Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Lame stereo in the 2012 Mazda5 GT

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Default Lame stereo in the 2012 Mazda5 GT

Hi,

I just purchased a 2012 Mazda5 GT for very practical reasons. The "upgraded" stereo in the Grand Touring package is a MAJOR step down from the high-end stereo in my old Volvo V50. This issue has become a real killjoy for me in my experience with the vehicle, and caused me to delay buying the vehicle for months until I finally got tired of spending thousands maintaining a five-year-old Volvo.

This is a major joy-denial by Mazda USA. I would have happily paid another $1k for the high-end Bose system in other Mazda premium vehicles.

I'm now toying with the idea of replacing the stereo (for yet more money than the GT already cost with its disappointing "upgraded" features). I'd like to know if anyone has successfully installed a more powerful system...with rich bass and crisp highs...yet maintained Bluetooth and steering-wheel functionality.

Thanks,
Derek

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 AM

I've got a GT model and agree the sound system is adequate, but nothing special. I would be tempted to upgrade if not for the fact that the crazy road-noise will drown out the upgraded stereo.

I don't think many people buy the Mazda5 for it's luxury features.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 PM

What were the maintenance issues with the Volvo? I used to drive a '93 940T, but that was from the end of the pre-Ford era.

As for your system, start by swapping out the speakers. If that doesn't help enough, replace the head unit. I did this on my '09 Mazda5, I'm happy with the sound now (and the OEM head unit from Mazda in the '09 didn't support .mp3 files, my aftermarket does of course).

Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 PM

My Mazda5 '10 GT's head unit is also lame. I guess mazdastock receiver are all lame. I just upgraded the front doors speakers with a Rockford fosgate power series, and there was only little improvement with the highs and mids, and like no improvement with the lows.

I guess we need a decent amp + speakers if youwant to retain the stock head unit, not just the speakers..

Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM

talijay: which model of the RF's did you put in? I am in the process of choosing new speakers for the stock stereo, and am curious if the ones I am considering are the same model....

Thx.
Dom

Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 PM

T the
Originally Posted by dgcam55
talijay: which model of the RF's did you put in? I am in the process of choosing new speakers for the stock stereo, and am curious if the ones I am considering are the same model....

Thx.
Dom
I got the RF power T1682 6x8..

Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 AM

tailjay: I was looking at these same RF speakers, and STRONGLY considering them - but after speaking with a Crutchfield rep, they strongly advised against them for the M5 with the stock head unit.
They said we need speakers that are very efficient (high dB rating).
As noted in my other post, I ordered the Boston Acoustic SE85 per their
recommendation.
They are one of the most efficient speakers in this price bracket - and they said I will be impressed with the sound they provide.
(I hope so!...and will update my post after I install them and take a listen).

Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Has anyone added more speakers to their 5? I noticed that there are none in the second row.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by cnoland
Has anyone added more speakers to their 5? I noticed that there are none in the second row.
I'm not sure if someone already added speakers for 2nd row. I don't see space where you can put speakers, and the door is not a good place, because it's sliding.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by drubinoff
Hi,

I just purchased a 2012 Mazda5 GT for very practical reasons. The "upgraded" stereo in the Grand Touring package is a MAJOR step down from the high-end stereo in my old Volvo V50. This issue has become a real killjoy for me in my experience with the vehicle, and caused me to delay buying the vehicle for months until I finally got tired of spending thousands maintaining a five-year-old Volvo.

This is a major joy-denial by Mazda USA. I would have happily paid another $1k for the high-end Bose system in other Mazda premium vehicles.

I'm now toying with the idea of replacing the stereo (for yet more money than the GT already cost with its disappointing "upgraded" features). I'd like to know if anyone has successfully installed a more powerful system...with rich bass and crisp highs...yet maintained Bluetooth and steering-wheel functionality.

Thanks,
Derek
I have to agree with you completely on this. The best way I can describe the sound of the stereo is "thin"... it sounds thin. I also would have paid extra for a premium system. What is frustrating is that the Mazda3, which this car is based on has an upgraded Bose system as an option.

I actually just tried to upgrade the speakers, Kicker KS68 for the rear (they play down to 45Hz), and Alpine SPS-517 for the front. Well, for starters you should see the factory speakers (I should have taken a picture), they weigh in at about five ounces. I am not joking. The kickers are a good 3-4 pounds. Anyway, I got one speaker in and tested it out...... the sound was sooo low. The kickers only require 6 watts of power to drive them, and they are 90db efficient, so it does not need much. Tried a bunch of things, but no luck. Conclusion, the factory system does not have enough juice to power the speakers. So I put the factory back in. I have to get an amp, or forgo the whole project. What a bummer.

I really do like the car, but I want a better sound system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lame stereo in the 2012 Mazda5 GT