Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Recommended Tools

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Default Recommended Tools

Hi, I personally owns a mazda5 and I am noob with cars mechanically. However, I am planning to improve my mechanical skills by starting to change its oil, brake pads and etc. The question is: should i buy a mechanic tool set to start with and slowly add required tools to the tools collection or just buy quality tools that I only need and slowly expand my collection of tools. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by haha123
Hi, I personally owns a mazda5 and I am noob with cars mechanically. However, I am planning to improve my mechanical skills by starting to change its oil, brake pads and etc. The question is: should i buy a mechanic tool set to start with and slowly add required tools to the tools collection or just buy quality tools that I only need and slowly expand my collection of tools. Thanks for your input.
For the type of maintenance that you appear to be contemplating, the tools you'll need are pretty basic, a metric socket set, a metric set of wrenches, and maybe a set of metric allen keys. The only "specialized tools" that I might suggest are the fancy brake caliper piston compressor that many (all?) recent Mazda's require, and optionally an oil extractor. I say the latter as the drain plug on most (all?) recent Mazda's requires a disposable crush washer for every oil change. Instead of keeping a supply of those on hand I simply extract my oil out of the dip-stick tube; haven't pulled a drain plug in over a decade.