Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/)
-   -   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/tyre-wear-uk-mazda5-20951/)

GSX600FMAN 04-12-2009 12:10 PM

A reply from Mazda, but missed my issue

2 Attachment(s)
Camber has not been adjustable since the invention of ½ decent front suspension and the fitting of the MacPherson Strut (that's the front suspension that has the lower 'wishbone' type swingarm that's connects to a 'hub carrier' and the spring & damper type shock absorber). Camber is decided by the designer/manufacturer, using the appropriate values in a formulae. The value of the Camber, measured in degrees, for a particular wheel size cannot possibly be the same for a larger or smaller fitted wheel. It would make a nonsense of the formula and calculations involved. I finally got a letter off Mazda yesterday to my complaint. They totally trying to misdirect myself and other party involved by using the old rear wheel tyre wear problem. I have written a new letter of complaint now pointing this out and insisting this is a new complaint about excessive front tyre wear due, in my humble opinion, to a Camber that is too negative due to the installation of 17" wheels. I may add my letter and their reply here, suitably edited.
Done it but my original Word letter has had to be cut down and the photographs of tyres (some already seen elsewhere here) and the picture of the front suspension of the Mazda5 including MacPherson strut (some already seen elsewhere here) removed to get it small enough to add here, sorry! As you can see in the Mazda reply it bears no relation to my letter or problem with excessive front tyre wear on the Sport.

GSX600FMAN 04-12-2009 12:56 PM

Mazda's rubbish reply

3 Attachment(s)
Bugger! I just put what I'm about to put here in the older tyre wear thread, still of value of course. Anyway out of Hospital now, here I go:-
Camber has not been adjustable since the invention of ½ decent front suspension and the fitting of the MacPherson Strut (that's the front suspension that has the lower 'wishbone' type swingarm that's connects to a 'hub carrier' and the spring & damper type shock absorber). Camber is decided by the designer/manufacturer, using the appropriate values in a formulae. The value of the Camber, measured in degrees, for a particular wheel size cannot possibly be the same for a larger or smaller fitted wheel. It would make a nonsense of the formula and calculations involved.
I finally got a letter off Mazda yesterday to my complaint. They totally tried to misdirect myself and other party involved by using the old rear wheel tyre wear problem. I have written a new letter of complaint now pointing this out and insisting this is a new complaint about excessive front tyre wear due, in my humble opinion, to a Camber that is too negative due to the installation of 17" wheels. I may add my letter and their reply here, suitably edited.
Done it but my original Word letter has had to be cut down and the photographs of tyres (some already seen elsewhere here) and the picture of the front suspension of the Mazda5 including MacPherson strut (some already seen elsewhere here) removed to get it small enough to add here, sorry! As you can see in the Mazda reply it bears no relation to my letter or problem with excessive front tyre wear on the Sport.
Beware .... measuring or monitoring the tread depth will not show up this issue/problem. You need to really look at the inside edge, turn your steering to full lock one way then the other and have a real good look at the inside edge.

wrxseeker 04-12-2009 02:18 PM

Thanks for replying. Will respond more later but just quickly - I spoke to dunlop technical on Thursday who said that to the best of their knowledge there had been no modifications to the tyres.

PS 600F - I have sent you a private message.

GSX600FMAN 04-12-2009 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I intend to get my front tyre (shown in previous picture) to Dunlop to be inspected/tested and a written report returned. I am hoping that they can confirm that it is most likely due to incorrect negative camber. Toe in & toe out (alignment) will be ruled out as there is no tell tail 'feathering'. That is when the edges of tread rise up like the tips of feathers. Also not over or under inflated.
Yes! You would expect that if Dunlop reinforced their tyre they would know and also their tyre markings would indicate it too. Also reinforcing it would not cure the problem of the camber. The only thing that would 'help' in this specific instance would be to have the inner edge made of a harder and tougher rubber, but that would detract from the performance. I have added an old picture of an old tyre with extreme camber wear. Bear in mind that this tyre is very old type/style, where as we have a modern type/style radial with a low profile. The image is of a car wheel from the era of the Ford Anglia, Austin Allegro etc from (60's to early 70's, both of which I've had).
BTW the reply from 'Watchdog' was just the auto-reply. saying they may contact me if they're interested in pursuing it. If you all send in your Mazda 5 Sport front tyre story they may have something to bite their teeth into, watchdog@bbc.co.uk Also look into SMMT 'new car code of practice' www.smmt.co.uk then go to consumer advice for new car warranties and complaints. 'The Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects governs the recall of vehicles with safety defects throughout the United Kingdom. A safety defect is a feature of design or construction liable to cause significant risk of personal injury or death.
The Code and vehicle recalls are supervised by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). The aim of VOSA, the manufacturers and SMMT, is to ensure the rate of response to any recall is as high as possible.

