Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/)
-   -   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/tyre-wear-uk-mazda5-20951/)

BCNorth 05-15-2008 01:17 PM

RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

I assume this tire issue is only on the older models? I have a new 2008 5 GT (Canadian Spec) But I havent found anyone complaining about it in Canada, or on any 2008 models - does this mean I am safe?

CharlottenEddiesdad 05-16-2008 01:18 AM

I would hope that Mazda had sorted the problem out for all new cars so you should be ok..... but keep an eye on them... You never know.

NormandyBoy 05-30-2008 06:43 AM

Hi All, just thought I'd officially join the 'not so exclusive' Mazda 5 Tyre eaters club.

Had my March 07 Petrol Furano in for the customary alignment and tyre wear issue at 9500 miles and have just recevied confirmation from MMUK that they will contribute30% front/50% rear even though that contradicts their own tread depth/contribution matrix from Bulletin CR/039. Needless to say I've gone back to MMUK and asked them to try again with a more appropriate figures.

Dads_Taxi 05-30-2008 05:11 PM

Welcome NormandyBoy to our merry band.

So am I right in assuming that all 4 of your tyres are showing uneven wear?

If at all possible, could you try to acquire before and after figures for the wheel alignments? I'm convinced that on the two occassions mine has been in for a wheel alignment, no adjustments were made. Unless there is a very good cover-up going on and two different tyre dealers are in on the act!

Dave.

NormandyBoy 05-31-2008 01:31 PM

Dave

All four tyres have been affected.

So your's has been in twice for the same issue, even after the chassis tweaks? What did the dealer say the second time? Were Dunlops fitted each time?

Vince.

Dads_Taxi 05-31-2008 03:45 PM

No, that's just my point, absolutely nothing has been adjusted on my car - or if it has they haven't admitted anythiing to me. Not alignment or chassis or anything. The only thing that has changed on my car has been the brand of tyres.

To summarise my rantings over the last 37 pages (!):

Front tyres (original Dunlops) wrecked at 12,800 miles (inside edges only -totally, utterly, wrecked). Replaced with Bridgestone - wheel alignment perfect.

Rear tyres (original Dunlops) illegal at 25,000 miles (inside edges onlyworn). Replaced with Bridgestones - wheel alignment perfect.

Front tyres are now almost ready for changing after a reasonable 19000+ miles. I have deliberately NOT rotated the tyres between front and back to get a true feel for how they are wearing. The front off-side tyre has perfect even wear, the front near-side tyre has more wear on the outside edge but nothing to moan about.

With regards to your question"What did the dealer say", the dealer appears to be stumped. The usual comment is "lets see what happens".

Keep us informed with your progress Vincewon't you.

Dave.

Andy B 06-04-2008 05:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry/ Relieved to say that I found this forum after 'googling' Excessive tyrewear on Mazda 5's! Quite relieved to find that I'm not the only one with this rather disturbing problem. The 5 is my wifes car, which she uses to drive my 3 children around in!

My car is due for its first service (12k miles). It's a '56 plate Mazda 5 Sport. We've noticed that the outside 3-4 cm of the front tyres are now practically bald but there is hardly any wear on the rest of the tyre. The rears seem OK.

The car was booked in for a service for the 16th June but since noticing the tyre wear my wife has become increasingly concerned so phoned the dealership and said that she wasn't happy driving the car. They have invited her to bring the car in for a check on Friday of this week.

Does anyone have any advice as to how we should play this? I've printed off some of the threads from this site.

Really grateful for any help on this matter, as £400 on new tyres would cripple me right now and I'd rather not have to wait for months for a possible refund, as others have had to.

Regards,

Andy

CharlottenEddiesdad 06-05-2008 02:15 AM

Hi Andy. Sory to hear that you too are afflicted.
If I were you I would play it straight with your dealer, find out what they have to say and if it seems ok go with it. You have all the info from this site to help you later if necessary. ~I would log an official complaint to MMUK straight away by phoning them. If Jon Smith is still there try to contact him. By logging an official complaint with MMUK you have made it official and the dealer will be contacted by them. (trawl through this thread for all the contact details.)
I would not accept any trade off deals. I haved had 3 sets of tyres out of MMUK and paid for two tyres in all.
If your dealer claims no knowledge, tell them to ring round the dealers, ideally whilst you are there to find out what other dealers know.
My dealer managed to sort my car out, and we are still friends!

