Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Fuel Computer

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Default RE: Fuel Computer

Guys here is a user from Slovenia Mazda 5, GTA 143 CD diesel, same problem. But I have solution...sorry to say but we use liters/100km...[:-]
At first when starting to use the car I had at full tank on board computer 1000km to spent, but never I coul achive more then 700km, but surprisingly when fule warning went on, I put in 40L of fuel...I said what the f? it means min 15 L is still inside...??

So I went to Mazda, they know the problem....so you enter into test /setup like this:

Hold constantly your right **** inside meter (the one to reset milage on trip) and start your car
hold the **** until test comes into a display
then press it and each time you are in different test program (for speedomeeter, for fuel, for lights...etc)
the important steps are the one with DIS (distance) - I think nr. 57 and here you will see number 0 - it means calibrated ground zero for distance.
then by pressing INFO you will get 5,10,15 or -5,-10,-15 THIS IS PERCENTAGE
So you have to try and calibrate your car until it matches actual milage. Dont start immideately with +/15% start with 5 or 10, then try how much you make with full tank, or even better try as long as at your fuel light you will put in cca50-52L, it means10L remaining, this should be the normal reserve in the world...
Bad thing, I had to go 3 times +15% to decrease total distance at full tank to cca 800km, it means car is hungry, and mow I am putting in min 50L at reserve light.
but I never actualy tried to see if I can really do 100km after light...[8D]

Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Hi all, first post on here and, sad to say, its a moan about the fuel economy.

Picked up my '07 Sport 143 Derv at the end of August and, to date (and 4000miles), I've yet to better 420miles from a fill of around 50litres, thats roughly 11 Gallons or, in UK terms, 38ish-mpg. I traded up from an '03 VW Golf 1.9 TDI Estate that would easily do an average of 55mpg with me driving. The Mazda is hardly any heavier and, doubtless is almost as aerodynamic but 38mpg at best???

Now the trip computer reports 10.8litres per 100miles - thats 2.4gallons per 100 miles or 42ish-mpg, which would be acceptable. But under 40mpg from a fairly well run-in car is awful. Whether I drive the nackers off it or pootle around 400miles is as good as it gets.

Has anyone had ANY success with the dealers regarding this problem?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:55 AM

400mls is good we are getting 350 but that is a lot of short journeys.
Better on long runs though but prob 450 max.

Co.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:21 AM

Sorry I havent been able to post for a while, installed Firefox on my PC to resolve some crashing issues and Fireforx wont work on this forum.

Has anyone in the UK actually had a go at resetting the fuel reading as suggested above? I am tempted but was hoping others would have tried it already. Even though it is adjusting the litre in the tank it seems possible that it could resolve litre per 100 miles indicator.

I did ask them to adjust it when I had my annual service but the service manager gave me a load of clap trap about how there isnt any adjustment and that itaverages evenwhen idling or getting out of the garage. They just have no understanding at all, how can it be more accurate than measuring fuel when filling up and noting mileage driven - unless the mileage readings are 30% out!!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tcs17_tim

There was no activation required but there are 2 buttons 1 says info and 1 says clock. Pressing info takes me into trip computer and removes the clock display, pressing again changes the chosen trip feature, current mpg, average mpg, miles remaining (which seems to accelerate as fuel gets low each mile driven loses at least 2 on the miles remaining display!), average speed.
I have a US Mazda5. There is no INFO button. The button next to the CLOCK button says SET and only adjusts time. There appears to be no computer. The only TRIP control is a button on the speedo binnacle. Given the car comes with cruise as standard, I am surprised there is nothing more sophisticated than a trip meter.

I did manage to get the aircon/ambient temperature readout to go from F to C though ...

--

Joe

Old 06-18-2008, 04:32 AM

I did try it on my UK 5 but couldn't get it to work. Mine has just been in for the engine mount and pipe recall - the trip computer has come back saying 300 miles left instead of 400 something which looks more accuriate - don't know yet if they've done anything to calibrate/reprogram or if it will revert to it's normal very optimistic mode next fill up. The battery was disconnected as the mileometer had reset.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM

I've just tried adjusting mine and it seems to have worked OK. I think it's the sort of thing that will take a few tries to get it accurate.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:35 PM

My trip only shows 'litres' how can you change it to read'mpg' ?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM

I don't know. Does your dislay show miles or KMs. If it shows KMs then there should be a way of changing to imperial. Have a look in the handbook.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Just filled up at 525 miles, miles remaining hit 0 after 500 miles. Display showed 43.4 mpg, actual was 44.3mpg. The car's now done 2800 miles and the fuel economy seems to be improving with every tank as things loosen up. I'll adjust the miles remaining again to see if I can get it more accurate.

Quick Reply: Fuel Computer