Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Check Engine Light - Recommended Higher Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Default Check Engine Light - Recommended Higher Octane Gas

Hey Everyone - I'm somewhat new to this forum and need some assistance. I have a 06 M6s with 83k miles. The CEL light has been going on and off for the past 2 weeks. I had it checked out and they recommended higher octane fuel. I was originally using regular (87) and filled up with plus (89 I think). The light keeps going on and off. There is no noticable difference in driving. Unfortuntely I didn't write down the codes. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? Should I try premium gas?

I'm not a big car guy but always want to make sure my cars are running well. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Well, as I was told in the past, running a different octane (AKI in the U.S.) will make no difference in performance... and it is true. Who ever told you to run higher "octane" gas to clear a code obviously doesn't know what they're talking about... oh by the way I have some beach front property for sell in Colorado... just kidding!! get the codes read and go from there... and write them down!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 PM

The 6 is tuned to run on 87. Changing octane will only burn a hole in your pocket, nothing else.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 AM

What they said. And actually raising the octane you are running on will hurt performance and mileage since you are raising the ignition point of the gas.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mazda64life
Hey Everyone - I'm somewhat new to this forum and need some assistance. I have a 06 M6s with 83k miles. The CEL light has been going on and off for the past 2 weeks. I had it checked out and they recommended higher octane fuel. I was originally using regular (87) and filled up with plus (89 I think). The light keeps going on and off. There is no noticable difference in driving. Unfortuntely I didn't write down the codes. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? Should I try premium gas?

I'm not a big car guy but always want to make sure my cars are running well. Any help is appreciated.
To add to what the other folks whom have responded to your post; the fact that the individual that checked out your car actually allowed those words about “trying a higher AKI fuel” to escape his or her mouth means that he or she is so utterly incompetent that you should avoid employing those services again in the future.

Said another way, find yourself a competent service center and use them.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mazda64life

there isn't much that u can do until the CEL stays ON so that the code scanner can read the code. Not to worry as long as there is no issues like low fluid levels or engine misfiring

Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM

No, the codes should still be stored after the CEL shuts itself off.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Alright - In finally got the code read and is coming up as 2179. From my research on here that means "System Too Lean Off Idle". Any suggestions to what I should do?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:23 PM

most common causes of that is an exhaust leak, bad 02 sensor, intake leak after the maf, or maf senor is bad. you need to take the car to someone who actually knows something so they can run some simple diag. im usually not that rude to others but the person you took it too the 1st time is a complete idiot, if he/she does not know what they are talking about they should ask someone who does and not lie to your face.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

What they ALL said.
Higher octane will not solve the problem. Higher octane requires higher compression, and/or different (re: more aggressive) valve timing, OR a boosted (supercharged/turbocharged) engine, which you don't indicate, to burn properly and completely. With an engine designed to run on 87, it will burn slower and therfore some of the raw, unburned fuel will be exhausted. This is hard on other parts... typically the catalytic converter which are likely to be used up sooner using higher octane than the engine is designed to burn. It has to work harder to perform it's job.
Your mechanic/code interpreter is incompetent.
You've got another intermittent problem, could be as sinple as a dirty MAF sensor.
They are known to be finacy. Try removing it and cleaning it first.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Recommended Higher Octane Gas