Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Default Tires

I have decided that I do not particularly care for the tires that come stock on the Mazda 5 Touring. They're not awful, I guess, but they really don't do much for wet road conditions--I'm seriously spinning these things all the time when it rains without trying.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tires with some decent rainy-weather performance?

Old 04-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Default RE: Tires

I put Dunlop Wintersport M3's on my wife's Mazda6 wagon this winter and they have incredible wet/snow grip. Not too noisy either.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 AM

id suggeset BFG Traction T/A's (all-season tires)...great in dry, wet, or snow. these are what i replaced my stock tires with after less than 15,000 miles.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:15 AM

I've always been a big fan of BFG tires. I have run them on all of my trucks (this is the first car I've owned since 92.)

Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 AM

I'm really suprised at how disappointed people are with the Stock tires. They're Toyo Proxes aren't they? they're highly regarded as being very sticky tires in the Tuner crowd.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:08 PM

yeah theyre sticky tires generally, but it all depends on what tire from Toyo youre buying....they have these plain jane tires (which are stock on our cars) all the way up to summer ultra performance tires, it all depends on what you get. I dont really have a problem with the stock tires personally, my mazda 3 handles like a dream with em, and i got great snow traction/wet traction over my first winter (*this past winter*...that doesnt say much since the tire depth was at its deepest point since i bought the car in November and all new tires should give you good handling)

all im sayin is that just because a company makes some handling tires, doesnt mean every tire they make is guna behave the same...

Caprice - id say shop around on the internet, read reviews, check out consumer reports (make your own decisions, dont just follow them blindly)

As for me, i think my next set of tires will be the Bridgestone Potenza G009 or the Pirelli P Zero Nero MS's ...my Toyo Proxes 4 - although an amazing handling tire, melted away on me faster than i would have liked on my Jetta Vr6...

Old 04-26-2006, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: was98strat

I'm really suprised at how disappointed people are with the Stock tires. They're Toyo Proxes aren't they? they're highly regarded as being very sticky tires in the Tuner crowd.
They're great as long as the road isn't wet. I can't spin the tires if I try when it is dry out...

ORIGINAL: MikeMzda3

Caprice - id say shop around on the internet, read reviews, check out consumer reports (make your own decisions, dont just follow them blindly)
yeah, that's pretty much the idea, I simply didn't know where to start without getting the names of a few companies that do tires first.