Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/)
-   -   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/tyre-wear-uk-mazda5-20951/)

wrxseeker 09-24-2008 09:31 AM

RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Nick - thanks for the reply.

The sticker inside the drivers door pillar says 33psi front for normal & 35psi fully laden.

Mine were 33 till a couple of weeks ago but I upped them to 35 before we went on holiday in it (full). They are still 35psi (cold).

Checked the tread and is as follows at 4800 miles of mixed driving:

NSF: 1cm from outer edge - 2mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2mm, Centre - 7mm

OSF: 1cm from outer edge - Just under 3mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2.5mm, Centre - 6.5mm

Obviously I would expect the NSF to wear more because of roundabouts etc.

From my login you can probably guess,my own car isan Subaru Impreza WRX and this doesnt wear its tyresany morequickly.

I attach some pics to try and show the wear better: -Attachment 6649

What to you think ??Attachment 6650

Cheers

Darren

kbaby77 09-25-2008 02:29 PM

She said they were changed sometime last year by mazda. They had it serviced in July 2007 an tyre depth was taken during that service (i remember seeing 7mm on the details, but cant remember what else) at that service it had done 21k miles and now its at 36k miles. Ill have to check them with a tyre gauge and see what depth they are now.

I called the garage they had it serviced with but they couldnt give me any specific details apart from to say they were aware that people had problems and they were replacing tyres for anyone effected with bridgestone. They said it was because the engine was too heavy for the tyres to cope with and it was even worse on diesel engines now the new mazda had different spec tyres and suspension changed.

AD4M 09-26-2008 06:54 AM

Hi ,
Had my new tyres on Tuesday, Mazda have said this is a permanaent fix, and that no one has been back since they have made these changes. lets hope this is it !!!!!!

AD4m

Dads_Taxi 09-26-2008 11:14 AM

Do you know what they've done to fix it though? And have they done anything with regard to the front wheels?

Dave.

S1mplicity 09-26-2008 02:20 PM

RE: UK 2008 Mazda 5 Sport - Tyre Wear ??

Over 4500 miles now, tyre wear looks fine, and appears to pretty even both front and back, so far I have no worries about tyre wear on the new 2008 model sport diesel, will put another 2K on next month so will report back then.

wrxseeker 09-26-2008 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here's the latest pictures of mine:

Checked the tread and is as follows at 4800 miles of mixed driving:
NSF: 1cm from outer edge - 2mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2mm, Centre - 7mm
OSF: 1cm from outer edge - Just under 3mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2.5mm, Centre - 6.5mm

Obviously I would expect the NSF to wear more because of roundabouts etc.-Attachment 6648 What do you think ??http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...4092008048.jpg Cheers Darren

NickC 09-27-2008 02:17 AM

I've just measured ours.

6555 miles.

The centre of all four tyres is 7mm

The outside was measured in the centre of the first bend in the tread and all four tyres are between 3.5 and 4mm.

It'd be handy if someone could measure a new tyre so we can see the difference.

JOQS 09-29-2008 10:56 AM

Had the tyre wear test done on my 5 sport petrol 1st week of nov 07 now nearly 1 year on after several visits 2 the dealer im still told they are waiting for the results from MAZDA UK . 11 months to sort out , come on MAZDA UK

S1mplicity 09-30-2008 02:09 PM

Those pictures look spot on, the tyre wear is about right

Just read this to put your minds at rest

"Current tread depth legislation requires that car tyres must have a minimum of 1.6mm of tread in a continuous band throughout the central ¾ of the tread width and over the whole circumference of the tyre. However, despite the law, it is generally recognised in the tyre industry that the legal limit is an extreme. Many tyre manufacturers state that they design tyres to function as well at 1.6mm as they do at 9mm (the accepted normal tread depth when new). That is a surprising statement for any tyre company to make, but some have said just that."
So we can estimate that the tyres should last 20,000 miles, thats not bad the Merc B series lasts that long, obviously driving conditions will bear a little on wear, but really I believe that on the new Model tyre wear isn't an issue.
http://www.checkthatcar.com/Image1.gif
I have used Dunlop Sports previously and found them not to last as long as other tyres.

BCNorth 10-05-2008 10:54 AM

We have an 08 GT model (we're in canada) and have put 12,000 km's on it since early April - about 7500 miles give or take, and our tires are great, I see no real wear worth mentioning...

Maz05da 10-08-2008 10:06 AM

Just had mine in for wheel balancing as tyres were wearing on outter fronts so got garage to swop them over so wear was on inneredges anyway after going round town for a week checked tyres again and wooo hoo bad wear on the outer edges yet again so the tyre problems is not been fixed yet. unfortunately mines now out of warrenty so nothing i can do so thats another set of tyres to be put on at 27k and that will be the 5th set!!!!!!