They will be getting a call from me this week with the copies of my letters to Mazda and their reply, so far. I suggest all here with concern for their front tyre wear contact them too, they wont do anything about things they don't know or are unaware of. DO IT THIS WEEK and get that recall made real.

Rhodri 04-13-2009 03:06 PM

Another Front Tyre Report

From a new member.

Mine is a 2008 2.0D Sport First Reg Oct 08 and bought in March 09 with 4600miles on the clock - it having been the dealers demonstrator. It now has done 5800miles and already the inner edges of the front tyres have worn away to below the tread. I had concerns when I bought it - not having found this site but seen references to tyre issues in "what car" reviews. I mentioned this to the dealer and it was arranged that to put my mind at rest they would check the alignment as part of the purchase deal and give me a print out. The promised print out was not there when I collected the car - the excuse being it was within design limits so no print out was done. On finding the wear it is now booked in to have the alignment checked again so we'll take it from there.

wrxseeker 04-14-2009 03:26 AM

Hi & Welcome to the forum.

If I had known what I know now & been in your position I would have insisted on a full alignment report and 2 new tyres before I bought the car.

Dont get me wrong - I think its a good car its just mazda's attitude to this problem so far has been very poor.

GSX600FMAN 04-14-2009 05:12 PM

complain in writing!

You all must give your complaint in writing to the dealer and copied to MMUK. Your conversations with the garages are of no value (heresay and ignorance or deception on the garages' part) and Mazda can claim they have no knowledge of a front wheel wear problem. Dunlop called me today and suggested that I send the tyre to British Tyre Manufacturers Association (BTMA). The reason not to send to Dunlop is because it is not a warranty issue with the Dunlop tyre. It is the 'non redesign' of the suspension with the 17" wheel involved, in my opinion, until someone can propose some other cause. We need to get independant experts to express their opinion that it is design and not a tyre or driving issue. I urge you, after about 2 letters to Mazda and the unhelpful reply, to contact SMMT NEW CAR CODE OF PRACTICE. This particular version of the car needs a recall because some drivers that 'just drive' from service to service can have their front tyres possibly fail from approximately 8000 miles before ever getting to their first service. New tyres are on order (the leasing company have fallen for Mazda's bull sxxx story of the rear wheel tyre wear). I've post reply to Mazda (no e-mail at Mazda apparently). Also copies and covering letter to SMMT.
By the way if you look in the paper work and manual for your new Mazda you will find the SMMT new car code of practice in the wallet. If you are unhappy at having to buy new front tyre every 7 to 10000 miles....contact them. Night

wrxseeker 04-15-2009 11:20 AM

Just waiting for Mazda Uk's final response and if it isn't satisfactory I will contact the SMMT.

Rhodri 04-15-2009 02:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome

I too would have insisted on the print out if I had seen this forum beforehand. I have spoken with the dealer again and like many of you he claimed they had not had any other experience of front tyre wear. As they have always been very good in the past this will be a true test. I have sent them details of this forum and will take a print out of some of the posts when I go for an alignment check at the end of this month. Unfortunately living in the sticks my dealer is over 50 miles away so it is not so easy just to "pop in". Hopefully I have the luxury of being able to carry out a "zoom zoom" exchange if necessary. I advised them I wanted to exchange my car when I saw this site just inside the 30day exchange limit. In all other respects I am happy with the car so it seemed fair enough to let the dealer have first crack at fixing it.

Some of the earlier posts have spoken about tyre rotation. I do not think rotation diagonally front to back should be necessary generally and is not a good idea when problems are occurring as it can create additional confusion. I have never done it in nearly 40years of motoring. It does strike me however that where tyres are worn on the inside as in my case it might be a good idea to get the front tyres turned on their rims so that the worn area now is on the outside. Unless someone can convince me otherwise I intend doing this after my alignment check. I would not think it will cost too much at a tyre dealer. This will restore the problem area to as normal and it should make monitoring any "fix" easier. The tyre life will also be doubled assuming the "fix" does not work.

My apologies to those concerned if this has already been suggested

wrxseeker 04-16-2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi (Post 63177)
OK, here's the print-out of the "after" figures. In tiny print is the acceptable window for each measurement, which is why I've made it such a large image - to give us all a chance of reading them.

This printout came with the heading:

To Mazda Bulletin No. CR039 4/4/07

I have compared these figures with the ones from the wheel alignment I had to pay for back in March 2007, and they are the same, so I suppose that is encouraging.

With regards to HOW they adjusted the rear camber, I'm afraid I have no idea, I left it with the dealer and kept my fingers crossed!

Cheers
Dave.

Dads_taxi,

Any chance you could post these figure again please and also update us on the tyre wear now (if you still come on here !!)