Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2005 mazda6 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Default 2005 mazda6 problems

i have a 2005 mazda6 which i bought new off the lot in 2005. Last thursday morning the car started out fine but after turning on the defrosters the battery light came on and the car went in to 3rd gear and would not come out. i have been since told that this is called safe mode to protect the vehicle. I had a friend come and check out the fluids he added some oil and transmission fluid to bring the levels up. He checked the battery i said check the alternator after googling i saw that others had the same problem. he disconnected the battery from the car and it continued to run and when he put the connection back on the windshield wipers starter moving. i drove for a few blocks less than 5 miles and the car worked properly changing gears, however when leaving work and driving about 10 miles the car went from first to third a little hard and the battery light came back on and well as another light flashed on. the next morning the battery was completed dead. this morning i got a jump and it changed gears for a few feet then back to the same thing when i took the car to pep boys who stated that the alternator was overcharging and i may need a new transmission later but for right now probably needs to be flushed.

will putting a new alternator in fix the problem or will i be wasting my time and what could cause all of this other than the alternator, i mean the car was working fine the wednesday night before until i put on the defrosters, i had on the lights and the radio as well the next morning then car trouble please help and is this a common problem on all cars or just on mazdas will there be a computer problem???

Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Do you still have the original battery in it? How old is the battery if not? Welcome to the forums! Dont forget to fill out your signature (look at mine for example).

Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome. it is my first time in a forum like this and I will try to do my best with the signature. No it is not the original battery i purchased the battery at advanced auto about two months ago, it is one i purchased after the other battery died. The previous battery was one i purchased at advanced auto 2 years ago.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM

I would take it to autozone and have them test your charging system for free, since the battery is new and your warning light is going on and off you could very well have a dying alternator. Also check all your ground cables as even one bad cable can do some VERY strange things to a car. If you go get it tested let us know the results!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the replies, I had it tested at advanced auto and pep boys and the results were that the alternator was overcharging the battery. They suggested that I take it to an alternator shop which also gave the same reading that the battery was being overcharged. I will be getting a new alternator installed on wednesday.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Be carefull as the alternator charging is controlled by the ecu/pcm. Get a code check before replacing the alternator.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
I would take it to autozone and have them test your charging system for free, since the battery is new and your warning light is going on and off you could very well have a dying alternator. Also check all your ground cables as even one bad cable can do some VERY strange things to a car. If you go get it tested let us know the results!
This is Logical great advice

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Be carefull as the alternator charging is controlled by the ecu/pcm. Get a code check before replacing the alternator.
This is disturbing. I hate car computers. Definitely something to keep in mind. My next car may be a real old one with no computers, O2 sensors, or catalytics. My buddy specializes in cars like this and has access to great carbs and how to set them up! Likely go with MSD ignition. http://markenperformance.com/ in Canada.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM

Will replacing a new alternator do something to those two things that you mentioned?

The only thing that each place said was that the alternator was going bad. The only thing i was told by both was the alternator was overcharging, and pep boys said that the transmission needs to be flushed soon. The pep boys mechanic stated that he would go with the alternator first and then get the transmission done. The alternator shop is going to replace ith with a brand new alternator. I am kinda getting confused.

2005 madza 100k
smitty in florida

Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Staffon D. Smith
The pep boys mechanic stated that he would go with the alternator first and then get the transmission done. The alternator shop is going to replace ith with a brand new alternator. I am kinda getting confused.

2005 madza 100k
smitty in florida
Welcome to the new age of cars.
Confused, i hope so. This computer stuff is a pain.
Change the alternator and add a few ground wires. I recommend the following extra groun wires from the negative terminal of the battery: 1 to engine block, another 1 to the body and 1 to transmission, 1 to throttle body.

The voltage has known to play tricks on the transmission.

Do the above first and don't waste money on tranny yet.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 PM

ok, I am going to have to replace the serpentine belt as well it has broken, I went out to start it up because I had not started it since saturday and drove it around the block and when i returned to park the pwrsteering went and it was hard to turn, got out and saw that it was broken, Thanks for your wisdom because I am def not a mechanic. I only know what the mechanics and a friend has told me. lol and i can see the belt in the car loose. I had to havee one replacedbefore because the pwersteering pump was spewing fluid out from a piece that was not put on correctly and clmped by another mechanic. when it rains it pours, I will let the mechanic know about the ground wires also to those you mentioned. Thanks again!!

2005 mazda6
smitty in florida

Quick Reply: 2005 mazda6 problems