Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

New Owner (On Friday) - can you tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Default New Owner (On Friday) - can you tell me...

Hi Everyone -

My wife and I are picking up our Cardinal Red Touring on Friday (July 14). We test drove the Hondas Fit and CR-V, Toyotas Metrexx and RAV4, and Hyundai Tucson. The 5 was simply the best car for us and our varied needs.

I was wondering if you could tell me how the 5 does in the snow and ice. My wifes family lives in Upsate NY and we may move there in the future. Does it do well in deep snow? Would you suggest snow tires?

Also, what are the color of the dashbaord light? Red, green, blue?

Thanks much!

Robert

Old 07-16-2006, 02:34 AM
Default RE: New Owner (On Friday) - can you tell me...

Hi. I think you made the best choice! I live in Quebec city and we passed our first winter with our 5. Of course, here, we need winter tire. I got 16 inches wheel instead of the 17 mag for the winter. The stock tire are a little bit weak on water so I would not even think to try them on icy or cold road. Even if there's not a lot of snow, a winter tire composition will work better on cold surface. In my own opinion, the security of my familly deserve a few hunder bucks for wintert tire.

Have fun!

Pierre

Old 07-16-2006, 11:26 PM

Merci Pierre,

We bought the 5 on Friday. My wife loves it. I feel very confident that we made the correct choice and that this will make a great family car for us. She had a tough time letting go of her beloved Civic, but two days behind the wheel of the 5 and Civic is an ancient memory.

My wife's family lives near Albany, NY. Having spent many winters in that region, it's good to know that the 5 will need snow tires. Ville Qubec and Albany catch much of the same weather, although Provence Qubec, as you know gets, more snow and is much colder.

On another note, the dealer had to drive 7 hours to Georgia to get our car! No Cardi Red Tourings left in VA, so he tells us.

Encore, meric beacoup mon ami,

Robert

Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM

Hey Pierre,
I'm thinking of buying a 5, they look like a good all round package, but how does the car actually handle on the snow? I live in the French Alps, in sight of Mont Blanc so you can imagine the snow and mountain roads around here! With a decent set of snow tyres how do you think the car really performs? I'm stuck as whether to buy one as it's right at the top of my price range and no -one around here has really got the answer for me!

One other option is a slightly cheaper and smaller car which is 4x4 but I know it does the job on the road

Decisions, decisions....
Thanks for any help
Simon