Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Rear Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM

As this is your first post, here are the details for Mazda Europe:

Mazda Motor Europe GmbH,
Hitdorfer Strasse 73 D-51371,
Leverkusen,
Germany

Tel. 49-2173-9430

Please let us know how you get on. I'm sure there's a busload of UK folks with concerns on DPF, tyres etc that would like to know.

However, I think you will find that 'issues' are handled at a country level. So in your case, your best bet is speaking with Mazda Italy.
However, if you are feeling lucky...Go for it!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Angry sorry for the late response

thanks for the tips. last year i managed tochange for the second time the shocks, but now after a year and 9000 km it seems that the same abssorber is leaking, meanwhile even my right front abssorber is gone, and mazda as always doesn't wants to changeit. isn't there a way to make a legal action against them? in my town there are at less a douzin of mazda owners that experienced the same problems.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:30 AM

Hmm, so would i be right in saying that our 2008 Mazda 5 sport that seems to have a knock from the rear will be cured with new shocks?

I will be sticking in KYB items as quite learly, the Mazda/Ford stuff is turd.

It is going in to the dealers as it is about to exit its warranty so I am not sure if they will do it under warranty.

I will also be asking them to address the gaunching noises we hear from both the front and back.

A

Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM

I've had my Mazda 5 since new (Sept 2007), the mileage is now 54k and it's about to receive it's 8th and 9th shock absorbers. Both front ones are now knocking and clunking like mad. The rear driver side is on it's 3rd (fitted at 48k) and the rear passenger side is on it's 2nd (also fitted at 48k).
They are apparently 'gas' type or so I was told, but whatever they are they're 1) expensive and 2) hopeless.
My next door neighbour's Ford is on 110k with it's original shock absorbers!
Thanks Mazda!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by StGilles
I've had my Mazda 5 since new (Sept 2007), the mileage is now 54k and it's about to receive it's 8th and 9th shock absorbers. Both front ones are now knocking and clunking like mad. The rear driver side is on it's 3rd (fitted at 48k) and the rear passenger side is on it's 2nd (also fitted at 48k).
They are apparently 'gas' type or so I was told, but whatever they are they're 1) expensive and 2) hopeless.
My next door neighbour's Ford is on 110k with it's original shock absorbers!
Thanks Mazda!
Is it safe to assume that, for at least the warranty period, the replacement units were OEM parts? You can get both Monroe and KYB replacement units for the Mazda5 via NAPA, they're not cheap either, but they may well prove to be better than the factory parts. FWIW, the Monroe (aka. OESpectrum) shocks and struts carry a limited lifetime warranty.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 AM

As I posted in another thread. I recently fitted new Sachs shock absorbers to the rear of my 5. I paid £46+VAT each, trade, from Euro Car Parts. They're a beefier looking shock than the original and I reckon I could change both easily in under 30 mins. So, if I were fitting them to a customer's car I would expect the bill to be around £165 + Vat fitted. Much better value than a main agent.

Last edited by NickC; 01-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by NickC
As I posted in another thread. I recently fitted new Sachs shock absorbers to the rear of my 5. I paid £46+VAT each, trade, from Euro Car Parts. They're a beefier looking shock than the original and I reckon I could change both easily in under 30 mins. So, if I were fitting them to a customers car I would expect the bill to be around £165 + Vat fitted. Much better value than a main agent.
Do you know if they supply front shocks too?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Not off hand, but check the Euro Car Parts website.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Angry shock abssorbers

it seems that in italy are lower as price. 4 shock abssorbers from KYB are 230 euro + Shipping taxes (price shown on ebay italy). if you want only front or rear shock abssorbers the prices are from 100 to 130 euro + shipping taxes a pair.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 AM
Default Cost of replacing shocks? Replace at main dealer?

Just had my mazda 5 diesel sport (2009, 37,000 miles) checked and they say one of the rear absorbers is 'misting' and will need replacing soon. I've also noticed dark patches under one of the rear wheels where the car is parked at night. Is this consistent with a failing shock absorber? I've not noticed anything while driving.

Is it worth replacing the shocks at the main dealer? I can get it done for half the price at kwikfit, but is there anything on the computer that needs updating when shocks are replaced (that only the main dealer could do)?

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Absorbers