Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Brake fluid green? Mazda won't repair.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Default Brake fluid green? Mazda won't repair.

Folks,

My 1-year old Mazda-6 GT/V6 Sport has brake problems that Mazda won't fix. The brake pedal sinks too far upon constant and light application or repeated application. Taking my foot off the pedal causes the pressure to return until the next application.

The dealer was going to replace the master cylinder until they noticed that the brake fluid was bright green. When they began to bleed the system, the fluid came out clear in the back and green in the front. The fluid in the reservoir is green also.

I have found only one reference to green Mazda-6 brake fluid on the posting at the Mazda6Club forum here:

Forum posting on brake fluid color.

Because the brake fluid is apparently contaminated, though it isn't understood what it is contaminated with (one service mgr suspected antifreeze because of the color), the dealer says that he is unable to make a warranty claim. Any brake components found to have failed will be assumed to be due to the contaminated fluid. They are now also stating that most of the brake system (ABS sensor modules etc.) will need to be replaced -- any portion of the system that might have a rubber-seal degradation due to the contaminated fluid. Hence the potential repair costs have gone from $500 to potentially thousands.

I have gotten the same response from two different dealers, and Mazda corporate is saying the same thing.

So, I'm stuck. I have a vehicle classed as not-safe-to-drive, under a comprehensive warranty that isn't helping me one bit, and green brake fluid that is a mystery to me.

I'm a sixth-time Mazda-only customer, and I'm not happy.

Anyone got any thoughts to offer?
Has anyone else experienced the green brake fluid as mentioned in the other forum posting (referenced above)?

Note that my car isn't a manual, it is the six-speed auto.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Gavin.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Default RE: Brake fluid green? Mazda won't repair.

That is not an abnormal color gmckenzi for the 6 and I can't believe they are going to condemn the entire brake hydraulic system based on the color. Virtually all of the 05 and earlier 6's had a greenish color brake fluid that seems to only get more green with time and use. There are chemical tests that should be run in this type of situation that will actually test the fliud chemically to determine if it is contaminated or not. If there are any used 6's in your area in car lots then go poke under the hood of some and look at the color. I think you will find it is probably not any different then your own.
I hope that some of the other fellow 6 owners on this group will go out and check that color of your own fluid and report back with what you find. That is a wrong conclusion for them to draw without proper testing. Pic below is of the brake fluid sample I just took out of an 05 with just over 10k on the ODO. Popped up to our used car lot and we had 5 05's and an 04 all with similar color. Hope the color come thru.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/C7C7CBD3CC254BAE950F4F12C9F5299F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 AM

i can vouch 100% that the brake fluid color is green. i have a 2005 mazda6 with 13.5k miles on it. i changed my brake fluid about two weeks ago and it is already getting a light green color to it already. is this sounding like it is going to be a problem for us? should we be reporting this to mazda ? especially if the dealer cannot make a warranty claim because of this issue... that is just horrible!

Old 06-08-2006, 12:14 AM

i have emailed the mazda website, and i urge others to as well because if this messes up our warranties, it is not our fault. i have stated that hundreds of mazda6 owners see this problem with their vehicles ranging from 2003 to 2005, and possibly 2006 owners. i listed that mazda forum members have noticed this "contamination" as well as other internet users. maybe if we get enough people, they will figure out a solution to help us out.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:40 AM

Sounds like air in the system. Get your brake system bled. Air in the system can foam up your brake fluid. When you press down on the pedal, you aren't compressing hydraulic fluid, you are now trying to compress the air. This air would be pushed to the ends of the braking system.

Now for air to get in there, you most likely have a leak. Brake Master cylinder or slave cylinder is what I would suspect.

Find a new dealer, they obviously know nothing about the cars they are working on.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 AM

sounds eithe rlike A) the dealers in your area don't know jack $hit about the fluid the assymbly plants put in, or be there is a serious recall of MAzda6s that is going to happen soon.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: 87 turbo II

sounds eithe rlike A) the dealers in your area don't know jack $hit about the fluid the assymbly plants put in, or be there is a serious recall of MAzda6s that is going to happen soon.
i would be going with the recall because i bled my brake system completely a couple weeks ago and my brake fluid is already starting to get a hint of green coloration already. the system must be faulty and will need to have a recall issue because it's not covered under our warranty because it is "our" fault, as they think. but in reality, it's a simple manufacturing flaw that has been discovered.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 PM

well it might not be a recal because maybe Mazda6 fluid is supposed to be green. I can't imagine why but maybe.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:16 PM

I have an 05 6, and I recently have had some issues with the front left brake. I noticed some squeeking about 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I took it in for an oil change, and asked that they address the squeeking issue. They found nothing. A few days later the noise returned, but was accompanied with a new sound. When I turn during accerlaration or high speeds, it sounds like grinding metal. This morning, I heard my first squeek when applying pressure to the brake pedal. I have 19k on the 6...my brakes could not possible be bad already, can they?

Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM

Depends on how you drive....I've had to replace pads around 20K on previous vehicles.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid green? Mazda won't repair.