Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Airbag light /seat cover problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Default Airbag light /seat cover problem

My 04 Mazda 6 Sport has an airbag fault - this has been diagnosed as a damaged sensor in the base of the passenger seat. (the electrical sensor has somehow snapped and therefor registering a fault code 48) Cheapest solutionis buya replacement seat from a breakers. My seats are dark grey check cloth - only foundin sport models. All I can find are the black equivalent. If a bought the black seat would it be possible to take off my covers and put on the replacement seat. Has anyone removed their seat covers? Is it possible? Help!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Default RE: Airbag light /seat cover problem

I don't think your seats have a weight sensing system in them. The only sensor in the passenger seat I know that could trigger the airbag code would be the seatbelt. Should be pretty easy to find a passenger side seatbelt and replace it. (Even a black one would blend in.)

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Underneath the seat fabric is a plastic pad that sits on top of the foam. There is printed circuits inside the pads -I presume this is the weight sensor for the passenger airbag. Unfortunately (and I don't know how it happened this pad is ripped - hence a break in the circuit and the light on the dash)I assume that once the cloth cover is off all the seats are the same. My covers are fine-it's underneth where the troubleis. So my idea by a replacement seat but use my covers. Hope this makes it clearer.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM

The pad with the "printed circuits" on top of the foamis the seat heater pad, not anything associated with the airbags.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 PM

I havn't got heated seats?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM

I don't have my factory service manual at home...I'll have to take a look at it when I get into work.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM

I hope this helps....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2513/820237190B424E869A08E09F0B4D19E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

I don't think your seats have a weight sensing system in them. The only sensor in the passenger seat I know that could trigger the airbag code would be the seatbelt. Should be pretty easy to find a passenger side seatbelt and replace it. (Even a black one would blend in.)
in fact there is a weight sensing system in them actually. you can only tell though when your vehicle is turned on and the seatbelt is not clipped in on the passenger seat. Therefore, the light is engaged letting you know there is something of weight on the seat and is not buckled up.

as for removing the stock seat cover, you can do that... i've talked to a few people who have done it on another forum.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:39 PM

thanks for the diagram, unfortunately mine is a RHD!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:45 PM

That explains some of my confusion. My experiences are on the LHD version produced here in the U.S. not the RHD produced in Japan...vehicle content is different depending on the region it is intended for.

Quick Reply: Airbag light /seat cover problem