Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Comparing the generations, worth ~$6k for the latest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Default Comparing the generations, worth ~$6k for the latest?

Hi all, first post here.

I'm in the market for a 5 and would greatly appreciate your input.
Unfortunately the Sky-G and Sky-D motors are apparently still at least a year off, but I could live with mid to high 20's fuel economy.

It seems that 5s hold their value pretty well, and with a baby on the way (so warranty and latest safety features are more important) I'm tempted to purchase new, something I've never done with over a dozen cars I've owned...

Plus, from what I've read the 2011+ models have a more refined ride, slightly larger 2.5L motor, and 6 vs 5 sp for the manual.

For those who have driven both, would YOU chose a low mileage (<30k) 2009 5 for ~$16,000 vs. a 2012 for ~$23k?
I'll definitely drive both before deciding (have only driven the latest one so far), just looking for longer term input.

Has anyone been able to get the manual transmission with a Grand Touring model? I know it's not officially offered, just wondering if it's ever been done.

How does the leather in the Grand Touring hold up?

Any options you regret choosing, or wish you did?

thanks much for the input! Now that Ford has decided not to bring over the C-Max the 5 seems to be my only choice in a smallish "mini-van".
cheers!
Kurt
Milwaukee

Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Smile

guess nobody has experienced both versions lol

Anyway, tonight my wife and I took ~30 minute test drives in a 2012 sport manual (silver over black), then a Touring (grey over sand cloth, sunroof).

The wife has never really noticed the new 5 on the roads before, and was clearly skeptical about the "mini-mini-van" description I gave her. To my delight she absolutely fell in love with it!

Neither I nor especially her went in expecting to prefer the 6-sp base model, or the black interior, but having sampled both the 6-sp is definitely the one we'd go for.

The only option we'd miss is bluetooth. Every other 'upgrade' on the touring model didn't seem like an upgrade at all IMO:

- leather steering wheel and trans **** did not have a quality/luxury look or feel. Would replace the 6-sp shift **** with a quality leather one. Base steering wheel was just fine (and I'm somewhat of a steering wheel connoisseur!).
- the sand colored cloth somehow looks 'cheaper' than the black, and with the cream colored headliner and pillars the black interior isn't as gloomy as expected. I bet red over black would look great, but doesn't seem to be available.
- the Sunroof is small, doesn't fully open (which is a consequence of the outside-opening, headroom saving design I realize), and generates a good bit of wind noise at highway speeds. It's also set back quite a bit so the driver and passenger have to look straight up to just see sky out of the front part.
- does anyone ever use foglights (effectively) anyway?
- side skirts and rear spoiler don't substantially improve the appearance
- we only drove it during the day, but unless the stock halogens are really bad Zenons are a luxury I can do without.

We're going to test drive an '06 MPV this week to see just how much less of a Mazda ~$10k vs. ~$19k buys. We're really digging the new 5 though, and the bare-bones 6-sp base is the one for us.
Should be able to get it for a hair over $18k, minus ~$3500 trade-in on my old Grand Cherokee plus 5.6% taxes. Would try to get them to throw in a longer warranty for the heck of it.

A dedicated set of cheap but stylish 17" wheels for winter tires from tirerack, and all-weather mats from weathertech would round it out nicely.

Will post any progress!
cheers

Last edited by Nuburgringer; 09-25-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM

I have a 2009 black grand touring with everything including navigation.. I love the car! I hate the way they made the new ones look so much like mini mini vans....took the sporty look right out of it!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kipper5
I have a 2009 black grand touring with everything including navigation.. I love the car! I hate the way they made the new ones look so much like mini mini vans....took the sporty look right out of it!
Thanks for the reply. The new body style is definitely different! My wife and I like it (especially in red, silver or black), but I wouldn't call it more or less "mini-vanish" (what other minivan has sculpted sides?). More swoopy? Sure.

Honestly the looks are somewhere down on my list of priorities. Thinks like power, economy, steering feedback, safety, utility etc are more important.
I do wish they had a nav option on the new ones. The days of $1000+ nav options should be long gone. There's absolutely no excuse NOT to include a 5"+ LCD touchscreen and NAV software for <$500.

Have you driven a 2012? Tomorrow I'm going to test drive a 2006 MPV to see if I really like the 2012 $10k more than the '06 MPV...

Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Yes, they are still a nice little car with plenty of options for the money..i guess the main turn off on the new ones for me anyway is..the change they made on the tail lights. My 09 has the led ones and they are up high on the sides while the new ones not sure if the grand touring still has led's but they mounted the lights down in the center of the tail gate. Pretty much the same style as most other mini vans. And they removed the euroish sstyle turn signal indicators from the front fender's. Small item but i really like the way it looks on my 09 it gives it that european or german type car traits lol. They dont offer nagigation on the new ones? I really didnt care so much its just came with the car lol i knew i want a black grand touring and the only one the place had had the navi included. I got the car for alittle over $22,000. It stickerd at over 25. Got the bumper to bumper extened warr till 75,000miles also. I will have owned it exactly 2 yrs october 6th. So far i love it wish it got alittle better gas milage tho. Used to have a chevy equnoix it got horrible milage and ac broke after 4 yrs lol

Last edited by kipper5; 10-03-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Yesterday pulled the trigger on the silver/black 2012 6-sp. Base model, only option is wheel locks (anybody want these for $20? LOL).

