Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Cheap $5 Oil Filter Wrench in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Default Cheap $5 Oil Filter Wrench in Canada

Hello:

Like many others I had trouble tracking down the correct size wrench for the oil filter housing on my 5. After messing around at Canadian Tire etc. with various wrong ones, then looking online with cheap wrenches but $20-30 shipping, I contacted a Mazda dealer directly.

Part Number: AKS75140 is the correct size at 75.6mm with 14 flats. However, it is a special order item and costs approximately $27 plus taxes, all paid in advance and then wait a few days.

After some more searching around I found a 76mm with 14 flats at my local NAPA auto parts store. Best part is it was $5.19. At that price I was expecting plastic, but nope, it's metal, and it worked a treat.

It is made by EVERCRAFT SERVICE TOOLS and the NAPA part number is 776-9007. My store had to order the part but that was only because they couldn't find the one it showed left in stock. No biggie, they had it there by 8:00 the next morning.

Hopefully this saves someone some time and hassle sorting out a wrench for themselves.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 PM

Dude! I know this is super old, but it really helped me out. It may be $7 now, but it's still way cheaper than any online options!!
Here's the link if any one else needs it:
https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/ECF7769007?ref=MA==

Old 04-05-2020, 02:54 PM

I know I am waking up an old thread, but judging from posts all over the internet, finding a correctly sized oil filter wrench continues to trouble many Mazda owners. Based on this post, I tried my luck with the BK 7769007 from Napa. It is not a good fit. It goes on the filter housing but is not snug. It may be able to loosen/tighten the filter housing, or it may just strip it. I wasn't willing to risk it. In fact, the tool is not supposed to be a good fit as its diameter is listed as 76 mm, not 75.6 mm. I also tried part #W54104 from Advance Auto Parts, which is supposed to be 75.6 mm and their website specifically says it fits my 2008 Mazda 3. The result is the same as with the previous Napa tool. In fact, the two tools appear to be exactly the same diamater when measured against each other. I also tried the STEELMAN 97365 Oil Filter Cap Wrench for Mazda, Snug Fit 75.5mm x 14. This was too small in diameter to go on the oil filter housing at all. Too bad, it was a really nicely made tool and appeared to be of high quality. And it was not just 0.1 mm smaller than it should have been. That would not have been the issue. The oil filter housing is tapered, so its diameter is actually smaller at the bottom than at the top. So a wrench that is a little too small would still go on there, it just would not go all the way up. Finally, I found that Napa listed a wrench specifically for Mazdas (of course, so did Advance Auto Parts and Steelman), the part number is SER 773867 and it is stamped 75.6 mm. I went to the store and tried it on in the parking lot right after buying it, so I could return it right away if it was a dud like the others. It fit perfectly. I am attaching pictures of it my post.

As for the correct the diameter, that's a bit of a puzzle. Since the oil filter housing is tapered, it is unclear exactly where the diameter should be measured: at the narrowest place, in the bottom, or at the widest place at the top. I measured the filter wrenches I had at the widest place, i.e. at the end that goes on the filter housing and not the end where they are attached to the ratchet. I measured from the midpoint of a side to the midpoint of the opposite side, the way one would measure a nut or the head of a bolt. Here are the results:

Napa BK 7769007: 74.9 mm
Advance Auto Parts #W54104: 74.8 mm
Steelman 97365: 72.7 mm
Napa SER 773867: 74.2 mm

As you can see, none of these are 75.6 mm, even though they are the widest diameter of the wrench. Incidentally, my Mazda shop manual says that the size of the wrench is 74 mm, which is closest to the size of the Napa SER 773867. I'd be content to conclude that the workshop manual is right, if the wrench didn't actually have 75.6 stamped in it.

Here are links to these wrenches for your convenience.

The ones that do not fit:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769007
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...104/11373078-P
https://www.steelmantools.com/mazda-...-14-flute.html

The one that does fit:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER773867

Old 04-05-2020, 03:26 PM

FloTool GRIPTECH Adjustable Band Oil Filter Wrench

Item # FT10620GT

This will work, while I seldom use it except when I work on someone's car that they had a GORRILLA install the last oil filter,

If the oil filter is installed properly you shouldn't really need a wrench to change them at the next oil filter service and they should never leak either. Sometimes read the information on the filetr about how to install them. hahaha!

Old 04-08-2020, 01:37 AM

Hi Callisto,

I think you have the usual can filters in mind. I am not sure you realize that the oil filters in these Mazda 3s and 5s are cartridge filters. It is only the filter element that is disposable, the housing is part of the car. Here is what these look like:

I own an assortment of oil filter wrenches of the kind you recommend, but I wouldn't use those with this filter because I wouldn't want to risk damaging the filter housing. I don't usually need a wrench either to take off a disposable can filter, at least not when I was the one who put that filter on. I think I carefully studied the directions on the filter when I was a novice mechanic. But the filter cover for these cartridge filters is supposed to be screwed on there at 22-26 ft lb and so you'd need to twist with a force of about 90-100 lbs to unscrew it if it is properly torqued. I think you'd have to be Popeye high on a can of spinach to do that.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ituba
Hi Callisto,

I think you have the usual can filters in mind. I am not sure you realize that the oil filters in these Mazda 3s and 5s are cartridge filters.
Thanks for the info I just assumed (which I should not have) that they were a spin-on.
. I have 2 MINI with canister one I converted to a spin on filter. I use FloTool but not sure if the # 1 or #2 for these Mazda you mentioned which will work.