Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 - hazard light come on by themselves = dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Exclamation Mazda5 - hazard light come on by themselves = dead battery

Our 2009 Mazda 5 has a unwanted feature which has popped up.
while parked the hazard / warning lights come on by themselves.
4 days ago it happened in the middle of the night and the battery was dead by morning.
Today - it happened in the middle of the day but my wife noticed it before it drained the battery -
the only other time was 4 months ago in the middle of the night ..... dead battery !
Anyone had the same issue? solutions? suggestions? (besides exorcism)

love the 5 but can't live like this .... thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM

This happened to me last night..
It's been preceded by the hazard light button giving trouble to operate - sometimes I press the hazard light and it doesn't stay on; other times it does. I'm thinking it has something to do with the button itself, so I'm gonna open up the dash sometime soon - I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:08 PM

I have a 2008 Mazda5 GT with the same hazard light issue. The lights do not always stay on when the switch is activated, they work for a while then stop and the restart again. Not only that but like the OP I came out to the garage in the morning and found the hazards had switched themselves on over night thus resulting in a dead battery.

So my questions are:

Where is the hazard flasher located on this vehicle. I have seem some talk of it being built into the Body Control Module but not sure if this applies specifically to a 2008 M5.

Replacing the flasher (if possible) is likely a good place to start. However, if that doesn’t solve the problem has anybody had any luck opening up the switch and actually repairing it as opposed to forking out $150 for a new switch?

Thank you very much.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:00 PM

I have looked at the fuse block under the hood and none of the relays etc. in there are marked flasher or hazard. There is a 10A fuse under there for the hazards but that checks out fine.

The clicking/blinking noise, when the hazards are activated, sounds like its coming from right up under the dash, above the pedals, behind the instrument cluster.