Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Does the tire load rating matter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Default Does the tire load rating matter?

I have a interesting situation to say the least.

Does the tire load rating matter?

My local Mazda dealership doesn't think the load rating matters unless I'm driving 140 MPH. I don't drive my car much as I bike to work all the time, and only drive my vehicle when going on long trips at high speeds (75 to 80 MPH freeway driving.)

I purchased a set of 4 Kumo KH-16 215/50R17 tires with the road hazard plan at my local Mazda dealership on 2/22/2013 with 87,554 miles on my vehicle.

Immediately after I purchased the set of tires on 3/2/2013 at 87,745 miles the rear driver-side tire went flat due to a sidewall puncture

On 3/19/2013 at 90,158 miles (~300 miles later) the other rear tire started a slow leak on a trip from Kansas to Florida and I had air it up every 200 miles. They found a damaged tire and replaced it.

4,300 miles later at 94,451 miles (8/5/2013) on the next trip the front driver tire developed a sidewall bubble and had to be replaced.

At 95,631 miles on 9/24/2013 after that the only other tire that wasn't replaced had to be replaced due to a leaking TPMS sensor

On 12/21/2013 at 97,848 miles a nail was found and a broken valve stem again in the rear driverside tire, and the tire was patched up.

We made a trip from Kansas to Texas without issue in March.

On a trip to Des Moines yesterday (at 104,154 miles) the rear tire had to be replaced at Tires Plus due to a 3 inch slice in the tire.

Bad luck? Or bad tires? At Tires Plus they stated that the Kumos they put on at Mazda were rated for 90V load rating. They stated that this is illegal and Mazda recommends 93V or higher load rating tires. They put a Bridgestone 95V rated tire on the vehicle, which I immediately note drives a **** load smoother.

I am trying to get some firepower to complain to the manager at the Mazda dealership which put these tires on my car, but they seem to insist that it doesn't really matter unless I'm driving 140 MPH or higher what load rating the tires are. I need some official documentation to prove them wrong and if I can't get my way with the dealership, I need some official documentation to provide a lawyer, as this is 6 flats in less than 16 months, and I have only had 1 flat prior to this in the 50,000+ miles I have owned this vehicle - so something is up!

Last edited by f00dl3; 06-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 PM

i think this article might help you understand:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

note that once a tire has been repaired, the speed rating is no longer valid. think of the speed rating as a margin of safety. dunno about your road hazard plan, but i ALWAYS get the equivalent from discount tire(called a certificate). and several times discount tire has given me a new tire. i have even gotten a couple of new sets of tires, pro rated, of course, when the old tires treadwear is not quite at the minimum. if i get a sidewall puncture, they always give me a new tire under warranty. i think your dealer is trying to get you to give up. i would never buy tires from the dealer, they are not in the tire business. i would go to a place like discount tire, who's sole product is tires. they know that to stay in business, they need repeat customers, so they want you to come back. they do this by offering a good product for a good price, BUT, they also give you exceptional service. note that when you went to tires plus, they gave you what is supposed to go on the car, not what they had in stock that would fit, and how much better the service was

Last edited by keninn; 06-22-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

The rating of 90V has two parts to it,

90 means the weight the tyre can support, in this case its 600kg per tyre
V means the speed limit the tyre can handle, in this case it 240km/hr

93V = 650kgs & 240 km/hr
95V = 690kgs & 240 km/hr

Most mazda 6's are around the 1400 -1600kg range unloaded, so 4 x (90V) 600kg rated tyres will support a total 2400kg load.

Look at this chart Load Index & Speed Symbol - Info - Bob Jane T-Marts

The above website is a Australian website, and the following may not legally apply in other countries
* In all instances the tyres load index must meet or exceed the value displayed on the vehicles placard *

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

Last edited by grim_reaper; 06-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Just read another Australian website that said you dont need to match the tyre label on the car, but replacement tyres must have a "S" speed rating - 180km/hr.

Different countries & or States will have different laws.