Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

New owner Mazda 5 - EGR, DPF, Remap

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Default New owner Mazda 5 - EGR, DPF, Remap

Afternoon folks

Recently took purchase of a 2008 Mazda5 2.0D 148. There is a re-mapper local to me that can remap it to 170@410nm for a very low price. The remap will be using a generic remap of a 2.0d so no rolling road, my questions are.

1: The remap can also remove the DPF from the ECU, is this worth while? With new MOT rules potentially this year i can risk it, but if i can get the same power and nm whilst keeping the DPF then i wont be bothered that much. Has any one removed the DPF or errr cleared the insides, if so is power different?

2: My only other diesel car before this was a Mondeo 2.0tdci, and one of the first things to do was to blank of the EGR, can this also be done with the Mazda5? Is there a noticeable difference as the mondeo had a fair amount of pull after i had done this.

Cheers

Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 AM

Hi Mate where abouts in Scotland are you? I'm in Edinburgh. I've got a 2009 Mazda5 Sport 2.0 diesel as our family car and love it, it's even better now I've had the DPF filter removed (mainly used as local run about so DPF light kept coming on) and a ECU tweak done to trick DPF counter, also have just fitted an EGR blanking plate from ebay (no software tweak needed it seems as no error codes or ECU engine check light on) and it now pulls like a train! EGR plate also vastly reduced the amounts of black smoke from the exhaust as this was embarrassing when flooring the throttle, must have been the EGR valve sticking as a couple of times prior to fitting the blanking plate we had issues with EGR that made it undriveable. Not had any EGR or DPF related issues since and the car drives perfectly, also getting much better mpg as you would expect.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:44 AM

I am in Montrose. Where about did you get the blanking plate from? Have you got a pic of the location of EGR? Easy job to do? Still not had a chance to get it remapped, need to decide to either remove the DPF and replace with a pipe or remove the insides of the DPF instead for MOT time. I assume when you had the remap and dpf removal that you dont have diesel mixing with oil anymore?

Old 08-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Hi mate, blanking plate from ebay link below, pic in ad shows where it goes, literally 2min job as it's right at the front of the engine: 71. EGR valve blanking plate for MAZDA 3, 5, 6, CX7 2.0 CiTD | eBay

Just slacken the 2 nuts enough to slide the plate in and re-tighten (gaskets not needed) the difference is night and day power wise, and still no eml lights after 6 months so obviously no remap needed for this mod.

As for the DPF, the garage (PM me if you need their details) used Evolution chips for the software tweak that disables the DPF regen counter so no more regens and no more deisel in the sump so you can start using normal synthetic 5w30 oil instead of Mazdas expensive dexilia oil. If you contact Evolution they will tell you if there is a garage near you that can upload the software after removing the internals from the DPF. I wouldn't replace with a pipe if its not surrounded with heat shields as any visable mods to the DPF is an MOT failure.

Evolution will offer you 2 options for DPF removal, just the software tweak for disabling regens or the tweak plus a remap that gives more power, but in all honesty, after doing the DPF and EGR mods you won't need any extra power so save your money and don't bother with the remap.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:30 AM

Cheers for the reply. Will see if i can find a garage that will gut the internals of the DPF. Will order the EGR blanking plate just now. Annoying as i had one in the drawer for a ford that would have fitted but threw it out a while back .

Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Managed to get my EGR blanking plate in and yup your right quite a difference in power, or more torque i believe. I have a question. i am about to get teh DPF gutted on Monday and get the car remapped, but i have been told i also need to get the DPF and oil reset, if this something you have done? Any EML's when you gutted the DPF?

Old 09-15-2017, 03:28 AM

Since the DPF software 'tweak' that resets the DPF counter to 1000000 so therefore never actually triggering a regen again, there have been no DPF related EMLs what so ever and as far as I know there was no need to reset anything. Just make sure whoever is doing the software tweak is doing it right.