Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

09 Mazda6 oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Default 09 Mazda6 oil change?

Anybody change their own oil on the 09 Mazda6 yet? Manual under owner maintenance shows nothing but how to check oil. Filter doesn't look like the spin-on types I'm used to either, looking at it from above. Hope it's not something they've designed to be done by the dealer using special tools or something.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

It's a cartridge filter. I use a soft strap wrench on mine but you can buy a proper socket from one of our sponsors here (Med Center Mazda) if you wish. Or to pay more, your own dealer will have them too.
DO NOT use Vise-Grips or Channel Lock pliers (or equivalent.) You will crack the plastic housing and be out a ride until you can get it replaced.
Conversion kits to a spin on are also available.... $35-$45 for the parts. Installation is up to you, but it's pretty easy I undersrtand.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:08 AM

Thanks. Have the filters and wrench ordered from Med-Center Mazda as you mentioned. Crawled under and looked it over, doesn't look like anything special particularly with the wrench. They have everything fairly accessable with a great huge hole where the filter goes. Seems Mazda has given in and done an in production change to the spin on filters at some point in the 09's. I did see the conversion kit for $35 but probably won't bother.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

\
Yeah, it's not too bad, just messy. I said the same a few years ago, but as soon as I use up my backstock of cartridge filters, I'm finally going to convert.

Another FYI: The drain plug in the bottom of the housing, useful for making the job a bit less messy, is soft aluminum and as I found out, strips out easily. I was being very careful and still managed to strip mine.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM

OK, did my first one yesterday and it proved very easy.

I used an AutoPro 74/76 -14 sided filter cap wrench (same as works for my 06 Miata.) I got at Advanced Auto Parts. I got a Motorcraft FL-2017B filter at WalMart for $4.17 and it came with 2 new O-rings for the filter and center drain insert. Got a 5 qt jug of Motorcraft 5W-20 blended for $11.50 which refilled the car perfectly, even though the manual says 5.3 US qts for w/filter change. Whole job didn't take anytime, but you need a drain pan that will hold over 5 qts., mine had me worried as it went almost to the top, but I made it with a whole 3/8" to spare.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:55 PM

By the way: Mazda makes recordkeeping easy for you do-it-yourselfers by providing an online service record if you set up an account under MyMazda on their MazdaUSA.com site. Put in you VIN and it identifys your vehicle with a color picture showing the right color and even the right wheels. Look under service record and you can see everything done at dealerships and you can enter whatever service you've done yourself too. It also has links for your owners manual and quick guides. Pretty kool.