Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Parts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Default Parts.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good place to get genuine mazda 5 parts.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Depending on what you're trying to do, I found a nice quick and cheap way to increase gas mileage and horsepower on my 2010. Remove the air resonater tube. It's louder but well worth it. Especially since the replacement CAI is around $300. Once the resonater tube is removed, buy the K&N drop in filter and you just got a CAI system for $50. Granted, it doesn't look as sharp

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by abarajas5
Depending on what you're trying to do, I found a nice quick and cheap way to increase gas mileage and horsepower on my 2010. Remove the air resonater tube. It's louder but well worth it. Especially since the replacement CAI is around $300. Once the resonater tube is removed, buy the K&N drop in filter and you just got a CAI system for $50. Granted, it doesn't look as sharp
Sorry, removing the resonator tube and putting in a CAI or K&N will not change your fuel economy one bit (except to possibly make it worse in cold weather); making those changes will simply make your car louder.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 AM

hi i did the same thing on my mazda 3 befor i did the change the car ran a best of 16:98 in the 1/4 mile not bad for a 2.0 motor i installed a K&N filter and remove the resonater tube the car ran a best of 16:76 in the 1/4 mile not much but you could feal the differnts in power milage stayed the same for me .i realy dont try for milage so i cant realy say if it helped milage or not . but the mazda 3 gets from 27mpg to 33 most of the time spencerfvee................................

Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Here we go again, Folks....

There likely would be an improvement on the drag strip at WOT. That's where the benefits of a CAI/SRI are noticed, at top end HP. But that doesn't make the car more drivable on the street, and I saw no noticable improvement in economy when I did mine either. Just a nicer, cleaner looking engine compartment.

Seriously, how many people do or even could drive at 5500 rpm all day long on our streets?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM

Dang it, your burst my bubble. I wonder why I'm getting better gas mileage then. I just took it in on the recall so the dealership replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump connections. Could that be it because I'm seriously getting better gas mileage than I have been.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

This argument seems to come up a lot around here. It's certainly been a controversial one too, and Dale is adamant about his findings.
I can only tell you what I know from my personal experience, and I did not have a fuel pump change done.

My AEM/Madaspeed CAI has been in for a little over 3 yrs and 30k miles now. I have cleaned the filter once so far, as instructed to, and have seen no difference in economy and a slight loss of low-end power. In fact my mileage has gone down 2-3mpg over the last two years, but I attribute that to running fuel w/10% ethanol in it which is to be expected, but just try to find gas w/o ethanol these days.

If you feel you are seeing better mileage, and have been documenting it regularly as I do, who am I to argue with you? More power to ya', in that case.... pun intended.

Oh, and BTW: Before the CAI I too did the resonator delete/K&N drop in mod. Even went as far as to cut additional holes in the bottom of the filter housing to bring in more air.

Last edited by virgin1; 02-17-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Dang it, your burst my bubble. I wonder why I'm getting better gas mileage then. I just took it in on the recall so the dealership replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump connections. Could that be it because I'm seriously getting better gas mileage than I have been.
As engines age they naturally loosen up a bit and start delivering better fuel economy. Most engineers I know say that you need at least ten to twenty thousand miles to go by before fuel economy starts getting to a point where the fuel economy is as good as it is likely to get for any given car. That said, one of our older cars (a 1998 model which we bought new) didn't deliver its best fuel economy until there was over 140,000 miles on the clock.

As a point of comparison, the day we bought the vehicle we loaded it to the gills and drove from our place in New Jersey to a vacation point in Maine. That trip netted us just over 18 mpg. Three years later in similar hot and humid weather we made the same trip with about the same load and traffic issues, and got over 23 mpg. When the vehicle hit seven years old it was routinely delivering 22.5 in mixed driving and 25 on the highway in the summer, loaded and with the A/C blasting.

From the sublime to the ridiculous department...
The first trip in 1998 (which was about 500 miles) took the better part of two tanks of gas. During a trip in 2007 on a coolish summer day I was driving solo in that (still bone-stock) vehicle from Michigan to New Hampshire and decided to see how far I could go on a single tank of gas. I filled up fifteen miles or so southwest of Port Huron, waited in the toll and customs queues at the Blue Water Bridge, crawled through a construction zone near Hamilton that netted only ten miles of travel in one hour, and then again in the toll and customs queues in the Buffalo area. Even with those five "Zero-MPG" stretches, I managed to make it all of the way to Albany, NY, a distance of over 500 miles before I figured it was prudent to fill up. Per the trip computer and my good old fashioned math, that vehicle delivered 28.2 mpg, roughly 10 mpg better it delivered 145,000 miles earlier.

All of this was a long way of saying that had you left your car alone it would probably have started delivering better fuel economy anyway.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 AM

hi virgin your right on top end power . on milage i had a 2006 mazda 6 with a 2.3 motor i lowerd the mazda6 put 18 inch mazda speed wheels on put a mazda speed cold air intake on and a mazda speed exhaust i could drive the mazda 6 430 to 440 miles on a tank of gas my 2010 mazda 6 with a 2.5 motor i am lucky to get 340 to 355 miles to a tank of gas the 2010 mazda 6 now has 14,000 miles on it.. . i even gave my 2006 mazda 6 to my mazda service manger for a week to drive he was blown away at the milage it got so did the cold air intake and mazda speed exhaust help ? my sevice manager and the sevice tecks and i feal it did help the 2006 mazda 6 get better milage i sure wish i had that mazda 6 back .. i traded in my mazda 3 for a new 2012 mazda 5 van the 2.5 motor has a lot more power but the best i can get is 22 miles to a gal. but its winter.. at the drag strip we call this bench racing . to me its allway nice to hear what others have to say . spencerfvee
Originally Posted by virgin1
Here we go again, Folks....

There likely would be an improvement on the drag strip at WOT. That's where the benefits of a CAI/SRI are noticed, at top end HP. But that doesn't make the car more drivable on the street, and I saw no noticable improvement in economy when I did mine either. Just a nicer, cleaner looking engine compartment.

Seriously, how many people do or even could drive at 5500 rpm all day long on our streets?

Quick Reply: Parts.