Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Almost New Speed6 OBD reset mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Default Almost New Speed6 OBD reset mileage Question

I just purchased a 2006 Speed6 as an "executive demo". Since this car had 2k miles on it I needed to take through state inspection. It failed because the OBD tests were "a complete failure". It looks from the inspection report that the OBD was reporting not ready. I've done some research on this and it could be due to the fact that the battery was probably dead/disconnected and I had not driven it far enough to get a complete reset (only 75 miles). The question that I have is how far do I have to drive before the OBD resets?

Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Default RE: Almost New Speed6 OBD reset mileage Question

What is a OBD test ?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:30 AM

obd test is when they link to the computer to check for check engine lights and connectivity. Basically to make sure all the sensors are reporting and the values are withing tolerance. I don't think it's supposed to take that long to reset.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 AM

The OBD test is a test of the on board diagnostics. It is primarily used by the NJ MVC inspection system to verify that the emission controls in the car are functioning properly. For example, if you check engine light comes on they want to make sure that you have not just disconnected the light. Thanks for the response. I'm planning on calling the dealer this morning and will post back the results.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:44 PM

i've heard in a few states, the systems aren't even setup for the CAN system that the new mazda's use. just like a lot of people with scanners can't use them on this car as the software isn't updated (pep boys, kragen/checker, autozone, NAPA) at the facility yet.

you should be able to ask what the issue is. though most do require a certain # of miles on the car, they would be able to say if that was the only issue.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Much thanks for the reply. I spoke with the service desk at the dealership yesterday afternoon. Unforunately the individual I spoke with was not very knowledgeable and had no knowledge of having to drive a certain number of miles for a reset. In any event, he gave me an appointment for monday morning. Hopefully, they'll resolve it and I'll get an explanantion. If it is indeed a mileage issue it will probably go away over the weekend as we're driving to visit the in-laws, a 300+ mile round trip.

I do love this car!!!! I live in rural NJ and find myself avoiding the mainroads and letting rip on the back country roads.

I'll update on monday after the service call.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 PM

One more update. I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they ran every OBD test that they could think of. When questioned about the required driveing distance to get a complete reset they had no idea. I've got an appointment at the insepction station tomorrow. Hopefully, there will not be any problems.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM

Driving the vehicle for approx 20 miles in stop and go traffic followed by 20 miles of fairly steady speed highway driving and then parking overnightshould allow all of the on board tests to be performed and either passed or failed. Your 300 mile trip should certainly do the trick. If for any reason the battery is disconnected or CEL codes are cleared by a scanner, all tests will be reset and need to be redone.
There are five separate monitors that need to run and passed to clear the state inspectioin.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Oxygen sensor operation
Oxygen sensor heater operation
Three-way warm up catalytic converter
Evaporative emissions
All three require different conditions for the computer to run the self test. Evaporative emissions self test for example is performed while the vehicle is parked after being fully warmed up and driven for x period. of time beforehand.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info I returned to the inspection station last evening and the car went through without a hitch this time.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks, babyhueyfor the info. I had similar problem with reseted computer. The garage reset my computer thru a scanner and I didn't realize that I had to drive it a bit before going for my emission test. The code/failure that I was told was P0442 (EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Small). My engine light came on about 1 year ago (3/06) and I took it to a garage and it went away but I passed emission test a few days later. It came on again recently (last few monthds), I took it to the same garage and I assume they are doing the same as they did but I took it to emission test right away (after driver about 15 miles) and it failed. Do you know what this failure is and why it is intermittent (it went off for a few months and then came back on). Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Almost New Speed6 OBD reset mileage Question