Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda + Rear Shocks = Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Default Mazda + Rear Shocks = Garbage

Well, just today my right rear shock went. GRR. Out of warranty now too.

I had it replaced under warranty in Sept of 2010. My rear left was replaced last summer.

So 25,000 km's and 14 months is about how long they last. This fix should be free, but what can a person do.

At least the replacement is the beefier 2012 shocks.

Still not happy. At least the dealership said they would do it for free, but I still have to pay for the shocks, so $300. Oh well

Mazda claims that there are no aftermarket shocks I can put in, but I will definitely be looking around before Mazda gets my cash...

Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Just found some MONROE Shocks: 08 2008 Mazda 5 Shock Absorber - Suspension - KYB, Monroe, Rear - PartsGeek
You should be able to get them in Canada.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 PM

Look for speed 3 shocks as they will fit the 5 and may have more options available.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:19 PM

I checked - I can get them at Canadian Tire for about $50 each. (Mazda wants $149 each for the ones from the 2012 model.

The question is... Are these ones Monroe shocks better than those from the Mazda 5 2012. Cheaper yes, by a lot... but is it worth payin gthe extra for the mazda ones, or should I go monroe?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 AM

I have never had any issues with Monroe, so I will say go with the Monroe's.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BCNorth
I checked - I can get them at Canadian Tire for about $50 each. (Mazda wants $149 each for the ones from the 2012 model.

The question is... Are these ones Monroe shocks better than those from the Mazda 5 2012. Cheaper yes, by a lot... but is it worth payin gthe extra for the mazda ones, or should I go monroe?
Considering how easy the shocks are to install, the difference in price, and the fact that Mazda's shock sucks, I would try the Monroe. The Monroe should not be a stiff ride shock as some others.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Okay here is the scoop.

Mazda wanted $340 including tax to replace both rear shocks with garbage mazda stock shocks with NO warranty.

Canadian tire wants $211 including tax to replace both with Monroe shocks with a LIFETIME warranty.

I am not a huge fan of Canadian tire, BUT $129 cheaper and lifetime warranty... Mazda Steelership, you are not getting my hard earned money.

(I LOVE LOVE our Mazda 5 - but its these rip-off dealerships that make we want to consider going with a non-mazda next time around... but I guess all dealerships are probably just as bad...)

Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Well, we called the dealership and complained directly to the owner. He said he will look into it and get back to us on Monday.

Will they replace the 14 month old dead shocks for free? Well they should... not sure if they will though. We cancelled our appointment with Canadian Tire this morning and rescheduled for Tuesday. We will give Mazda a CHANCE to make it right, but I am not holding my breath...

I could understand if I did some serious off roading, but driving only on paved streets should not kill shocks in 14 months...

Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

FREE SHOCKS FTW!
That would be nice, well at least for 1 year!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Ya, no doubt. I would just delay me spending $$ elsewhere... but that is better than nothing...

Quick Reply: Mazda + Rear Shocks = Garbage