Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Electrical dash failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Default Electrical dash failure

Hi
I was hoping someone might have had a similar experience to mine (actually i don't wish this on anyone) and can tell me what they did / how much the repair cost.

Yesterday my indicators stopped working and so did my dash. I have no speedo, rev counter, fuel guage or temp guage. Also the on board 'computer' no longer displays temperature information. I guess these are all on the same circuit. Anyway I found a blown fuse. Number 2 which is the METER IG fuse (instrument cluster) All falls into place so far. I swapped this fuse and turned the key. all worked again for about a second until thiss fuse gave way. My hazards work but indicators don't so I know the indicator relay is probably ok. I'm inclined to believe there is a short in the cluster (NO REALLY!!!???) but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem with the 'indistructable japanese wiring'
I've visited a few garages who are too scared to look into it and I'm affraid it might be a major job that will cost me an arm and both legs if i take it to Mazda.
The car is a 52 plate Mazda 6 TS2. 2.0 petrol
Love the car, never had a problem in the 19,000 i've done in it (car now has 109,000 miles... owch)

Anyway, would appreciate any feedback that you may have

Regards

The Helo Healer!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Default RE: Electrical dash failure

Sounds like a wire is grounding out somewhere. Something is putting a higher load on that circuit causing the fuse to blow. Aftermarket alarm installed by chance?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 AM

No car is as yet standard fit. It is probably a chaffed wire but from what i have been told it is something Mazda are quite familiar with. However, a garage being a garage they are reluctant to even guestimate the kind of work involved. I'm just worried the repair will not be financially viable given the age and mileage in the car. It might end up bein g a case of me trying to start stripping bits down and looking for the fault myself. Oh well, going to garage for diagnosis tomorrow anyway. Guess I'll see what they say

Thanks

Helo Healer

Remember... There is no such thing as a stupid question!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 AM

Have you had any luck resolving your electrical problem? My on-board dash 'computer' also no longer displays temperature information, and the temperature control selector started malfunctioning the other day!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 PM

I know this is an older post, but I was reading through and had to say that my 05 6S had several electrical issues: Headlights would go out, dome lights would work 50% of the time and several other odd things. Finally after getting tired of dealing with it I took it in and after two days the dealer had torn the car apart and found 3 of the 5 grounds "bad" as he called them. This was under warranty thank goodness. It's been 6 months since the repair and all seems fine.