Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Cabin/pollen filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Default Cabin/pollen filter

Can anyone tell me at which side of the centre console I get access to the cabin/pollen filters on a UK right hand drive Mazda 5 Sport. I have the downloaded service manual but I'm not clear whether it refers to right or left hand drive.

Thanks in advance,

Mozart.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 AM

I'd like to bump this up to the top of the list, because I'd like to know the answer to this too.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM

I haven't looked on ours but usually Japanese cabin filters are very easy to change and they're usually behind the glovebox. Some models you pull the glovebox down, squeeze the sides in and the whole thing hinges down . The filter is just behind under a clipped in panel.

However, some other cars on a Focus platform are more difficult to replace as the filter is behind the fuse/relay box. Focus and Volvo V50 for example. If I remember over the weekend I'll have a look.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Ok I found this http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodka...u/HBPYljhZ.pdf

It's on the glovebox side. You have to remove the fusebox and it's mounting bracket. It's the same as the Focus and a bit fiddly to do. If you haven't done one before I'd allow about 40 mins to change it even if it does say you can do it 12 mins. There may be more room than in the Focus so it might be easier. The V50 took me the best part of an hour the first time I did one.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks. Does look a little daunting!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 AM

My wife had the car in for servicing not too long ago and they wanted to replace this filter - they wanted something like $150 to do it!!! I am so thankfully she was smart enough to tell them I would do it. Can't imagine why it would cost so much for them...

Now I just have to go pick up a filter - any idea how much they cost? Do I have to go to Mazda, or are they pretty easy to find? (Canadian Tire? Lordco? UAPNAPA?)

Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Couldn't find the answer to this, so here it is for UK RHD 2007 Mazda 5 pollen filter.
Its a bit involved for anyone uncomfortable with taking most of the lower dash panels off. But Mazda have great pop off fasteners and good plastics that rarely break as long as you pull in the correct direction and they pop out and back in fine.

remove glovebox by pushing down on retaining rods to release them, then release the damper rod by pushing to one side, let glovebox open fully down and the hinges will allow it to come completely out.
pull up front passenger sill trim, remove plastic retaining plug and pull off passenger lower panel (by passenger left foot).
remove LHS & RHS lower centre console panels by pulling against clips from the rear (there are locating tabs at the front so only pull outwards from the rear).
remove gearknob by unscrewing anti-clockwise.
Slide a plastic pry bar or credit card under the edge of the gearstick surround, pop the fasteners and remove.
remove one screw each side of centre console panel and lift backwards slightly to remove the two plugs going to the cigar lighter socket & then slide back further to enable the glovebox inner panel to be removed. There is a small lip and the centre console panel goes over the glovebox panel, which is why it needs to be pulled clear first.
Undo two screws next to glovebox striker plate.
remove two screws at bottom edge of glovebox liner.
Pull glovebox liner straight out towards you, it only has two retainer clips at the top but needs a fair tug to remove. There are holes in the upper part of the glovebox liner to grab and pull on.
undo two 12mm nuts that hold a black electrical box (body control module) with its metal bracket to the bulkhead behind the glovebox and swing the box & bracket to one side.
look up towards the heater box & you'll now see A long black plastic cover held on by 4 screws. This is the pollen filter cover.
remove the 4 screws , remove filter cover, pull out first half of pollen filter, then slide 2nd half of filter up and remove.
Make sure that the filter halves are linked together correctly (there is a slide channel on the lower filter that the upper filter locates into).
while you have all these panels off, it's a good time to check the grease on your gear linkage assembly (if you have a manual car).
refit the filter cover and put everything back together in reverse order.

All in all, a bit of a faff to replace the cabin filter, which means it will probably have been neglected in the past!

Last edited by Wirdy; 06-18-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Updated yr of car for clarity
Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM

there is a great video on youtube which I used and it was a breeze

Just make sure you slide them incorrectly and they hold up once they are on top of each other mine where just fallen down and the previous owner had even left the compartment unscrewed.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 PM

That video is great for LHD but no good for RHD UK models. The RHD cabin filter is changed from the left foot well, hence it's a pita 👍

Old 06-16-2018, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like the Mazda 5 has the same setup as the 2004-2009 BK Mazda 3.

Quick Reply: Cabin/pollen filter