Im so sick of this car

AlanJulia 10-09-2008 06:49 PM

I purchased my first Mazda on April this year which was 1 year old with 12000 miles on the clock,now with 15000 miles,great car to drive & handles the road carrying 2adults & 4 children with ease. Only problem ! TYRE WEAR. I took the car to ATS concerned about the outer edge on both front tyres being badly worn(which still has 6mm in the centre) only to be told 'wait to you see the the inner edges their through to the 2nd layer of rubber' so it was a 276 mile round trip 2 my dealer in Linwood. The tracking and all that was checked and was spot on, so photos were taken by the service manager (who was very helpfull) & sent off to Mazda uk, the answer came back as this problem only applied 2 pre Jan 07 & they are not going to honour the problem, surely a car cant be built and be sold and on the road within 8 weeks as mine was first reg 1st March 07. What do i do? do i have to keep putting new tyres on every 15000 miles

Dads_Taxi 10-10-2008 02:00 PM

Hello fellow sufferer.

Have you ploughed through this thread? Most people have had some satisfaction out of Mazda UK, with a financial contribution towards the replacement tyres. Although you haven't specified which model you have, I expect it's a Sport? If so, in my case, as is heavily documented in these 40+ pages (!) once the originalDunlops were replaced by Bridgestones, the problem went away.

Make sure you keep copies of all documentation, including the printout from ATS for the tracking results, which, like mine, were spot-on. If you persevere with Mazda hopefully you will get some help with this.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave.

Mazdamit 11-06-2008 05:33 PM

Long time no speak, I was active in this forum a year ago and to be honest I just decided to put up with getting my 50% contribution every few months... Anyway after every geometry change and alignment possible, at least 9 visits back to the dealer and FOUR full changes of all FOUR tyres in 30k miles I checked my tyres with my dealer before going to Scotland on holiday, fine they said, bring it back in 3k miles. Two weeks later, in the middle of nowhere on the Isle of Arran complete with two young children my tyres looked like the picture attached. On ringing my good old dealer they nicely said 'if you can see steel through your tyre then you mustn't drive it.' Do you know how many tyre dealers there are on Arran that stock 16" tyres?

Anyway after that episode last week I finally got the damn car off my hands, only got £7k for a Furano/Sport that cost me £17k less than 2 years ago but I'd reached the end of the road. I pity the poor sod that gets my car I really do. Anyway, I'm sure everyone's well aware of the problem but I've been "reliably" informed by Jon Smith (nice guy but is only capable from reading a script that says 'Mazda is very sorry to hear of your problem and the car is now performing within acceptable tolerances") and my utter garbage and useless local dealer (Oakmere Mazda Northwich) that my car is the worst ever seen, great that really cheered me up, so how about a refund then? Thought not....

If it benefits anyone else, the problem is supposed to only affect pre 57 plates of Sport/Furano models with 16" wheels, the inner inch being the problem - and absolutely no geometry or realignment made any difference as you'll see from my holiday pics from the Isle of Arran! For what its worth, the middle of nowhere tyre dealer did manage to put a couple of 16" obscure branded remoulds on the car and they actually seemed to be holding better than the Dunlops up till the point I got rid!! Maybe there's an answer in there?

You can see quite nicely from the picture.... and even though I've been driving cars for 20 years they still come up with the old line 'it's your driving style'. What with tread like this? That's some crazy driving?

Like everyone else, this whole experience has been really frustrating. Not only from my tyre problems, but also from the fact that the car itself (and especially the sliding doors) were great.

I'm afraid I'll be sticking to German engineering from now on. Goodbye Mazda.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11062/9228F1195E784EDE884AE4557E68978D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11062/A5F20FDA4A694D95989D487667762A04.jpg[/IMG]

wrxseeker 11-17-2008 04:46 AM

Had a chance to check the tyres at the weekend.

Now 5750 miles on clock (not doing many miles at the moment as wife is on maternity):

NSF inside edge:See Pic below

I am not happy with this - as you can see there is no tread left in a 1cm wide band.

The outside edge isnt much better and neither is the OSF.

I want to get this reported - do you think 1st stop should be the dealer or a letter to Mazda UK ???

[IMG]local://upfiles/17397/5A04D7D63BB24E509E6EA2FCAE3E5C8B.jpg[/IMG]

S1mplicity 11-18-2008 11:27 AM

The tyre wear looks like that on a pre 2008 model, sure you didn't get one of the last tyre munchers?
Mine has done 8500 miles with loads of tread left, all over, in fact they still look like new....
Go to the dealer in the first instance see what they have to say.

jures 11-18-2008 02:48 PM

Slovenia....

Mine 2006 Mazda 5 GTA 143 had totaly same problem - inside the tyre a thin wornline appeared.

