Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Wheels spin

Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Default Wheels spin

I have a 2013 Mazda 5 that has a terrible time getting started from a complete stop on a hill. It rolls back and stepping on the gas (gently, not gunning it) makes the tires spin.

It acts this way too when on a dry, flat road, but I'm not extremely gentle with the gas.

What is causing this? By the way, the tire threads are ok.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Do you use the handbrake?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:57 AM

How old are your tires, tread depth and what brand? Brand is just my own curiosity. I've seen problems in the past with older tires that still look good, but have lost the ability to grip. Over time, the chemical make up of the tire hardens. They will wear forever, but can't grip the road anymore. Like a dog running across a tile floor. Most often, in tires that have a high tread wear rating.

Rule of thumb for tires. Replace your tires every 5 years. Estimate how many miles your going to run in that 5 year period and buy tires rated for that mileage. Avoid directional/performance tires unless you are running road races. Directional tires, once mounted, stay on that side of the car, and you are unable to properly rotate them. If you are unsure what a directional tire is, the tire store will be able, or should be able to tell you.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Default wheel spin

No, I don't use the handbrake. The car is an auto. (but I do know that using the handbrake would help). I have never had problems with hills with other cars though and just wondering what makes this car so prone to spinning wheels.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Sparky,
The tires are Toyo 205/50/R17 all season. They are the original stock tires - the car is a 2013 model. It only has 15,000 miles on it.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:46 AM

I think the Toyo's are rated 30,000 miles. The tread wear reading on the tire states 280 if I remember correctly. What's left on tread? 4-5/32nds maybe?

Of course it's hard to come up with a true cause not having hands on, but my gut is telling me the root cause of your problem is going to be with the tires. First time anyone complained of too much power.

Even though the tires are only a little over 1/2 life expectancy, with the problems your having, I think I would put some new shoes on her. If the remaining tread on the rears is more, try a rotation first and see if that helps. Take depth readings and put the best one on the passenger side front.

I honestly don't believe there is any thing wrong or repairable with the Mazda itself. Curious to see what you find out.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:41 PM

Sparky,
The tread is about 6/32nds. So tread shouldn't be the problem?

I assume this must be an isolated problem since I don't see any other Mazda 5 owners complaining about this. But it is a big enough problem for me that I no longer drive it and have switched cars with my husband. (There are so many hills in Seattle!) He has the same problem when driving it but somehow does not mind it as much.

Could it be due to the suspension?

Thanks for your help BTW.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:36 AM

I have the same issue of spinning the wheels, especially when it is wet. 2010 MT. Uniroyal tiger paws. I don't like them. It could also be my driving.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:49 PM

Silver5, The only thing that could make it suspension related is if your carrying around 800lbs of patio blocks in the back. Buy just two new tires for the front, non directional, all season. I'd be willing to bet that will make a big difference.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:20 AM

Still having issues with spinning tires and hill rollback.
Had a service today at dealership. They couldn't find anything wrong. Tires were >7 mm.

I've never had a car roll back so much. (that's not a manual) What causes this?

Can the spinning wheels be related to the rollback?

I'm surprised there aren't any other Mazda 5 owners who have this problem. Mine must be an isolated case. It is frustrating - enough that if there were such thing as a refund, I'd be sending the car back!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheels spin