Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

URGENT UPDATE 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec Rear tyres

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Default URGENT UPDATE 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec Rear tyres

I have a 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec ith real probs on the rear wheel allingment. Mazda Uk have again stumped up for tyres but all the dealers I have spoken to cannot sort the problem.

I have never heard of a year old car needing jigged to get the wheels allinged !!!!!

Get yours checked out now!

this is a major problem for MAzda !!!!!

J[:@][:@]

Old 10-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Default RE: URGENT UPDATE 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec Rear tyres

Hi, I have had all 4 tyres replaced @9500 miles rear tyres were worn really badly on inner edge. Is this what you had?
Did they wear again after new tyres and realignment?
I fear that my new tyres are wearing as badly as the originals......

Is this only a fault on the Sport model????

Old 10-15-2006, 07:06 AM

now sold the car as garage let slip that it cannot be alligned by 'normal' means and needs a full re-allingment. Tyres will continue to rub. MAZDA seem to be retiscent to admit a fault tho'.
Garage also suggest a design fault and that the axle width is to narrow for the rear of the vehicle.

regards

Old 10-15-2006, 09:13 AM

Just taken my car to a local tyre depot, they put it on a laser tracking alignement machine. The front wheels are 2.5mm out! and the rear thrust adjustment is 2mm out.
This is less than 3 months and just over 3000 miles since Mazda had the car back to fit 4 new tyres and have all the alignment settings checked and reset!
The chap at the tyre depot said that if the rear thrust is out the car would never be able to be properly aligned front to rear.........

I am now awaiting the service manager from my dealer to get back to me.......

Old 11-02-2006, 05:53 AM

We have had the same tyre wear problem with our Mazda 5.

Coming up to the 12500 mile service the front tyres were evenly worn but still had just enough tread to be legal. I was annoyed that the front tyres only lasted 12500 miles but I assume that this is normal. As far as I was concerned the the rear tyres were hardly worn at all.

When the vehicle was in for the service the service manager called me and started telling me that my rear tyres were illegal in a tone as if it was my fault. At first I couldn't understand what he was laking about and then he explained that the there was a 10mm wear strip in the inside edge of both rear tyres.

The service manager stated that the vehicle required a 4 wheel alignment but he couldn't do it on the day and nor could he supply replacement tyres on the same day. He also said that none of the repair or damage would be covered by warranty.

I also got a better quote for new tyres from another supplier. While at the tyre supplier the vehicle was raised up and I could see the damage to the tyres. I could also see that the rear axle on the Mazda 5 is adjustable. I have never seen this on any other vehicle but it is pretty obvious that something that is adjustable is going to go wrong. Unfortunately the tyre supplier could not perform a 4 wheel alignment and said it was very unusual for a rear axle to be adjustable. In the end I took the vehicle back to the Mazda dealer for the 4 wheel alignment.

I complained to Mazda and asked for them to contribute to the repair. After a lengthy period this was refused however I wrote to Mazda and I have now been offered a goodwill payment for the cost of that 4 wheel alignment and half the cost of the replacement tyres.

At the weekend some friends who have a Mazda 5 said that their rear tyres has worn down to the inner tyre material.

I have now discovered this forum and discovered that this is a common problem on the Mazda 5. I now think that Mazda should compensate me the full costs of the tyres. I am also monitoring the new set of tyres very closely because I expect the problem to reoccur.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 AM

I have been in touch with Mazda Motors UK, lodged a complaint, which is being followed up with the help of my dealer.
After about 4000 miles on the new tyres the inside edge of the rear tyres are significantly worn the profile of the rear tyres are from the outside in: 4mm, 7mm, 7mm, 7mm, 2mm.

I am going to have the tyres rotated front to rear this morning. Will inform of any news

I suggest you all lodge complaints with MMUK and get the wheels (no pun intended) moving on this problem.

Contact details are at www.mazda.co.uk

Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a Mazda5 Furano, but I must say that this thread (and some on other forums) are worrying me a bit.

I went for a test frive on Saturday and asked the sales guy about the front suspension noise problem (which he said was due to faulty bushes and had now been fixed) and this tyre wear issue. He said that he had not heard of any tyre wear problems. Now either he was lying, or this problem only affects a minority of cars. Now the problem affecting any car is not acceptable but other than the 3 UK cases noted here, is anyone else sufferring this on the Sport model (17" wheels)?

I also own an RX-8 and am due to visit a different garage for servicing next week. Whilst I have the attention of the Service Manager I'll sound him in regard to this issue and see what he says and whether he looks uncomfortable.

All the best.

Regards
Rob

Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM

Hi All,

Bought a new Furano at the weekend (well the wife did) and love it!

Before buying the car I mentioned all the useful info posted on here (thanks everyone) about the suspension noise and tyre wear issues. The salesman came clean and told me what had been done to resolve the problems.

The mod for the suspension is apparently fitted in production now (we have had no suspension noise in the first few miles) and is also fitted on existing cars that have the noise.

Tyre wear is known about and he mentioned that two 5's had their tyres replaced under warranty at his dealership. He understood that the UK geometry settings were set incorrectly at the factory, so this may account for UK issues. I stated that I would keep an eye on the wear, but judging by the initial look from the rear, they are wearing more on the inside. He didn't say that it would be too much bother to correct geometry settings if they were wrong. Guess we will find out if there is an issue.

Despite the potential issue we are very pleased and happy with the purchase.

Cheers,

AJ

Old 11-06-2006, 02:55 PM

Interesting post AJ. I wonder, where abouts is your dealer?
My dealer is in close contact with Mazda, and has not come up with the geometry settings being wrong on UK cars.
I will put it to him next time we speak.
He is trying to convince me that it is all to do with tyre pressures, but alas I do not buy it.

Pleased to hear that you like the car. It really is a good car and I am really disappointed that we are having so much hassle with it.
I certainly would not have hung on to it if I didn't like it.

Heres hoping

Nig

Old 11-06-2006, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: RobS

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a Mazda5 Furano, but I must say that this thread (and some on other forums) are worrying me a bit.

I went for a test frive on Saturday and asked the sales guy about the front suspension noise problem (which he said was due to faulty bushes and had now been fixed) and this tyre wear issue. He said that he had not heard of any tyre wear problems. Now either he was lying, or this problem only affects a minority of cars. Now the problem affecting any car is not acceptable but other than the 3 UK cases noted here, is anyone else sufferring this on the Sport model (17" wheels)?

I also own an RX-8 and am due to visit a different garage for servicing next week. Whilst I have the attention of the Service Manager I'll sound him in regard to this issue and see what he says and whether he looks uncomfortable.

All the best.

Regards
Rob

I have been on several forums researching this problem and there are more than 3 cases.
Also they are not exclusive to the UK.

Nig

Quick Reply: URGENT UPDATE 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec Rear tyres