Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tire eater

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Default Tire eater

Hi new member here, just went to the Mazda dealer for what I thought was a wheel bearing going bad. It turned out not a bearing but the tires are worn on the inside ..badly. (18K) on the tires. The service personel said this was common on the 5, and suggested I but at least two (the back are worse than the front) new tires and get an alignment done. Is this typical of the experance that others are having with their 5 and will the alignment cure the problem?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM

From what I heard, it was only an issue with some older first gen models. I have a 2008, and have not had this issue (have about 55,000 km's on the car (about 30,000+ miles), and I have not heard of anyone with a 2008+ with the same issue... what year is your 5?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Default Mazda 5 tires

I have a 2008 Mazda 5 GT and the tires are have uneven wear, the inside edge has the worst damage. The Toyo tires had about 30,000 km before the steel belt busted.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 PM

OH yikes - that's the same year/model as me... hmm.. I haven't seen any tire wear though - I should keep checking just in case though...

... actually, now that I think about it, I have less mileage on mine as I switch to snow tires in the winter... probably only have 35/40,000 kms (20/25,000 miles?)

Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 AM

My 5 is a 2009.....Sport
Does anyone know if an alignment will fix this issue? the belts are not showing yet so I don't want to jump when the dealer says something needs to be fixed, not to be to cynical but their motives might be different than mine. Even tho I love this car, before I start spending my hard earned cash I would like more info. Suggestions on tires (dry)?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:17 PM

I have an '06, and I can't even tell you how many sets of tires i've gone through... ( maybe 5 sets in 50,000 miles)and the alignments don't seem to fix it. Anyone know why these things are so bad? Nothing but suspension trouble since it was new,too.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by dncrgrrl
I have an '06, and I can't even tell you how many sets of tires i've gone through... ( maybe 5 sets in 50,000 miles)and the alignments don't seem to fix it. Anyone know why these things are so bad? Nothing but suspension trouble since it was new,too.
Not sure why they are so bad but we are going through the same thing with tires. Heading for 3rd set with 38K on car. Front and rear bushing have been replaced 3 times, motor mounts have been replaced twice and just had the a/c compressor replaced due to an issue that Mazda knows about. Thankfully all repairs have been covered by Mazda seeing as we are out of warranty.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Default Tire Wear??? there are many of us....

Originally Posted by MRJEFFALLCAPS
Hi new member here, just went to the Mazda dealer for what I thought was a wheel bearing going bad. It turned out not a bearing but the tires are worn on the inside ..badly. (18K) on the tires. The service personel said this was common on the 5, and suggested I but at least two (the back are worse than the front) new tires and get an alignment done. Is this typical of the experance that others are having with their 5 and will the alignment cure the problem?
I have a 2008 Mazda 3.. Good Year tires were bad @ 15,000... uneven wear and chopped.. had tires rotated on schedule, had alignment checked was perfect. Complained to dealership to no avail, contacted Mazda Head Quarters and filed a complaint and ask them to replace the tires.. basically told me it must be my driving habits. 54 year old female here not running my car at the Indy 500 on the weekends.. needless to say I had to replace tires at my own expense no help or answers from Mazda or the dealership. From the research I have done on the web this seems to be a common complaint among Mazda owners, but Mazda will not own up to the fact that they have a serious problem with their vehicles that is causing this issue. No one should have to replace their skins @ 15,000 miles..should get at least 25,000 to 30,000 miles wear and that is being on the conservative side. IT'S A VERY COSTLY PROBLEM to the tune of $800 plus a year. This is my first Mazda and probably will be my last.. really sad because all in all I do love my Mazda, but cannot afford to put new tires on every 15,000. Hopefully Mazda gets enough complaints regarding this issue that the government will get involved and it will force a recall so Mazda will have no recourse but to address this issue..so everyone that reads this post that is experiencing unusual tire wear PLEASE call Mazda Headquarters and file a complaint otherwise get ready to suck up replacing your tires once a year at your expense!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by KeannaOne
I have a 2008 Mazda 3.. Good Year tires were bad @ 15,000... uneven wear and chopped.. had tires rotated on schedule, had alignment checked was perfect. Complained to dealership to no avail, contacted Mazda Head Quarters and filed a complaint and ask them to replace the tires.. basically told me it must be my driving habits. 54 year old female here not running my car at the Indy 500 on the weekends.. needless to say I had to replace tires at my own expense no help or answers from Mazda or the dealership. From the research I have done on the web this seems to be a common complaint among Mazda owners, but Mazda will not own up to the fact that they have a serious problem with their vehicles that is causing this issue. No one should have to replace their skins @ 15,000 miles..should get at least 25,000 to 30,000 miles wear and that is being on the conservative side. IT'S A VERY COSTLY PROBLEM to the tune of $800 plus a year. This is my first Mazda and probably will be my last.. really sad because all in all I do love my Mazda, but cannot afford to put new tires on every 15,000. Hopefully Mazda gets enough complaints regarding this issue that the government will get involved and it will force a recall so Mazda will have no recourse but to address this issue..so everyone that reads this post that is experiencing unusual tire wear PLEASE call Mazda Headquarters and file a complaint otherwise get ready to suck up replacing your tires once a year at your expense!
You must keep this issue in perspective. The fact is that Mazda3s equipped with 17" and 18" come with high performance "Speed Rated" tires, and as a general rule such tires have a MUCH lower tread rating than your run of the mill all-season tires. As a point of reference, the stock Goodyear Eagle RS-As have a treadwear rating (UTQG) of only 260; contrast that with typical treadwear ratings of 600+ for all season tires and you can see what I mean.

