Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Flashing DPF light

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Default Flashing DPF light

I've a 2005 model Mazda 5 TS Diesal that has covered just 18,000 miles, the DPF light started to flash on the way to town this afternoon.

I've read the manual and looked on this forum for information on the DPF system but stillhave no idea what the DPF is indicating, i.e. a genuine fault with the car or a faulty sensor and the car is fine.

I'm calling my local Mazda dealer (Stafford, UK) on Monday to see how to resolve this.

Does anyone know what the DPF is indicating? What Mazda do to rectify the fault and how long it takes? The family and I on going on holiday in 2 weeks time so need to have the car fixed

The car is still under Warranty, so I assume I don't have to pay.

Would love to have your feedback.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Default RE: Flashing DPF light

Please ignore this response and take more notice of my next one!!! It is much more accurate.

There is a section on this somewhere in the manual I'm sure, I remember the dealer pointing it out specifically to me when I was collecting my car on the day of delivery, and it occurred to me then that it must be a common problem if I was being told what to do if (when?) the light came on!

I can't quote the manual verbatim, mainly because I can't be bothered to search through it, but basically it says that the diesel particulate filter warning light will flash when the filter is becoming clogged, and the best way to burn these depositsoff the filter is to drive for some distance (it may have been 30 miles or similar) at above 40 mph and above 2000 RPM, so a good thrash along the M6 or A50 for half an hour may well clear this problem for you.

This seems to be a common problem on this forum, and is associated mainly with owners who do predominantly short journeys.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Er, I'd better point this bit out.... it sounds important in your case.

Having had a search through my handbook, I've found the following info, which I will reproduce word for word:

If the Diesel Particulate Filter indicator illuminates continuously - Drive the vehicle at an engine speed of 2000rpm or higher and a vehicle speed of 40Km/h (25mph) or more for about 10 to 15 minutes to remove the particulate matter. The engine sound and smell may change as the particulate material is being removed.

If the Diesel Particulate Filter indicator flashes - Take your vehicle to a Mazda Authorised Repairer as soon as possible to prevent damage.

So in your case the thrash down the A50 probably won't help!!

It may well be the case that the flashing indicates a faulty sensor, as you have suggested, and the urgency to get the car to a garage is simply to ensure that the sensor is working properly ready to detect when you have really clogged the filter up!

Once again, keep us informed won't you?

Dave.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 AM

I phoned my local Mazda dealer this morning and it was on the ramps not that soon after.

Apparently, flashing DPF warning lights can be a common issue for cars that do relatively short distances, so you other Mazda5 owners better take notice.

The story from Mazda is that theDPF light flashes to warn youthat the engine oil has become diluted with diesel fuel and the oil is losing its efficiency. That's why the Engine Management Systemcuts off the Turbo,restricts theengine revs and flashes the light to warn up that's something is not right and, I suppose,so you don't cause really expensiveand possiblyterminal damage.

The solution is quite straight forward (thankfully). The sump is drained of oil and refilled, but with less oil. A new and longer dip stick is used so you can't over fill it and cause the same problem again in a few 1,000 miles.

The car has been driven again this evening and the light has stopped off, so I hope the problem is resolved.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 AM

I had the same issue on my 2006 Sport a couple of months back. The dealer initially told me that it was a common issue when only driving short journeys and that I would probably need a filter change. However, when I took the car in they discovered that the wrong dipstick had been fitted (I believe this is also acommon issue and there is another thread started about this). I don't know if the dealer made any other adustments when the carwas in to be checked but the light hasn'tbeen back on since. The dipstick wasn't changedat this point,we had to wait quite a few weeks,because it was out of stock.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:20 PM

This is rather an important issue, so Mazda 5 Diesel owners should take note.

My Mazda 5 came back from the dealership on Monday with the problem apparently resolved. However, the light started flashing again yesterday afternoon and has been with Mazda again all day.

The fix is to "reset" the cars ECU with a lower oil level in the sump, this can take around 3 hours whilst the car is recalibrated connected toMazda's "computer system".

The service engineer claims to have drained 3 litres of diesel out of the engines sump. This is normal for a car covering just a few miles per day.

I was lead to believe that if your mazda is serviced by a none-franchise dealer, then the engine ECU is not generally reset and calibrated this can lead to a total loss of the engine (apparently).

The car is back home now, I plan to drive it around over the weekend prior to the family's summer holiday.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Mine came on flashing while on holiday and the Mazda Main Stealer charged me £77 + vat to reset.

I don't think a non-franchised dealer can do a reset so it looks like either sell it soon or pay up for an expensive reset (unless someone on here can say how it's done)

Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Same here!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM

I love the fact that the fix is to replace the dipstick so the car can't be overfilled!

I doubt anyone on here will ever put oil in their car with this system, long or short trips every day, so why would they need to stop us overfilling it?
It's so obvious the dipstick is replaced so you get the oil changed more regular, as the system is badly designed and over using diesel, which is contaminating the oil.

The fuel consumption on these says it all, along with the speed that the oil level rises.

I find about 4K and the oil level is over the full.
If you leave the ecu disconnected long enough it should reset, but you will also lose plenty of other things, and could cause other stupid problems like reseting the windows etc.
Under the Law, they have make all tools available to non franchised dealers. The problem is the price will be restrictive, until there are enough of these out there over 3 years old for garages to make it worth their while.
There will be a cheaper tool soon enough.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM

The DPF is the partical filter which collects diesel particals to reduce emmissions. If the vehicle is driven round town and not given a run the filter clogs. Try taking it on a 20 minute run but push through the gears

Quick Reply: Flashing DPF light