I almost bought a super clean 2006 MPV with 46k miles for $11k (more power, more space, more boring, no DSC or side airbags etc) and test drove two $13k, ~50k mile 2007 M5 Touring models at the dealer (drove fine if less refined than the 2012, seats less comfy, cheaper interior, harder to read stereo display, less attractive exterior IMO).

Got the 2012 for $19,120 + tax out the door, financed 4 years @ 1.74%. Probably could have saved a few bucks shopping other dealers but this one is very convenient and reasonable for servicing.

Will be getting a set of front splash guards, tailgate step plate, and leather Miata shift **** here:
Exterior Accessories

Also a bluetooth speaker and maybe a Sirius radio docking kit at some point.

Also a set of rims w/ winter tires.

Anybody in the rust-belt do their own undercoating? It doesn't feel like there is much of any coating inside the fender lip, so might try to do my own at least in this area.

Looking forward to many, many happy miles in the 5! Lot of car for the money.

Name:  09.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  141.7 KB
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  152.6 KB
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  157.4 KB
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  73.2 KB
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  85.4 KB
Name:  15.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  125.7 KB

Last edited by Nuburgringer; 10-01-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats!!
I must say that as much as I dislike what the "smilie face" has done to the 3 series, it seems fitting on the 5... though I can't explain why?
I would consider installing fog lights though. Those blank panels look kinda' weird and out of place. Plus living in Wisconsin you may find them useful?

And yes, the MPV was nothing but a glorified Aerostar van. 'Glad for your sake you didn't go that way. Ford is making some very nice vehicles these days, but the Aerostar/MPV... well, only adequate IMO.

My experience, and I used to live in Pennsylvania/work in N.J, the best rust protection is regular underbody cleaning to remove road salt and packed snow/ice ASAP!!!

I had worked for a BMW/Volvo shop back in the '80's. We worked w/120 and 140 series cars mostly. The best car I had seen, and it made an impression, was a '64 122S, known to be rust buckets, that had NEVER been undercoated or rust-proofed. The undercarriage had surface rust, yes, but was one of the most solid 122's OR 140 series cars we had seen and it was 20yrs old then.
My best advice, for better or worse, is to take the car to your local DIY car-wash and use the high-pressure wand on the undercarriage and wheel wells as often as possible during snowy winter weather.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-01-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks!!!

Yes I am thinking about adding fogs, but having recently moved about 5 miles inland after living 3 years in an APT right on the lakefront, fog isn't nearly as big a factor as it was.
Alternatively, could install brake cooling ducts

As far as minivans go the MPV felt much more nimble and fun to drive, but the 5 is in another league

That's funny you mention Volvos - my second car was the hand-me-down '76 244 DL pictured below. Slow as a brick, but pretty swanky with a $200 Maaco paintjob (looks a bit like Mazda Clear Water Blue!) black leather int and sunroof. I don't remember any rust on that when I sold it in the early 90s!
Name:  KenDaveVolvo.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  231.1 KB

Good tip on the frequent underbody flushes. I do have a hose faucet in the garage so can spray off the salt out on the apron then pull it into the heated garage to dry overnight.

I'll still look into spray-on undercoating for at least wheel wells lip area - I can't imagine that hurting anything, as long as it's put on before any rust starts.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

The problem w/undercoating and rust proofing is that it eventually shrinks and/or splits due to weather changes and body flex. Once that happens moisture will enter the crack but have no easy place to exit.
Its held in place and takes forever to dry out again. Can you guess what happens next?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

The problem w/undercoating and rust proofing is that it eventually shrinks and/or splits due to weather changes and body flex. Once that happens moisture will enter the crack but have no easy place to exit.
Its held in place and takes forever to dry out again. Can you guess what happens next?
uh, bad stuff? lol
Gotcha - no DIYing undercoating.
I'll just use the hose to spray the undercarriage every once in while after driving on salted roads.

My wife took the 5 to work today :a bit nervous:
She is absolutely in love with the car, hopefully I'll be able to pry the keys away every now and then!

BTW - today I ordered some goodies:
leather Miata shift ****
aluminum dead pedal. Don't want the full set, not even sure they'd fit (not 100% sure the dead pedal will fit, but for $23 will take the chance).
Front splash guards. The rear ones don't seem like they'd do much, other than balance out the looks a bit.
Rear bumper guard
Bluetooth speaker
ScanGauge E computer. This should fit nicely in the space with all the blank buttons to the left of the wheel, and be fairly visible through the spokes. It'll be cool to monitor actual engine temp, voltage, CO2, intake air temp, etc not to mention having a trip computer.
Still pending: Weathertech winter mats and winter rims&tires.

Quick Reply: Comparing the generations, worth ~$6k for the latest?