Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Worth servicing at main dealer after warranty expires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Default Worth servicing at main dealer after warranty expires?

Coming up to my three years/36,000 miles soon, and wondering if it's worth continueing the servicing at the main dealer.

I guess the pro's are that it'll be worth more when I come to sell it, but hopefully this won't be until it's at least 10 years old, and they should be using proper parts.

The cons are that it is more expensive and the work is no better (often worse) than a halfords garage.

What about this digital service record, can independent garages access and update this?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I never use the dealer's service even during the warranty period. It's a waste of money and my time. Except in very unusual circumstances, your car will not be worth a dime more by having the dealer service it. Nobody cares.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by iainso
Coming up to my three years/36,000 miles soon, and wondering if it's worth continueing the servicing at the main dealer.

I guess the pro's are that it'll be worth more when I come to sell it, but hopefully this won't be until it's at least 10 years old, and they should be using proper parts.

The cons are that it is more expensive and the work is no better (often worse) than a halfords garage.

What about this digital service record, can independent garages access and update this?

My answer to this query is that, if I could, I would go to an indie.

Indies can not access the DSR, but then I don't give two hoots about the DSR. I just need to provide proof of servicing to my buyer and full receipts are better for that purpose.

The problem is finding a garage that can reset the DPF with every oil change. Some have the equipment, most do not.

I'm not sure the car is worth much more with dealer servicing, especially when it is over 10 years old. You are paying Ł150+ more for each service compared to indie (more for a major service) . You will not get that difference back when you come to sell your vehicle. Some other marques maybe, but not this one.

Just my tuppence (two cents for our American cousins! )

Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 AM

Thanks, my problem is I don't know of any independent garage that I trust. Before having my Mazda I'd gone through all the local garages with my previous cars, and was dissatisfied with all of them - in the end I was just getting the oil changed at Kwik-Fit, the MOT done at Serco (the city council's place), and getting other parts replaced/repaired as they broke (quite cheap motoring this way). This was with cars that didn't have these complex ECUs though.

I guess I'll have to stick with the main dealer until there is another garage I trust.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM

I would stay away from the dealerships. They charge too much for the same work that a local shop does. Also some shops are competitive too like the shop that I go to. They really check everything and would suggest changes for other things needed to be done. They would also show you the difference of your current fluid(oil,transmission, brake and etc) and the new fluid. Then would recommend but will not push the idea to replace it but will alarm you that it will need to be change soon. They will also tell you what it can do to your car if you don't change and when you do change that specific fluid.