed sensor/switch to disengage momentarily. I have not looked too closely. Where are these switches located in a 2010 6? My son and I took the rear doors apart and installed some new speakers and we need to do the fronts this weekend so figured I would futz with it while it is apart and see if the switchs can be adjusted or tightened...

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2020, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Apart from removing the wheels and having a good look over the brakes & suspension to see if something looks wrong, you will need to scan it for fault codes and go from there.

Door ajar sensors are built into the door latch/lock mechanism assembly. Unless the instrument cluster shows individual doors vs a general door ajar lamp, you will need a scan tool that shows live data from the BCM to inspect the PIDS for each door.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Apart from removing the wheels and having a good look over the brakes & suspension to see if something looks wrong, you will need to scan it for fault codes and go from there.

Door ajar sensors are built into the door latch/lock mechanism assembly. Unless the instrument cluster shows individual doors vs a general door ajar lamp, you will need a scan tool that shows live data from the BCM to inspect the PIDS for each door.
Thank you. I just got back from a short drive and did not have the DSC light issue. Seems to be working now so maybe it reset? I did check with my OBDII reader and have no fault codes in the system.

I also took a good look around the door frames and doors and did not see a switch so figured it may be part of the latch (like on the BMW). Thank you for confirming. What is BCM and PIDS? (Base Control Module?)

So is there an inexpensive scan tool/software I can buy for this car? Something like a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the OBD2 port and an android app or laptop SW to read this data? They have apps for BMWs now and you can easily code software in your car too. A few years ago I had to get special software in my laptop with a special cable to the OBD2 and got taught how to code the individual computer modules to make changes. It was a PITA but there was a local guy from forums that would do meetups every few months and teach people how to do it.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

BCM = Body control Module, another computer in the car, which controls lights, doors etc

PIDS = Parameter ID's, the data that the computers send & receive.

As to scan tools, I'm not sure. I only use MMDS ( Mazda Module Diagnostic Scan ) Mazda's own scan tool.