Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 Sport Nav no TMC reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Default Mazda5 Sport Nav no TMC reception

Bought a Mazda5 Sport Nav 08 model 3 months ago. The TMC symbol had a red diagonal line on it from day 1 indicating no reception. Thought needs setting up. Today the dealer confirmed, after checking with Mazda, that the TMC has NOT been activated due to some sort of Licensing implications! Is everyone with the built in Navigation system having the same issue?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 AM

Yes.

Dave.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Smile

Hi Dave,
shouldn't all owners write togather to Mazda to put it right? anyone else interested in doing so?

thank you

Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Cool TMC on radio

Hi Guys

I have recently brought a second hand Mazda 5 sport with the factory fitted satnav. I have yet to try the TMC aspect of the sat nav, due to the adverse weather and wife and kids being ill not really gone anywhere to see if it is working.

I agree though with the other threads that if it is a licence agreement problem, then we should write up and complain after all the user handbook and the sat nav handbook all indicate that if it is fitted then it works. No mention of the failed licence agreement.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM

I posted similar question and was told its due to Mazda not paying for licence.
I would happily join any group letter going to Mazda. I think its disgraceful.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Sorry about my delayed reply.

That's a very good idea, it's been a while since I wrote to Mazda UK, I think I'll do just that. Maybe a bombardment of letters will make them reconsider?

Dave.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:38 AM

I don't mind writing a letter either but I'm wondering if Trading Standards might take it up as it's a case of "not doing what it says on the tin".

Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Smile Probably why you have no TMC in the UK

Sorry for butting in but I beleive it is the navigation software suppliers that have not paid for the licence for the UK. I will have to guess that if you were to travel abroad to, say Germany, your TMC indicator will light up and you will get the TMC information. The suppliers, both Mazda or the navigation people will say that it is capable of receiving free TMC (no free TMC in the UK).
When I was ordering/choosing mine I declined the NAV model because I was confident that the Navigation wouldn't have TMC and the rear parking camera wasn't worth the extra cost.
Do you have a name or other information about the navigation equipment and software supplied? I ask this because newer maps of the UK (quarter3 or Q4) may have the TMC paid when you upgrade your map. It has on mine so I get TMC now on my ipaq.
I 'fitted' an independant and portable GPS solution. In my case I velcro'd an ipaq PPC to the dash. Obviously not in a position to obstruct vision, controls or to foul Airbag deployment. I can add picture if you want. Also with the car supplied version I believe they have you over a barrel for map updates and they really know nothing about navigation, except as a sales feature.
Now I have added a picture of my navigation solution, the wire you can see on the dash is the FM aerial to receive the TMC information to the GPS receiver sitting on top of the steering cowelling.

Attached Thumbnails Mazda5 Sport Nav no TMC reception-p1010929.jpg  

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 04-06-2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: adding picture of PPC Navigator
Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Thumbs down Tmc on sat nav

I will have a look for the software information for you, when i get chance ie quater 3 or Q4. how much does a upgraded map cost if what your saying the new maps have the tmc licence agreement in the purchase price. Went out in the motor with the wife and kids and on the way back had a play with the sat nav and quess what ran straight into a queue of traffic...As we suspected it appears not be working as it should have highlighted the traffic queue as it was on a major road near leading onto the motorway.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Wink

Hi All,
Please advise which address would you be writing to? It will be better to have it all directed to the same appropriate contact. As I mentioned before the Toyata Avensis I had before this car had TMC working fine in the UK, it shouldn't cost much at all for Mazda considering the fact that a portable navigator (Garmin for example) can provide TMC via a £10 optional antenna which covers the TMC fee for life !

Best regards,
Mhero40

Quick Reply: Mazda5 Sport Nav no TMC reception