Nig
Good luck and keep us informed.

Andy B 06-05-2008 12:43 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Taken the day off so that I can take the car in myself.

The dealer seemed really nice at the time of buying the car so I'm sure that they'll be helpful.

Regards,

Andy

CharlottenEddiesdad 06-05-2008 01:16 PM

Good idea, despite the fact my dealer was very nice, they are programmed to spout all kiinds of bullsh**t, especially to a lady.
They tried fobbing me off with tyre pressures, excessive speed in cornering, they even tried blaming the roads. I smiled and listened, then repeated my complaint, and reiterated the fact no other car had suffered, so why all of a sudden was the Mazda 5 reacting so differently? They of course had no answer, especially since the last three cars we have had were Mazdas, bought from them.

Good luck.

Andy B 06-06-2008 11:56 AM

Hi,

My local dealership have referred my tyre wear problem to Mazda who have agreed that all 4 tyres need replacing. They have offerred a 70 / 30 split saying that I will need to pay £178. I raised the issues mentioned on this forum and the dealer just fell back to the story that he can only do what Mazda authorise him to do. He said that from his experience the wheel alignment will sort out the problem. I mentioned that people on here have gone through 4 sets of tyres in only 25k miles and he really didn't have an answer to that one.

Do people think that I should accept the 70 / 30 split? Does this seem reasonable?

Regards,

Andy

CharlottenEddiesdad 06-06-2008 12:25 PM

Well, I would say that wasn't too bad an offer. However, I would keep a constant check. At a risk of sounding anal, I kept a diary for each tyre measuring the depth on each tyre on the inner edge, middle and outer edge.As soon as the wear started to show, I hot foot it back to the dealer with the evidence. They too monitored the wear, and insisted on rotating the tyres. When the rear tyres became illegal, I went back again.This is when they managed to sort the alignment out. They tried to fob me off with replacing only the worn rear tyres, but I insisted that the tyres on the front had been compromised by being on the rear and needed replacing also. I also said it would be difficult to monitor whether the alignment tweek had fixed the problem.
To date the tyres appear to be wearing OK.....
Possibly another reason the dealer was keen to be supportive, I was sniffing around the showroom looking to swap my MX.....
Interestingly, the service manager said that the cost the dealership incurred from all the replacement tyres would be recouped in a couple of years via the servicing costs! (maybe they ought to be offering 100% compensation!)

N

NormandyBoy 06-12-2008 05:59 AM

Andy

Can you tell me what tyres your dealer is proposing? I have been quoted £141 per tyre for Dunlop 2050 Sports. MMUK have offered the 30/70% contribution, so this could cost the me equivelant of £282.

Thanks

Vince.

Dads_Taxi 06-13-2008 03:13 PM

Andy, can I ask a few questions:

Could you please clarify which way the 30/70 split is.
Is your car petrol or diesel?
Are the worn tyres Dunlops?

Regarding your dealer's claim that "from his experience the wheel alignment will sort out the problem", I should be very interested to know what adjustments are made to your wheel alignment. If at all possible ask the garage carrying out the alignment for before and after print-outs, the clever machines these days will do that automatically.

In my case, as summarised a few postings back in this thread, the wheel alignment was spot-on and the only thing that was changed was the brand of tyre, and I have just gone over 20,000 miles on the replacements.

Dave.

NormandyBoy 06-24-2008 02:11 PM

As I wasn't happy to pay for expensive Dunlops, Mazda agreed with the dealer to offer me three alterantives, Dunlop Sport XLs (I think that was the old tyre model??), Goodyear or Pirellis. I went for Pirelli P6000's, same profile, size and rating, which saved me about £60 against the Dunlop 2050s. I will see how these fair.

amybragaphoto 06-28-2008 09:45 AM

I had the same problem..so frustrated!!!