But Mazda Slovenia recognized an error - error comes from faulty optics, front tires were positioned in letter V - factory fault.

so all you have to do is go to service, make tyre optics, spend 20-40 € and you can be sure...

Of course if your tyres were dead, thats different, I am still waiting answer from Mazda, I left tyres there and made a complaint.

wrxseeker 11-19-2008 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: S1mplicity

The tyre wear looks like that on a pre 2008 model, sure you didn't get one of the last tyre munchers?
Mine has done 8500 miles with loads of tread left, all over, in fact they still look like new....
Go to the dealer in the first instance see what they have to say.

Its definately the facelift model - see below

Can you confirm your tyres are Dunlop SP2050's please.

Booked in at dealer for a "check" on Friday.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17397/16FE72A2D1C3482AB9913D9677B23D67.jpg[/IMG]

jures 11-19-2008 07:23 AM

Mine for sure were SP 2050......

S1mplicity 11-20-2008 02:30 PM

Mine are the same tyre with 8800 miles on them here is a pic

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7...e022zs6.th.jpg

Hopefully it's just the tracking is out

wrxseeker 11-21-2008 04:35 AM

Hi

Took it to the dealers who said it was normal to expect "feathering across the edges" and tread depth was ok across the tyre! I said the 1st cm of the NSF inside edge was bald!!!.[:@]

Its now booked in with them for a tracking/alignment check in 2 weeks.

None of the independant places nearby would check the tracking as they say its too new a model for them to have the data - it has to go to the dealer.

Hopefully it is just the tracking.

Can you post you picture a big bigger please if poss ?? Thanks

S1mplicity 11-21-2008 08:28 AM

How have you done you picture as I am struggling.

wrxseeker 11-21-2008 09:15 AM

When you reply, at the bottom it says "click here to upload" but 1st you need to tick the "embed picture in post" box next to it.

Once you click you just navigate to the picture on you PC and it uploads it (Max 500kb)

S1mplicity 11-25-2008 02:12 PM

Can't get it to work keeps saying the file is too large even when I compress it to less than 200kb

but looking at your tyre wear it's just not right, mine have now done more than 9100 miles with no wear issues at all.

Bazburns 11-29-2008 09:49 AM

Jun 07 Mazda5 Furano 2.0D

All tyres replaced by Mazda at 16k miles. Alignment corrected and rear shock replaced under warranty. All completed in Jan 08.

Re inspected 26 Nov 08, both front tyres are bald on outer edge (only 6k miles use).Magna Mazda (Salisbury) suggest geometric alignmant and tracking adjustment along with 2 new tyres.I am responsible for the full costs as it is not a known fault. Realignment and replacement tyre costs £300+. I spoke to MMUK and that is their final answer. Also had another rear shock replaced under warranty.

TodayI have had 2 independent garages check the tracking and alignment. All was within the Mazda guidelines. Have been informed that there clearly lies an issue that is the manufacturers problem to slove. This is a warranty issue for Mazda as their fix to the rear tyres is not working correctly. Also informed that the tyres are standard rubber and not reinforced as all other MPVs are. The old Mazda MPV tyres were also reinforced, the MAZDA5 is not!!!

Will be calling my dealer (Magna) and MMUK on Monday to discuss the issue further.

Dads_Taxi 11-30-2008 12:40 PM

Sounds very familiar.

See the main thread to find fellow frustrated owners:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_34231/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Best of luck.

S1mplicity 12-03-2008 03:11 PM

Just short of 10,000 miles still no signficant tyre wear. These tyres look good for 30-40K.

Also noted the fuel economy has improved to now the engine is worn in

wrxseeker 12-09-2008 07:28 AM

Dealer has now checked the alignment. Unfortunately said there was no print out for before & after even though I asked for one !!

Service manager mentioned about the problem with tyres on earlier models and a tech bulletin had been issued with some minor adjustements to camber - said they made some minor changes and car should be fine now !![sm=insomnia.gif]We will see.

When I got home noticed that the rear seats had been moved all the way forward and that the parcel shelf cover had been put back in upside down (!)

Any ideas what they can adjust from in the boot ???????

S1mplicity 12-09-2008 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: wrxseeker

Dealer has now checked the alignment. Unfortunately said there was no print out for before & after even though I asked for one !!

Service manager mentioned about the problem with tyres on earlier models and a tech bulletin had been issued with some minor adjustements to camber - said they made some minor changes and car should be fine now !![sm=insomnia.gif]We will see.

When I got home noticed that the rear seats had been moved all the way forward and that the parcel shelf cover had been put back in upside down (!)

Any ideas what they can adjust from in the boot ???????
Probably looking for loose change, these car peeps are really hard up ;)

wrxseeker 12-11-2008 02:56 AM

Forgot to add - all of the pre 2008 model sports in the dealers (2 in service, 2 2nd hand) had continental tyres fitted to them all round not dunlops.

