Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Radio - aux inputs

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Default Radio - aux inputs

Has anyone worked out how to get to the back of the radio and if so are there any aux sockets or interface connections there? I want to plug in a cable so as to feed my mp3 player through the radio.You can interface aminidisk or multimedia drive so Iam hoping there is a usable connection. Also there is a nice space (covered over)where the minidisk can be fitted that could be made into a slot for holding the player itself.

Anyone tried accessing the radio?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Default RE: Radio - aux inputs

Hi Tim,

There is an inexpensive interface kit available on ebay. there are none listed at the moment, but this guy is usually very helpful. Drop him and email and he will probably steer you right! http://stores.ebay.co.uk/thespeedlin...Q3amesstQQtZkmI've bought a couple of little items with no problems.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM

hi guys.. i put an aux mod into my head unit... the whole thing comes out pretty easy... the web site for the company that sells them is here http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

i am pretty happy with it

Old 03-28-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: tcs17_tim

Has anyone worked out how to get to the back of the radio and if so are there any aux sockets or interface connections there?

Anyone tried accessing the radio?
I had a Parrot phone kit fitted that interfaced with the stereo and watched the guy fitting it. He took the whole surround off the gear-stick first (screws were in the foot-wells I think) and I think that revealed the screws to get the radio out. All in all it didn't look too hard to get the stereo out if you knew where all the screws and clips were hidden. It was quite heavy though I seem to remember, and it needed something to support it as it was just dangling by its wiring loom once it was free.

However, I was hoping there would be some recognisable connectors revealed but of course it is one blooming big multi-connector. I too was hoping to make use of the "media" button on the stereo to get an mp3 player into the system - I was considering mounting a panel-mount 3.5mm socket in the mini-disk blanking panel. I asked the guy fitting the phone kit, who guessed that some sort of custom wiring loom would be required to let the stereo know there was an auxiliary player there and also make the media button active.

Having just looked at the link provided by traffikboy it looks as though something active (i.e something a bit more complicated than justthe right two wires connected together)is needed - maybe this emulates the mini-disk player or whatever to fool the stereo into thinking ithas an aux unitpresent, hence making the "media" button work.

Anyway, I've had the car 6 months since then, and as the stereo plays mp3 CDs, I'vemade a whole lot of CDs with 8 albums on each one, and with 6 of those loaded in the CD changer it's like having a 4GB mp3 player and I think that will do me for now!

I will continue to monitor this thread though!

Dave.