HerbieRidesAgain 07-06-2008 08:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

Having just joined the forum I though I would add my experience with the tyre wear on my Mazda 5 (2.0D Sport) on a 56 plate. Car had its first service in Jan 2008 where I enquired about the state of the tyres but was told they were still OK but keep an eye on the tyre pressure in them. However around April (covered 15000 miles) I decided to take the front wheels off the car to check more closely the tread wear, glad I did as both fronts were down to the threads. Immediately contacted local Mazda dealer and was advised the car would need its 'geometry' checked, car was booked in a few days later. Guess what, the garage called me to say that it needed new front tyres which they would have to fit as the tyres were now illegal and so I could not have the car back. Did not want Dunlops put back on the car so insisted they fit Michelins, as I have used these for years with no problems. They were unable to source any so was offered Continental for the same price (£146 each), a reasonable price as I made a few calls locally to check. Argued my case with the garage and in the end got 50% towards costs from Mazda, still not happy though as I see this as a serious safety issue that should really warrant a recall on all Mazda 5's to resolve this. Have written to Mazda UK as I want confirmation that the adjustments made to the car will resolve any future tyre wear issue, but as yet have not had any correspondence back yet. Will be checking all my tyres every 1000 miles to ensure they do not start wearing prematurely. Will update the forum with any new findings.

Also just wanted to mention that the 2 front alloys have started to corrode, local garage has agreed they will need replacing under warranty so am just waiting to book the car in again!

tcs17_tim 07-07-2008 04:47 PM

Having thought I wasnt affected by the dreaded tyre problem I parked on full lock this weekend and so had a look at the fronts to find both are worn down the threads and yet there is plenty of tread across the whole tyre except for about 1cm on the inside. My mileage is about 17500 over two years.

As I am due the second service in a few weeks I rang acouple ofdealers to ask service cost and see what reaction I got to the tyre problem. One said they were aware of tyre problems but that it was known on the rears and werent sure whether the fronts would be considered the same, implying that mazda might contribute something for the rears but unsure whether they would forfronts. The other blamed speed hump or pot hole damage affecting the tracking; I queried this as it was identical on both but he was sure it was a tracking problem as the wheels centre themselves leaving the sterring wheel slightly off centre - which doesnt happen unless they moved the steering wheel around to hide it on the pdi!

I am tempted to take it to an alignment expert/tyre dealerto see what they diagnose before going to a mazda dealer who will instantly diagnose tracking due to speed hump/pot holes and charge me for the tyres.

Dads_Taxi 07-09-2008 08:37 AM

I know I keep repeating myself in this thread, but now we're at page 40 I shall assume that people don't plod through the whole lot, so:

Herbie - did they actually make any adjustments to your front wheel geometry? If so, did they give you any print-out of before and after adjustments?

Tim - my suggestion is to get to a reputable tyre dealer who can provide a 4-wheel laser alignment service and have all four wheels checked, making sure you get a before and after print-out to present a copy to the dealer. Keep the receipt so that when Mazda finally admit that there is a front wheel wear problem you can claim back the price of the alignment checks too. In Bolton I paid around £40, or slightly less.

Best of luck to both of you, please keep us up to date with your progress.

Dave.

Dads_Taxi 07-09-2008 08:41 AM

Sorry, I missed out a crucial point in my previous post, which is that I had all the same excuses given to me that you both have (see the last 40 pages!) and have had 4-wheel alignment checks twice, and both times the alignment was proved to be spot-on, with before and after figures to show it.

Dave.

GSX600FMAN 07-13-2008 05:32 AM

Hi all!We are awaiting delivery of a brand new Mazda 5, Sport 2.0 Petrol, manual in the UK.
Douglas h, Maz05da, Charlotteneddiesdad, Minty & all others the metal block on the rear support is a Dynamic Damper, I don't know exactly how it works on this car but in tall buildings it is a large suspended weight there to counter movement & sway brought about by wind & earthquakes. I assume it offers resistance to road conditions for this car.
I have assumed that near enough all the tyre wear 'symptoms' are on cars fitted with the 17" wheels. Also that they are not coming into contact with the car trim as the wear seems to be a very narrow section on the inner part of the tyres.
Does anyone have this wear problem on 15" or 16" wheels? If not the way I see it is that Mazda made a mistake about 17" and should recall & fit 16".
When I get my car inless than2 weeks I will monitor all 4 tyres for wear by recording:-wheel location (N/S, O/S front & rear)depth, mileage & date on about 4, or maybe 5,points across the road contact patch. If I see any significant wear before 12000 I will be back at the garage for a full alignment (to eliminate that 'excuse'). After that I will want 16" wheels & tyres fitted & monitor again. I cannot go straight to 15" wheels as the brake disc are a different size (15" = 278 & 280mm compared to 16" = 300 & 302mm)
Thebad geometry setting for 17"may account for the noise, bumps, knocksand fuel consumption some have mentioned as energyisused dragging (scuffing) the tyres.
Does anyone have a copy of the actual TSB for the rear tyre wear problem?
I think the Mazda marketing people just 'lobbed' a set of 17" wheels on the car to match the 'trend' of large wheels without knowing about the effect ofsuspension & steering geometry changes needed.
I have found in the past on previous cars that the 205/55 was a much bumpier ride than the 195/65.
I eagerly await my new car.

wrxseeker 08-08-2008 08:37 AM

UK 2008 Mazda 5 Sport - Tyre Wear ??