S1mplicity 12-19-2008 03:02 PM

I think mine was going somewhere else because this is an excellent car and no issues, maybe it wasn't meant for the UK market oh lucky me

colinread 01-02-2009 04:39 PM

Im running on my second set of free tyres on a Sport Mazda 5 what pressure would anyone recommend, on the door it states 32 psi.

colinread 01-07-2009 03:54 AM

Tyre pressure

Im running on my second set of free tyres on a Sport Mazda 5 what pressure would anyone recommend, on the door it states 32 psi.

Woody_MZ5 01-17-2009 08:08 AM

Hi All, My last post in May last year was to report that my 57 plate (June 57 manufacture) Mazda 5 TD Sport had done 12.5 K and tyres looked great, and that the complete new suspension revamp looked to have worked. This morning I had the 25K service done and I had checked the front tyres and they still had 4 to 5mm of thread depth so was thinking that 30K was possibe so quite chuffed.

Then a call from the dealer said that they recommend that I do not drive the car away without changing the front tyres. I declined their offer of getting new tyres fitted and went to pick it up. It was not until I put my hand on the inside edge of both tyres that I could feel that the tyres were de-laminating and indeed they were in a very very dangerous state. I cautiously drove it round to the nearest tyre dealer who fitted a pair of Continental Sports for £231. I am a mechanicalengineer who has been inspecting the tyres for rapid or evenwear on a regular basis, onlyclose inspection by getting under the car could have revealed thispotentially lethal fault.

According to the tyre dealer, this is not a toe in toe out problem, he said it was 100% suspension issue and that looking at the front strut unit that the camber and cast was fixed so he couldn't say how it could be adjusted. He had never seen such wear to that part of a tyre before and added that yes they were in a critical state.

I have kept the tyres and will do some photographs and have a chat with the dealer who sold me this car. I did almost cancel the order but it was their re-assurance that the new models had a completely new suspension set up and were fine. I know that the tyres have done 25K but what concerns me most is that I have been driving a time bomb and that as I do a lot of motorway miles.A front tyre blow out at 70mph might very well have resulted in a crash, whose fault at the end of the day? Mine to ensure tyres are roadworthy or Mazda's because they knowingly have cars on the road with inside edge tyre wear that is difficult to detect.

So new or old the Mazda 5 sportis a car with an inheirant safety issue. My advice is don'tbuy one, great car as they are, its not much good if they are not safe.

S1mplicity 01-18-2009 05:51 PM

As far as I am aware the new 2008 facelift model only became available on the 08 plate and the 57 is the old model, I have an 08 Plate Mazda 5 Sport Diesel and the tyre wear is just like any other car I have driven just had 1st service @ 12500 miles with no abnormal tyre wear, I would expect to get 30-40K miles on this first set however Dunlop sports don't wear very well as I found on a tyre munching Golf I once had.

NickC 01-19-2009 01:30 AM

I've just rotated my tyres @ 10000 miles and they're all wearing evenly, so I don't think there'll be an issue. Mines an 08, 2.0TD Sport.

wrxseeker 01-19-2009 04:01 AM

My 08 model has worn both front inside edges badly at 7000 miles. The dealer made some adjustments 500 or so miles ago and I am waiting to see if there is any improvement.

Woody_MZ5 01-20-2009 07:38 AM

My advice to all is to put the front wheels on full lock and get underneath to inspect the inner edges of the tyre. Mine looked perfect from the outside even on full lock. The tread depths were 4 to 5mm at 25K which is great. The problem is that the inside edge of the tyres were delaminating and one was very close to a blow out. Only luck meant I cancelled a 300 mile motorway round trip just before my 25K service where this was picked up. So even on 08 facelift models (I don't think suspension has changed) get underneath for a regular close inspection, don't think like I did, your car is fine and this issue won't affect you. Trust me if you could see the state of my tyres you would make the effort!

NickC 01-20-2009 06:11 PM

It must just be a basic alignment issue as it doesn't effect all cars. What I don't understand is why it does effect some cars. The wheel alignment must be the same on all cars when they come out of the factory so why do some wear more than others. I took my wheels off at the weekend and the tread is wearing perfectly flat. I'll measure the tyres and compare them to the measurements I made at 7000 miles, but to be honest they don't look much different. WRX I hope the adjustments they've done will sort it otherwise it'll spoil what is overall an OK car.

S1mplicity 01-21-2009 02:32 PM

Same here 13500 miles perfect wear, flat and even. No inner edge wear at all on any tyre.

Like NickC says they can set the Facelift cars to wear tyres correctly now, but why some seem to wear uneven from new is a mystery. Maybe they have a dodgy shift with one person setting them incorrectly :eek: