Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Another Ipod/Sirius question...2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Default Another Ipod/Sirius question...2012

I have read a lot of the threads on here that touch on this subject, but none have dealt directly with my issue. I just bought a 2012 Mazda6 i Grand Touring (first Mazda!). It has an AUX input, bluetooth, and no Nav (but a 4.3 inch screen). I would like to:

1. Have sirius radio installed internally so I can use the stereo controls with it.
2. Have my Ipod integrated so I can control from my steering wheel and have song info displayed on my screen.

My question: Is this possible? I have read on here that the 2 are incompatible, but those claims were related to older models. Has anything been changed? I called multiple dealers with conflicting answers (and price quotes). And I wrote MazdaUSA (awaiting answer).

Follow up question: IF this is possible, what EXACTLY do I need to buy?

Another follow up question: Is this something I can do myself? I am moderately handy, but have never tinkered around with a car.

Or does anyone have a similar idea for a set up that would get me most of what I want?

Thank you for any help and I apologize if this is a dumb question or was answered elsewhere.

Last edited by WendallX; 12-28-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Last night I found this iSimple Factory iPod & SIRIUS Integration for Mazda Vehicles | TSS-Radio

It is an iSimple Ipod integration kit with a sirius in-dash kit. It syas it is only compatible for 2011 and below, but I assume that is just because they have not tested it out on the 2012??

Has anyone tried this set-up? Or tried the iSimple Ipod thing? I am debating whether to get this or go to the dealership and have them do both (which half the dealerships I called said they can't do both).

Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 PM

Anyone?? Anyone have an 11 or 10 that they did this in?

For anyone following this thread that is as lost as me, I ordered the isimple iPod thing with the sat radio. Im debating whether to install it myself or not. I will keep anyone posted who cares to read.

On a side note I am pissed at myself and the dealer for not telling me that it is only Sirius ready and that there is a possibility that I cannot do both functions. Ultimately it falls on me for not asking the right questions though. It's is not a very tech savvy car if you have to install everything after the fact.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:51 PM

I too just bought a Mazda6 I grand touring, it came with the technology package and 4 months of free sirius, so if you have that four inch screen you should already have Sirius. Do you have the shark fin antenna on the roof of your car? That usually signifys that you have Sirius/XM.
I'm looking into getting the OEM iPod module, it looks pretty simple, like it should plug in, after you take some of the dash apart.
How much did the I simple one cost you?
And installing it your self is up to you, I have installed complete alarm systems before, so I'm not too worried about plugging something in to a radio, the best advice I can give you is take your time and be careful to not scratch anything.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do have the 4 inch screen and I do have a sirius button on the radio, but nothing happens when I push it. Before the fact the salesman said it had sirius, but after the fact said it was only sirius "ready". The dealership quoted me 500 for the sirius install and 400 for the ipod!

I ordered the Isimple + the sirius component for 230, and found a place to install both for a little over 100. The Isimple by itself is at BB for 180 I think.

I still do not have a straight answer on if I can have both the sirius AND Ipod. I guess I will find out when the guy gets in there to install both. I will post my results next week.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 PM

For anyone still paying attention to this thread...I spoke with the mazda dealership. They said that another place doing the install cold potentially void my warranty. They also knocked a bunch off the price of the install so I went ahead and had them install both the Ipod integration and the sirius.

The sirius seems to work fine. I have not activated my account, but the advertisement that plays until that point sounds fine.

However, the ipod does not work at all. The people at the dealership said it worked when they tried it out with their ipod (not an ipod touch). I have an ipod touch with bluetooth. When I hit the cd/aux button it just goes to the bluetooth pairing screen. I can pair the ipod touch via the bluetooth, which I could have done prior to the install. But if I try to play through the actual connection it does nothing. Not sure if the problem is connected to my original question...can you have both sirius and ipod integration installed.

I doubt I will get an answer, but has anyone had a similar issue with their ipod touch?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Most likely, the iPod Touch isn't compatible. I came across this thread looking for info on the iPod integration. I purchased a 2012 Mazda 3s GT this past Sunday and will be getting the iPod integration kit installed on Friday. I found a list online with compatible iPods that was last updated in August 2011. Here's the link:

http://www.mazdadealeraccessories.co...tion_Guide.pdf

It pretty much stops at the 2nd gen iPod Touch, but even those aren't compatible. My wife has a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport with a built in USB port. An iPod Classic will work. An iPod Nano will work. An iPhone...no such luck. I know this probably isn't the answer you're hoping for, but at least it's an answer. I'll try my iPhone on Friday and report back if it works, but I doubt that it will.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 PM

I should also say that this is a software issue, not a hardware issue with the iPod Touch not working. iPods like the Classic, Shuffle, and even the touch based Nano all run different software than the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the response.

I have had my ipod for a long time and I think it is a 2nd gen touch.

The dealership parts/service department has been very helpful. They have been working on my car for some time now. They have brought in an engineer from Mazda and contacted the company who developed the integration device. They are trying one more thing today that will hopefully work.

Everyone involved has essentially said it SHOULD theoretically work, but that no one else has tried this (with my specific type of car). As of now though it appears it cannot work. This is something that Mazda, the dealership, and the sales people should have known so customers are not given bad info when making such an expensive decision.

If a car can be equipped with both sat radio and ipod integration off the assembly line (with the tech package), why is it impossible to do this after the fact? I am no engineer but it seems like it should be possible.

Let me know how your ipod integration goes, and I will keep anyone posted on what the dealership ultimately tells me.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Well, I got my iPod adapter installed today and can confirm that my iPhone 4S does work with music playback. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Another Ipod/Sirius question...2012