Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Rust proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Default Rust proofing

Hi guys,

New here at the forum. Just drove our new M5 (GT) from the dealership yesterday.Obviously they offered to rust proof the car for $700 (CAD) which is more than double the cost at other places.

I'd greatly appreciate your opinion on rust proofing in general (is it really worth it?) and whether I should do it at the dealership (pros/cons), knowing they will charge me an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Default RE: Rust proofing

I was looking under my 5 this week to see how a hitch would be installed and noticed rust spots forming above the muffler on the edge of a piece of sheet metal. I am going to take it to the dealer this week to see if they will undercoat it for free to adress the issue. I can't beleive the cars don't come with at least some form of rubberized coating on the underside. Good thing the rust warranty is much longer than the comprehensive one.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:40 AM

Interesting thread. Ever since new cars have been galvanised/electroplated/dip coatedetc the subject of dealer fit rustproofing has virtually dissapeared in the UK. There used to be a great demand for products such as Waxoyl that squirted wax into cavities. With long (up to 12 year) anti perforation warrantiestheres's just no demand.

The proof that that modern cars do not rust is in the fact that you no longer see cars on the road with rust round the wheelarches or the bottom of the doors. The days of rotten Italian cars are long gone.

It seems that rustproofing might belike Supagard/Diamonbrite and other paint protection packages in the UK - a way for the delaer to put some profit back into the car that he's just given you in discount .

But maybe I'm just too much of a cynic.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:17 PM

It doesn't really matter how well they coat the underside with paint or other forms of thin hard coatings rocks are going chip the underside and rust is going to happen unless one is proactive. A warranty doesn't mean it won't rust, I bet most people are oblivious to the warranty anyway. How many average drivers ever look at the underside of their car?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Mazdy

Hi guys,

New here at the forum. Just drove our new M5 (GT) from the dealership yesterday.Obviously they offered to rust proof the car for $700 (CAD) which is more than double the cost at other places.

I'd greatly appreciate your opinion on rust proofing in general (is it really worth it?) and whether I should do it at the dealership (pros/cons), knowing they will charge me an arm and a leg.

Thanks
Mazdy,

My 2 cent, go for it. Though I got my lifetime "rustproof" warrantee from Ajax Mazda for CAD $588 still need to check the underside every once in a while.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Does anyone know if the rustproofing offered at the dealer is better that what is out there, i.e. Krown?? costs me CAD $450 at the dealer for 4 years and it gets reapplied for free in 4 years. If I go to these other places it'll cost me at least $90 a year and have to go back every year. also has anyone tried these electonic rustproofing modules they sell at canadian tire? I like the idea of just paying $400 having it installed and then forgetting about it. does it really work???

Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM

Well, I declined the rustproofing option (from Ajax Mazda, too!). I've been debating whether to go to Krown simply because they'll drill holes all over my new CX-7! BUT, I think it's going to be worth the oily drip-mess. I've used Krown on my old 1996 Dodge Stratus, and it stopped the hood lip rust in its tracks. As far as my (limited) experience goes, Krown does work.

Two of my colleagues at work bought into Honda's factory-installed electronic rustproofing device for $400 on their new Accord. I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see if it really works or not. But that device needs to be turned OFF if your car is going to be parked for an extended period, such as when you're on vacation, because it'll drain your battery!

Kam.