Hi,

We have had our 2008 model mazda5 2.0D sport since March.

Since then we have only done 3500 miles but the OUTSIDE edge of the front Dunlop tyres (about a 1cm band) is wearing heavily.

I know the older models had problems with tyre wear but I thought that was the inside edge ??

Has anyone else with a 2008 model got anything similar ?? My wife drives it most of the time and is not screeching round roundabouts with the kids in the car.

(I know there is a thread on the tyre wear but as this is new model I thought it best to start a new one)

Thanks

NickC 08-11-2008 02:11 AM

RE: UK 2008 Mazda 5 Sport - Tyre Wear ??

We've done just over 4000 miles since March in our 2008 Sport and although the Dunlops do look slightly scuffed on the outside edges I don't think it's unusual or excessive. I'll keep monitoring them, but I think they're wearing fairly evenly.

wrxseeker 08-11-2008 04:01 AM

Maybe I am being a bit paranoid because of the known problems.

Heres a pic - what do you think ??

[IMG]local://upfiles/17397/603C2DB9890A468C8EFEC8545E4F9B57.jpg[/IMG]

NickC 08-12-2008 01:43 AM

That looks about the same as mine. I'd keep an eye on it but I don't think it's a problem.

S1mplicity 08-12-2008 01:03 PM

If it has a tyre wear problem I'll soon know as I do about 25,000 miles a year.

No signs yet but I don't think it'll manage the 40,000 miles per set that my old 406 did.

wrxseeker 08-14-2008 03:08 AM

Ok - Thanks.

I will keep a closeeye on them.

italian36 09-17-2008 10:50 AM

my mazda 5 Furano 2.0 reg 07 has bad front tyre wear ..i ve took it to the dealer the vin number was in the list they have so had the measurements done, all withintolerance.

its 5 weeks now and still no reply from Mazda how long does this take ? also its goe from warranty claim to good will from regional manager in this time ?

Dads_Taxi 09-17-2008 02:21 PM

I think it was about 5 weeks I had to wait until I got a written reply from Mazda UK. I assume you have written to them yourself, not left it to the dealer?

Have you tried phoning Mazda UK? I found it amusing to be told by their customer services department thatthey hadn't heard of this problem before!

Since Mazda will not admit to a problem with front tyre wear, they will not agree to front tyres being replaced under warranty, I think everyone here has had anyfinancial contribution to replacementfront tyres as a "goodwill gesture" (please correct me if I'm wrong guys).

I'm pleased to read that your measurements were, like mine, within tolerance. I wonder when Mazda will collate all these problems and begin to admit that there IS a problem - well, probably when all our warranties have expired.

I wish you luck, let us know what happens please.

Dave

italian36 09-18-2008 03:49 AM

dave

i did it other way round - spoke to mazda first who would not accept an letter before i spoke to my supplying dealer local garage in Staffs. Tobe fair they took measurements and said within tolerance,and have since sent additional info to Mazda.
should i have made anofficial complaint then ?

Dads_Taxi 09-18-2008 02:17 PM

I would think you have done the right thing - making Mazda UK aware of the problem yourself should spur the dealer on to doing something on your behalf, if only so the dealer stays in Mazda UK's good books!

I hope you hear something positive soon.

How many miles have the tyres done? I reckon Mazda UK are assuming normal wear for front tyres to be around 18,000 and contribute as a proportion of that (so for example if your tyres are wrecked at 9,000 they might contribute 50% of the replacement price)

Dave.

AD4M 09-19-2008 04:40 AM

I'm having all 4 tyres replace this Tuesday after 13000 miles on my 07 Mazda 5 Sport petrol, Mazda are contributing 50% towards the fronts and 70 % for the rears but still left me with a bill for £238. They have said they now have a fix for this issue, so; fingers crossed this is the last time I have to deal with it

Dads_Taxi 09-19-2008 04:11 PM

Hi Adam,

please would you ask your dealer on Tuesday if they have a fix for the front tyre wear, or are still only admitting to the rear tyre problems?

