Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 Radiator Support Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Question Mazda5 Radiator Support Replacement Question

Last week, I noticed that our lower radiator hose was leaking. Taking a closer look, the hose had touched a pulley and had a small cut in it. Taking an even closer look, I noticed that the radiator, on the driver's side was angled out toward the engine. This must have happened when a family member went off the road this winter, but just now creeped close enough to create the pulley/hose issue.

All that to say I'm replacing the radiator support, also called the radiator shroud. My question is about the metal mounts/brackets that the shroud connects to. The passenger side one is bent pretty badly. I think there is an upper and a lower and it's the lower I'm concerned about.
1. Should I just bend it back? I've bent it back a good bit so far (see pic) and I plan to bend it back straight when I do the replacement fo the shroud, but I'm concerned the metal will become too malleable and could bend back. Probably not likely, but thought I'd ask.

2. Is it a bracket that I can order and replace? (see pic)

3. Is it part of the bumper reinforcement? (see pic) It's hard to tell from what I can see without removing everything. If it's something where I also need to replace the bumper reinforcement in order to replace the bracket (part of the system is welded on), should I then be replacing the bumper reinforcement. I'm guessing that's unnecessary, but I thought it was worth asking before I got too deep into the project. I'd also like to order all the parts before taking things apart.

Thanks ahead of time to those reading this.

PS: Parts Notes:
  • The bumper shroud ranges from about $80-350. Some places that have it cheap charge about $100 to ship it! The best supplier I found was carparts.com
  • I also found the under cover/shield from https://www.realmazdaparts.com/
  • The lower radiator hose was impossible to find and the dealership wanted $50 for it. I also found it for about $20 at realmazdaparts.com