The good news is that there are some good performing tires availabile for our cars that also happen to have a good life expectancy. Consider the following (the first two are for reference only):
  • UTQG: 260 -- Goodyear Eagle RS-A
  • UTQG: 160 -- Yokohama ADVAN A82A
  • UTQG: 600 -- Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
  • UTQG: 560 -- Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)
  • UTQG: 540 -- Continental ExtremeContact DWS
  • UTQG: 540 -- Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
  • UTQG: 500 -- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
  • UTQG: 500 -- Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus
FWIW, I read the numerous reports of problems with the crappy Goodyear Eagle RS-As before I bought my 2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition (which includes the 17" wheel/tire combo). Armed with the knowledge that I was going to be saddled with sub-par tires from the beginning, I simply ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S skins the day I bought the car and had the OEM tires swapped out after only 714 miles; and I am so glad I did. I was able to sell the set of 4 (almost) new tires for something like $250 (recovering about half of the cost of the new tires less the $75 I spent on mounting and balancing). In exchange for that minor inconvenience up front I've now gotten 30,000 miles out of the Michelins and given how good they look I figure I'll get an easy 50,000 miles out of them (and I decidedly to NOT go easy on the tires as I like to attack freeway ramps and the very curvy roads we have here in hilly New Hampshire).

So, if you are willing to buy a far superior (and less expensive) tire for your car, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't get an easy forty to fifty thousand miles out of any given set.

Last edited by shipo; 07-18-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Default 2012 Mazda5

Good Afternoon,

First I want to say that I bought a 2012 Mazda 5 with only 34 miles on it, and after buying the car, I brought it to the dealership to have the tires checked and guess what, they were wearing unevenly so bad that I had to fight Corp. Mazda to get them to help me pay for brand new tires, I have had 3 door actuators replaced, my a/c compressor done twice, and have taken my car back to Mazda for the rear shocks before and they kept telling me there is nothing wrong. Well hey guess what LESS then 10,000 miles later I need ANOTHER set of tires and my shocks need to be replaced in the rear. Wow what an amazing concept. I have 60,000 mile tires on my car that I bought LESS then 1 year ago and have put LESS then 10,000 miles on them. Now does anyone else see something wrong here? I have 42,000 miles on my car as we speak, due to living where we live the millage adds up over time. So after 42,000 miles I need a THIRD (3rd) set of BRAND NEW TIRES.

Quick Reply: Tire eater