Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Anyone have instructions / photos of how to remove the console?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Default Anyone have instructions / photos of how to remove the console?

I have a 2005 v6 with 6sp auto if thats important.

I want to take the center console out so that I can install the mp3 connector and my sat nav wiring.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Anyone have instructions / photos of how to remove the console?

give this a try, there's some good howto's over at club atenza. right click and save.

http://www.clubatenza.com/upload/Con...204%20pods.wmv

i don't think he takes it all the way out, but there are only 4 other screws to remove to take the console out of the car if that's what you want. you can figure it out from where he leaves off for sure.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Metric

I have a 2005 v6 with 6sp auto if thats important.

I want to take the center console out so that I can install the mp3 connector and my sat nav wiring.
If all you want to do is pop out the finish panels along the top of the console, it's quite easy.

Start at the cupholder on the side with the e-brake. Pull straight up on the cupholder panel (the thin section) and you will start to disengage clips that run around the perimeter of the cupholder panel. There are no screws holding it in. Pop up the other rear side, then work forward

Between the cupholder and ashtray panel there are a couple of clips (the holes are in the ashtray panel and the clip towers are on the cupholder, push rearward on the clips to get them to disengage from the ashtray panel.) The cupholder panel should come out now.

Most likely while you are pulling up on the cupholder, the ashtray panel will also start to pull up. There are no screws holding in the ashtray panel either. There are some electrical connections (2 bulbs on the PRNDL bezel) and the cigarette lighter socket. The bulbs are the twist 90 degree and pull type, the cigarette lighter is standard Automotive electrical connection (depress tabs and pull) There is some slack in the wiring, so you have some room to work with. The wires for the bulbs are routed under some small hooks, so if you are careful, you can unhook these wires to give yourself more room to work.

Unscrew your shift **** (Counterclockwise is off) Full installed depth is 12-14 revolutions. Get it tight when you put it back on.
Put your transmission in N (somewhere in the middle of travel will work)

Pull up on the ashtray panel to disengage the 4 plastic clips from the console base, then pull rearward. the ashtray panel should come out enough for you to disconnect the cigarette lighter socket. (it can be a bitch sometimes. 2nd time is always easier[:@])

With all wiring connections out, the ashtray panel should pop out. Don't worry about taking the PRDNL bezel out of the ashtray panel.

When you are putting it back in, make sure to snake the shifter through the hole in the slider, then tilt the ashtray panel forward and under the radio faceplate.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:39 AM

Thank you very much for the links and info gents. I have some ideas id like to implement... so again, thanks!

Old 03-08-2006, 05:24 AM

You might want to get your hands on a workshop manual

Got mine (CD-ROM) on Ebay ..... for 10 $

Old 05-09-2010, 01:16 PM

http://www.caradvanced.com/ just click on installation lik