Thanks

Dave.

kbaby77 09-21-2008 05:18 PM

:DSlightly different query to those of you who are experinencing prolems on tyre wear.

I was about to buy a 5 sport tomorrow 55 plate and thought I would see how users found the car. After reading ll the bad reports about the tyres i'm now unsure if buying one would be the wisest thing to do. I do really like the cars.

My car would not be covered under any manufactures guarentee so I would need to pay for any repairs etc myself. Based on this should I still buy one? and if so how could I get the tyre uneven wear problem sorted out and a private garage?

Sorry for the questions but I was all set to buy one and now i'm quite disapointed to read the reviews. Dont know what to do.

Grumpy 09-22-2008 05:12 AM

I would strongly recomend against buying a Mazda5.

It is good car with great features, when it works properly.

However it is the most problematic car I've ever owned.

It has been back to the dealer for warranty issues more than all my previous car together.

It has let me down more times than all previous cars together.

If you're interested in the Diesel the DPF is a real pain.

The service desk staff at my local dealer know me very well from the number of times I've been in, I've had EVERY fault on the Mazda5 reported on this site plus some others. As they clean the car each time it's in for repair I've only had to wash the car about a half a dozen times in 2.5 years.

In summary

DON'T DO IT?

NickC 09-22-2008 02:42 PM

Don't take the views of one person on a forum as they tend to attract people who have had problems and lets face it all makes of cars can have the odd Friday afternoon lemon.

The tyre wear issue only appears to affect the 17" rims, so if the car you want is on 16" you shouldn't have the problem. If it is on 17" rims and the tyres are half worn and seem to be worn evenly then the car should be ok. Make sure you get on your knees and inspect the inner part of the tread carefully.

If the car has new tyres then I'd be a bit suspicious. See if you can contact the previous owner, if it's someone who's had Grumpy's experiences then I'm sure they'd let you know.

I haven't owned the 5 for long enough to say it's fantastically reliable but I've had no issues so far and for the class of car it's INMHO the best out there. It's my 5th Mazda and I've had no reliability issues with any of them. My last car was an RX8 which if you look on forums has a few common faults but I can honestly say I had no faults whatsoever.

kbaby77 09-22-2008 04:41 PM

Thanks for the advice.

We went and looked at it and the tyres are worn slightly, but all over. No signs of uneven wear. Got on our hands and knees and really checked them over. So they look ok. They were goodyear tyres and not the dunlop factory fitted ones. We managed to have a look at the service details and could see that the car had had a service in 2007 and tyre thread checked.
We called the old owner who said the tyres had been changed once last year free by mazda, but she didnt know of any issues that her husb had had with the car and they had found it a very reliable car and circumstances dictated they change the car.

The only question with what she said does throw up though is; she said mazda changed the tyres free last year, which would mean they were changed at 20k miles. It seems odd why mazda wouldve changed them free when they had driven 20k miles!
if they are the only other set of tyres the car has had and they were changed last year then they look pretty good and havent worn as previous posters have indicated.

Think I may call the mazda garage they had it serviced with tomorrow tojust check that its only 1 set of tyres the car has gone through.

wrxseeker 09-23-2008 08:11 AM

Hi I have 2008 2.0d Sport and I still think my front tyres are wearing excessively on the inner & outer edges.

See this therad: https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_79748/tm.htm

Now up to 5000 miles and I cant see the 1st 1cmof the edges having any tread at all by 10000 miles.

Still it will be serviced around that timeso I won't raise it with the dealer nowbut willsee how bad they are then.

NickC 09-23-2008 02:05 PM

We're at around 5000 miles and couldn't really say they've worn more than expected or more on the edges. I'd expect to get around 20000 from the front's, as front wheel drive diesels do tend to be a bit heavy on front tyres due to the torque. Pop to Halfrauds or another parts supplier and buy a tyre depth gauge. They're only a couple of quid and we could compare our tyres as we seem to have a similar mileage.

kbaby77
, Mazda wouldn't have changed tyres with 20000 miles on them, FOC. How many miles has the car done since they were changed? The car may have had the alignment done and all is now OK but I'd check carefully before parting with any cash. I hope it works out for you.

NickC 09-23-2008 02:08 PM

Just a thought, I'm sure you have already, but check your tyre pressures with an accurate gauge. 32psi all round.