Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Camber adjustment none

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Default Camber adjustment none

I bought the Mazda 5 Sport in 2007.
I have endured the bad tyre setup and got that fixed.
I have had replacment Drop Link to cure noise that you would hear over bumps.
I have had 4 x Shock absorbers replaced.
All of the above work was done under warranty.

Following a routine service ...
NOW .. I have discovered that the camber on the rear wheels is out of spec. This will cause the rear wheel to wear VERY fast on the inside while the outside looks pratically new.
Make no mistake, this was a dangerous situation. The rubber from the tyres on both rear wheels was gone. I talking about the last centimeter to the edge of the tyre was beyond thread bare.

The problem is that there is NO adjustment to put the wheels back into spec.

I brought it back to the dealer for comment.
At this stage ... I am on first name terms with the dealer service department. I am waiting to hear back from them.

Has anyone else discovered this problem and more importantly a solution.

Lastly, have a check of your tyres and make sure you put you hand across the full width of the tyre. If it fairly even wear across the tyre then you don't have this problem.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Default This may help

I have this image/data. Though I take their labelling with a pinch of salt because I don't trust their translation for Japanese (Nippon) to English. Because one moment they are 'talking' toe-in and toe-out yet the next they refer to Camber. In this case for this adjustment I say this is a Camber adjustment.

Attached Thumbnails Camber adjustment none-rear-suspension_page_2.jpg  
Old 09-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Default Camber Adjustment : Follow up

The mechanic confirms that there is no camber adjustment on this model.

What is wrong is that the is a support bush / rubber bung built in the suspension colume that is 'dented'. This permits the wheel the rest outside of the spec. A replacment of the bungs on both sides will force the wheel assembly back into spec.

From now on, when I putting the car in for standard service I'll get them to verify the wheels setup. It may cost a little extra each time but it a lot cheaper than having to replace tyres.

I have also learnt that there are a lot of places out there that change tyres and 'do computer guided' type setups. This is useless if they don't know how to use the computer or if you do not have the right settings in the computer in the first place.

Equally, it goes without saying to check the FULL width of tyres frequently irrespective of the make or model. I got a real fright with just how thin ( and dangerous ) my situation had become.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Same from me.
I am happy to recieve PMs but not if they are merely questions that can go on the forum.
So if you are going to pm me, you had better make it really personal..... ? ? ? ?