Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Thought I'd got away with it ...but no!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Default Thought I'd got away with it ...but no!!!

Hi All,
Thought had got away with the dreaded Tyre wear issue , but no; at 11.500 miles I have a nice 1 inch band on the inside edge of all 4 tyres. It's gone down past the tread now. I have to take it in for a service in the next 2weeks and have already mentioned this to to the mazda dealer (donalds @ bury St edmunds)
If anyone has any advice on how to handle this then please let me know, I'm looking for 4 new tyres free of charge or at least 90% contribution. It's really annoyed me, almost to the point of wanting getting rid of it after only 1 year and buying a Ford Focus instead.
Does anyone know if this problem is even curable by Mazda, or wabt causes it (presumably tracking issue ??? )

Cheers

Ad4m

Old 07-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Default RE: Thought I'd got away with it ...but no!!!

Hello Adam,

Well, first of all you need to plough through all 39 pages, or whatever it is now, of the Tyre Wear thread to help you feel amongst friends!

I challenge you to work out What or Why this is happening to our tyres, and who is responsible!

I think you will find, however, that at 11.5K you will be expected to make a larger contribution to the replacement tyres than your hoped for 0 - 10%. Front tyres will have an expected life-span of 20-25K, so you're about 50% in to those. Rear tyres I would expect to get more miles out of, so you should get around 60-70% contribution I would expect.

Certainly you should get a 4-wheel alignment check carried out free of charge. Make sure you insist on copies of the machine's before and after figures.

If it makes you feel better, my original Dunloptyres were soonwrecked too, but the replacement Bridgestones did not portray any of the symptoms and went over 20K on the frontwith even wear, and according to the print-outs I received from the wheel alignments, no adjustments were made to the alignment. I really don't know what caused the problem but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has gone away.

Please let us know how you get on won't you?

Best of luck,

Dave.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 AM

Hi Adam, did you make any progress with this?

Dave.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Hi Dave,
Car goes in on 17th Aug, so will get a better idea then, should they replace with michelins ?? (if so what type should I be expecting)
Keep you posted on what happens

Cheers
AD4m

Old 08-12-2008, 06:32 AM

Hi Adam,

my dealer recommended Bridgestone tyres when I had my tyres replaced by them, they fitted Bridgestone Potenza. 20,000 miles later I was ready for a new set on the front, and I opted for Michelin Pilot Exalto on the recommendation of the local tyre dealer. Too soon to comment on how the Michelins are doing though.

Dave.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 AM

O.K , Its taken A couple of weeks but Mazda will be paying 50% for the fronts and 70 % for the rears. Looks like the new tyres will be the Dunlop sports. Its going to cost me another £238 contribution though, but I guess it' better than a kick in the teeth

Lets hope these work ??????

Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Default RE: Thought I'

Do they have a permanent fix for this problem yet, or will your new tires get eaten up?

I am fortunate that I bought an 08 in Canada, so its not an issue here (at least as far as I have heard).

It seems strange that if they have been able to fix it on newer years, why they wouldnt issue a recall and fix all those older models that have the problem. Seems pretty irresponsible. Almost sounds like a class-action lawsuit

Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Default RE: Thought I'

I think the 08 models have a slightly different suspension design.