Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/)
-   -   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/tyre-wear-uk-mazda5-20951/)

iainso 10-18-2010 03:35 AM

Glad you've got a car without problems and you're happy with now cmclough.

I've thought about changing car, but honestly front tyre wear is the only problem I've had. If you do a google search on any 7 seat MPV you'll find forums with people saying how many problems they've had with that car.

I guess in conclusion it comes down to luck as whether you get a friday afternoon car or not. Still no excuse for the dealers to shirk their responsibilities when you complain about any problems you find.

landlord 01-09-2011 03:24 AM

Should I but a 2009 mazda 2.0 diesel exec

Shocked at number of pages on this subject of tyre wear. didnt have time to read them all.
Next week I am supposed to be buying a 2009 Mazda 5 executive 2.0 Litre Diesel from a retired couple. It has done 14,000 miles in 2 years and the owner did mention that he had changed the front tyres recently.
Should I be worried about tyre wear for this car?
Are the new tyres expensive to buy?

lnwlf 01-09-2011 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by landlord (Post 114985)
Shocked at number of pages on this subject of tyre wear. didnt have time to read them all.
Next week I am supposed to be buying a 2009 Mazda 5 executive 2.0 Litre Diesel from a retired couple. It has done 14,000 miles in 2 years and the owner did mention that he had changed the front tyres recently.
Should I be worried about tyre wear for this car?
Are the new tyres expensive to buy?

I'm not familiar with the diesel model, but, if I am correct, the tire wear issue was/is with the 06 and 07 models and in the rear I believe. I have an 08 and have had no such issue with the tires. One thing to consider is that the power steering pump is under recall and the brake disks may have a tendency to warp, Have these checked before you buy just to be safe. Check the coolant level is not too low

Dads_Taxi 01-09-2011 04:31 AM

I have a 2006 diesel sport, and the front tyres were worse than the rear. 14000 would sound about right before they were lethal. I would ask the owner if he knew what brand of tyre he had to replace. I would put money on them being Dunlop. If you trawl through these pages and read my posts (or search for my posts) you will read that since changing brand of tyre I have had no further problems, and Mazda assure me that they have not adjusted any wheel geometry.

To answer your last question, tyres start at around £80 fitted (Falkens for example). The best mileage I've had out of tyres on this car were Michelins, but they are now in excess of £170 each. I'm currently running Falkens all round.

I now have 83,000 miles on the clock, and since the original Dunlops were replaced I've seen no irregular or excessive tyre wear. I hope that helps to reassure you.

I haven't heard of a power steering pump recall, nor warped disks (mine are still flat, @83,000) nor any issue with coolant. Possibly these issues are on later models since 2006. That would be worth a trawl of the forum too maybe.

You will enjoy the car, I love mine.

Dave

landlord 01-09-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi (Post 114987)
I have a 2006 diesel sport, and the front tyres were worse than the rear. 14000 would sound about right before they were lethal. I would ask the owner if he knew what brand of tyre he had to replace. I would put money on them being Dunlop. If you trawl through these pages and read my posts (or search for my posts) you will read that since changing brand of tyre I have had no further problems, and Mazda assure me that they have not adjusted any wheel geometry.

To answer your last question, tyres start at around £80 fitted (Falkens for example). The best mileage I've had out of tyres on this car were Michelins, but they are now in excess of £170 each. I'm currently running Falkens all round.

I now have 83,000 miles on the clock, and since the original Dunlops were replaced I've seen no irregular or excessive tyre wear. I hope that helps to reassure you.

I haven't heard of a power steering pump recall, nor warped disks (mine are still flat, @83,000) nor any issue with coolant. Possibly these issues are on later models since 2006. That would be worth a trawl of the forum too maybe.

You will enjoy the car, I love mine.

Dave

A major facelift, engine and suspension modification was made in 2008, so I was specifically hopeing to hear from anyone with a 2008 - 2010 diesel model (preferably not a sport which seem to be prone to wear) who could comment on tyre wear. Apparently changes were made in 2008 to reduce this tyre wear problem??
thanks ???

Dads_Taxi 01-09-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by landlord (Post 114988)
Apparently changes were made in 2008 to reduce this tyre wear problem??

Which would imply that they DID acknowledge a tyre wear problem! That's interesting.

Anyway, ask the vendor what brand of tyre the car came with that needed changing at 14,000, if only to prove me wrong about Dunlops!

Best of luck, I hope someone with a newer model will join in. I suppose a lack of newer model owners on the forum is an indication that the newer models don't have as many disgruntled owners.

Dave.

landlord 01-09-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi (Post 114989)
Which would imply that they DID acknowledge a tyre wear problem! That's interesting.

Anyway, ask the vendor what brand of tyre the car came with that needed changing at 14,000, if only to prove me wrong about Dunlops!

Best of luck, I hope someone with a newer model will join in. I suppose a lack of newer model owners on the forum is an indication that the newer models don't have as many disgruntled owners.

Dave.

thanks for the responses....
Just wandering the car I am considering buying is the 2009 Mazda 5 executive 2.0 Litre Diesel (2.0 D 121PS EXECUTIVE 110PS) . How do I know if this is the Ts1 or Ts2 version??
thanks

Dads_Taxi 01-09-2011 07:02 AM

I think if you start a new thread asking that question someone will soon come up with a response. Might be worth starting a thread asking for general comments from 2009 owners too.

Cheers
Dave.

landlord 01-09-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi (Post 114992)
I think if you start a new thread asking that question someone will soon come up with a response. Might be worth starting a thread asking for general comments from 2009 owners too.

Cheers
Dave.

will do, thanks

medievil2008 01-10-2011 02:39 AM

Mazda 5

With this on-going issue, does anyone have a letter from Mazda UK, dealers or any other registered Mazda seller to state they are aware of this tyre wear issue?