Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 clunking & crunching in front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Default Mazda5 clunking & crunching in front end

Hi guys, I hope someone can help with good technical advice as I'm pretty frustrated here in Hanoi...
I have an 06 Mazda5, with 47k KM. I moved to Vietnam in 07 and brought the car with me. Well, over the past few weeks as we drive there is now a nearly constant crunching sound from the front end. As the driver, it feels like its just infront of your feet.
This is not the cold bushing issue (when it was cold in Canada and you went over a bump there was a single crunch sound) - which I had replaced back in early 07.
Instead this is more constant noise and its certainly not cold here! - In Vietnam its about 30 degrees celcius each day. The problem is local Vietnam garages & mechanics either:
a) may not know what they are doing;
b) may be trying to cheat me by selling something I don't need; or
c) can't speak English so we can't effectively communicate.
Any thoughts or input as to what part(s) I might need?? Then I can try to find them and have a local garage replace/install.
Thanks,
Mat

Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM

It sounds like it may be the anti roll bar linkages, but it's very difficult to diagnose on a forum.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Default Clunking Noise

I live in California (San Diego) and I have a 06 Mazda 5. I had this clunking noise when going over bumps or un even streets. I had several mechanics try to figure it out. Finally one mechanic found the issue. The sway bar bushings were worn out causing metal on metal clunking a 40 dollar fix and not more noise.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Default thanks

Hey guys,

I appreciate you input in to this issue. I have a 2007 Mazda 5 and have the same clunking issue. At least now I can point the mechanic to the right place. Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Other potential problems might be:

1) CV joints, but the outers are usually more suspect than the inners would be. They tend to take more abuse and wear faster.

2) Upper strut bearing, usually felt (or heard) over bumpy/uneven surfaces or when steering the car.

3) Front sway bar links.

Try to determine whether or not it is a "rotating" sound which is usually pretty consistent and wil change w/the speed of the vehicle, or the usually more inconsistent up and down suspension sound.
Does it only happen when going around turns? Braking? Accelerating? Going over bumpy roads, etc, etc?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ssdspec
I live in California (San Diego) and I have a 06 Mazda 5. I had this clunking noise when going over bumps or un even streets. I had several mechanics try to figure it out. Finally one mechanic found the issue. The sway bar bushings were worn out causing metal on metal clunking a 40 dollar fix and not more noise.
Is that the front or rear sway bar? I am also hearing clunking noise when going over bumps but its coming from the rear. Had the shop looked at it a few times already but can't find anything loose.

May be it is my ears deceiving me and it is coming from the front

Old 11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on the noise and when is seems to happen most, I would check the sway bar end links first, simply because they are one of the easier things to look at. Then the mount bushings.
Also check out the shocks, upper and lower mounting points to make sure you don't have any loose or broken bolts. And finally the springs and their perches.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Default Mazda 5

Thanks to the posting I was able to get the mechanics to look at the sway bar bushings and replace them and that solved the clunking problem.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Are you still clunk free............................the reason I ask is because many otheres have done this, and also changed many other parts-as mentioned- much more, and still they have problem.........

Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM

@ Melalan, yes it did...no more clunking and it runs smooth and quite.

Quick Reply: Mazda5 clunking & crunching in front end